• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grenade found near train line [Filey] (10/04/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1978

http://www.fileymercury.co.uk/news/...ter-grenade-found-near-railway-line-1-7844566

Trains cancelled after grenade found near railway line

Train passengers between Scarborough and Bridlington have faced delays after an unexploded grenade was found near the railway line.

The grenade is believed to have been found by an allotment-holder in Filey at about 4pm.

An exclusion zone was put in place by Northern Rail and trains have been suspended between Bridlington and Scarborough.

Services between Goole and Scarborough were forced to terminate several stops early but trains kept running between Hull and Bridlington.

A Northern Rail spokeswoman said emergency services were dealing with the incident.

The exclusion zone was due to be lifted at 6pm.

Only seemed to be one train in each direction from Scarborough to Bridlington cancelled that I can see, but presumably you don't come across one of these everyday.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crispy1978

There are a big set of allotments just yards the Scarborough side of Filey station, the former Butlins camp is a bit further south of there.

Not sure if it is a WW2 grenade or not; must admit it was my initial thoughts it was - but that's just 'gut instinct'.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Seco...travel-chaos/story-29090073-detail/story.html

Part of story:

An exclusion zone was put in place by Northern Rail and trains have been suspended between Bridlington and Scarborough.

Army explosive experts took away the grenade and carried out a controlled explosion on Filey Beach.

North Yorkshire Police tweeted: "The grenade, believed from World War Two, was destroyed in a controlled and safe manner on Filey beach. It's in a million pieces now!

"Excellent work securing the area and maintaining safety of local residents."

backontrack

Established Member
Easy for them to say. If the grenade exploded, it would still be in a million pieces...

...of course I'm being facetious. But I'm intrigued as to how it ended up there. If it's from WW2, than did someone pick it up, or what?

crispy1978

Easy for them to say. If the grenade exploded, it would still be in a million pieces...

...of course I'm being facetious. But I'm intrigued as to how it ended up there. If it's from WW2, than did someone pick it up, or what?

I always wonder how these lay undetected for 70 years. Literally a ticking timebomb.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I always wonder how these lay undetected for 70 years. Literally a ticking timebomb.

No, it wasn't literally ticking or even on a timer. And with millions of these made during WW2 and issued to thousands of troops, it's not really surprising that a few went astray. Could have been nasty nonetheless.

Google tells me that the unfinished Butlins camp was requisitioned by the RAF during WW2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.