• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Green Express Rail Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

Does anyone possibly know what tomorrow's charter, run by Green Express Railtours, is going to be hauled by?

All i know about the train at the moment, is that it's a diesel loco hauled charter. (And I'm on it)

I've got the times posted to me from the company with tickets, but it's going to be an early start than originally planned, probablly due to network rail putting us in sidings a few times.

Pullman Class.

The train runs Lancaster (dep 05:20- gonna be a bit tired!) -Preston-Blackburn-Accrington-Burnley Man Road- Hebden Bridge - Sowerby bridge- Brighouse- Edinburgh via ECML outwards (arrive Edinburgh 13:07)

Returns
17:07 Edinburgh-Carnforth etc via WCML

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
33s? I was originally replying to Craigs post saying 47s would be great, but 33s.. Never seen em, let alone been behind one before..

I also hope that with the reservation being in coach a, it should mean the carriage at the very front of the train, behind the loco power.

metrocammel

matt said:

A 33 on a Green Express!!!! lol, that would be outrageous, but I doubt the top man, Nick, would allow it, as the timings are tight with spoons on the front. (in the end it was 826 & 851, though 851 only worked the ecs from EDB-Craigentinny)

Anyhow, it was a great day, and it was very nice to serve you Ian, in the very snobby surrounds of the Pullman! ;)

That was one hell of a weekend, starting off at Carnforth last Friday, then ecs to Lancaster for the tour to Edinburgh, then fish & chips and a sleep at Craigentinny, then back down the WCML, onto the final stop, Brighouse, then to Neville Hill, where we dossed on the stock, then having a well deserved rest (and shower & brush up in the Northern wash rooms) on the Sunday, for the next tour to Edinburgh on the Bank Holiday, starting from Sheffield up via the S&C and back via the ECML, then ecs (with a mega supper "feast" ;) ) via the Hope Valley - then thru' a desserted Picc 13 at 01:00 and onto Carnforth for another en-train doss. By the Tuesday, I'd forgotten what a proper bed was!!! Though as soon as I got home on the Tuesday, I just fell asleep pretty much straight away!!!

Though still, it probably boosted my mileage behind 826 for at least another grand!!!

theblackwatch

Established Member
metrocammel said:
A 33 on a Green Express!!!! lol, that would be outrageous, but I doubt the top man, Nick, would allow it, as the timings are tight with spoons on the front. (in the end it was 826 & 851, though 851 only worked the ecs from EDB-Craigentinny)

Talking with Mr Green Express a week or so ago, it would appear probable that 33s will be used on the Barnetby-Aberystwyth tour in October - 47s & 57s aren't allowed there so that very much limits WCRC in what they can use.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
metrocammel said:

Anyhow, it was a great day, and it was very nice to serve you Ian, in the very snobby surrounds of the Pullman! ;)

That was one hell of a weekend, starting off at Carnforth last Friday, then ecs to Lancaster for the tour to Edinburgh, then fish & chips and a sleep at Craigentinny, then back down the WCML, onto the final stop, Brighouse, then to Neville Hill, where we dossed on the stock, then having a well deserved rest (and shower & brush up in the Northern wash rooms) on the Sunday, for the next tour to Edinburgh on the Bank Holiday, starting from Sheffield up via the S&C and back via the ECML, then ecs (with a mega supper "feast" ;) ) via the Hope Valley - then thru' a desserted Picc 13 at 01:00 and onto Carnforth for another en-train doss. By the Tuesday, I'd forgotten what a proper bed was!!! Though as soon as I got home on the Tuesday, I just fell asleep pretty much straight away!!!

Though still, it probably boosted my mileage behind 826 for at least another grand!!!

Thanks for your service mate!

I've just been through Waverly again this afternoon, "bashing" (What's the correct term for a Voyager?) the 09:51 (08:25 ex Plymouth) Taunton to Edinburgh via Derby, and the 17:52 Edinburgh to Birmingham N St as far as Preston.

Was a bit different going along the ECML north of York on 221 133 in FC, compared with the charter!

I'm a bit *****d off at seeing an email about the MML HST on the Mancheter to Brum shuttles on Monday tho.. I got the 11:24 ex Manchester- I could've got an HST on the 14:24!!

Edit: The Pullman carriage was very nice tbh, but I couldn't tell the difference between Super First, and Pullman?

David

Established Member
theblackwatch said:
Talking with Mr Green Express a week or so ago, it would appear probable that 33s will be used on the Barnetby-Aberystwyth tour in October - 47s & 57s aren't allowed there so that very much limits WCRC in what they can use.

Can you give me a link for this tour please?

PS. Nice meeting you last weekend.

Ben

The Ale aboard The Green Express Tours is From Huddersfield! :D

metrocammel

theblackwatch said:

Ahhh well, that is slightly different, as all the other "Green Express" tours until the end of the year are run by Dave Tyler (sp?), rather than "our god!" (aka Mr Harvey). Those tours are "posher" than ours, and the stewards aren't voluntary like us hard working souls (or fools!!!) So yep, the Aber tour will probably use a pair of Cromptons, but it would have been funny coming up Beatock with one Crompton on the front, and one DIT! 47826 was struggling with the dead spoon on the back, so a type 3 with a dead weight on the back would have no chance!

158 said:
The Ale aboard The Green Express Tours is From Huddersfield! :D

The Riverhead Brewery, from Marsden, to be precise.
A lot of the volunteers are from Hudds as well, as it was originally started as a Green Party protest by the Kirklees Green Party back in the 80's - (a 6 car MetCam from Hudds to Carlisle via the S&C!!!- My Lords!!)

clagmonster

Established Member
Yes, Railtourer are advertising Aber as a pair of cromptons. However, now WCRC have got 37248 going there is the possibility of that dropping (in multi with a 33, both are blue star), though 33025 with another would be infinatley preferable. The one problem with the Aber tour is that it is midweek.

theblackwatch

Established Member
87015 said:
Yes, i was quite finished when i realised that :(

This is the second weekday tour they've done to Aberystwyth - so obviously it's quite popular! Ideal for those who work weekends or have other commitments then and can't do the majority of tours. Also for cranks, it keeps the weekends free for galas and is a good excuse for a day off midweek - winners all round!!! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.