• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greenwich DLR Station - seating removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

burneside

I noticed yesterday that all the seating on platform 3 has been removed. Whilst on the station today I noticed a member of staff lurking so asked her why this has happened, she thinks it is due to the expected Olympic crowds, in which case the platform 4 seating will disappear next week. I hope we get it back once the games are over. I've emailed DLR customer services for clarification, but in my experience they don't have a good track record of responding to enquiries.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GodAtum

On Moderation
isnt it a requirement for disabled/elderly people to have a place to sit?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Surely people must know by now that no inconvenience is too great for the honour and the glory of this Incredible experience.

:roll:

Clip

Established Member
Surely people must know by now that no inconvenience is too great for the honour and the glory of this Incredible experience.

:roll:

YAWN.

There are a few stations that have had them removed - notably those that have restricted platform space like Shadwell so that crowd control can be made a little easier. They will be put back after the Olympics.

burneside

YAWN.

There are a few stations that have had them removed - notably those that have restricted platform space like Shadwell so that crowd control can be made a little easier. They will be put back after the Olympics.

It would have been courteous of the DLR to put up a notice to that effect then, instead of removing the seating without warning or explanation.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
It does seem reasonable removing seating because of Olympic crowds, and you're not going to be waiting too long for the DLR

burneside

It does seem reasonable removing seating because of Olympic crowds, and you're not going to be waiting too long for the DLR

There wasn't much seating in the first place, the extra room created is negligible. And as already pointed out, the elderly and disabled do need seating, trains run at 10 minute intervals outside peak time.

Clip

Established Member
It would have been courteous of the DLR to put up a notice to that effect then, instead of removing the seating without warning or explanation.

Aye, they should have put posters up.

There wasn't much seating in the first place, the extra room created is negligible. And as already pointed out, the elderly and disabled do need seating, trains run at 10 minute intervals outside peak time.

That will not be the case during the Olympics though. They are practically using every vehicle in their fleet and all services will be 3 car consists and they will be runnign a different timetable. Ive got a copy somehwere of the frequency.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Further up the line (the SE line through Greenwich, not the DLR), Woolwich Dockyard station is being closed altogether for the olympics. Local station for thousands of households, and a good half-mile away from the nearest alternative (Woolwich Arsenal, which also is a zone further out so presumably no good for people with zone 3 travelcards).

I assume there's some good reason for the closure in terms of crowd planning but feel sorry for the many people who'll be affected by it.

Giugiaro

And as already pointed out, the elderly and disabled do need seating, trains run at 10 minute intervals outside peak time.

At least they don't run every half an hour like it does here...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I assume there's some good reason for the closure in terms of crowd planning but feel sorry for the many people who'll be affected by it.

Looking over the example of the Madrid Metro on the WYD 2011, some stations near Quatro Vientos were closed to make traffic do less stops, thus shortening travel time, and also to take crowds from and to planned paths. But that was only applied for two days, not an entire month like the Olympics!

Class377/5

Established Member

Yes it doesn't create much space but it's a trip hazard at the crowd levels expected. So they've removed it to allow as much passenger movement as possible.

It's a sensible soluation as its a temporary problem. With more frequent trains all day long, the waiting time will be minimal anyway.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
IIRC Woolwich Dockyard is being closed as Olympic Shooting is taking place nearby at the Royal Charlton Barracks or similar. I'm not sure how those two corralate but apprently they do. Other stations nearby like Maze Hill and Westcombe Park see some reduction to enable more services / capacity to serve Greenwich and Woolwich, this may also affect WWD too.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I think the reasoning is that trains are going to get slowed down by all the extra people getting on and off at stations, so SouthEastern were looking for places that trains could run through without stopping to make up the time.

Established Member
I've heard St John's station is to be closed during the Olympics as well, any ideas why?

burneside

I have had a response from DLR customer services, and they cannot even confirm IF the seating at Greenwich (and other stations) will be reinstated, let alone when, so it is possible the seating has gone forever. Not quite the legacy I was expecting from London 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.