• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GRIDS

56's are HELLFIRE

• False

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure didn't ever hear one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yd9mnx.jpg

56088 looking sad standing on the line of stored loco's at thronaby
this brings back the days of the Hoyer Containers and them thrashing out of the loop on loaded MGR's ohh those were the days

Tomnick

Established Member
One of my last memories of 56s - in their last few days - was watching one move a heavy train of HAAs from a standing start at Wrawby Junction towards the Lincoln line...could hear it powering away for at least five minutes. That was the last time I ever saw one (under its own power at least) on the mainline :( . Did finally get haulage behind a 56 (006) though - even if that was only a quick shunt at 'Railfest' last year ;) .

Dennis

Established Member
Very rarely got to see or hear 56's down here in the middle of Wiltshire but you certainly knew when there was one about. The good news is they may be back, Jarvis have bought 4 for infrastucture trains (two for refurb and two for spares / scrap). FM rail also has five, one of which (56125?) is currently being fitted with OTMR and TPWS. What are the chances of a 56 hauled raltour next year?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Jordy said:
Noooo bring back the grids :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jordy

Off wnxx

"The sale of 56057 has been agreed and in the fullness of time it is set to go mainline with Cotswold Rail. "

Simming

My best grid moments where the plasmor block trains racing through doncaster on full bore.....NICE!!

Jim

Established Member
Nick said:
Define hellfire and I may be able to answer.

Effing Brilliant. It clagged & noised well (my understanding anyway)

Jordy

Established Member
matt said:
"The sale of 56057 has been agreed and in the fullness of time it is set to go mainline with Cotswold Rail. "

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have loads of Grid footage recorded at Barnetby, I should put it on my website sometime.

Jordy

AJP

GRIDZ Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D They were well good at least we still have th eclass 60's :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm still waiting for an answer to Nick's request for a definition of 'hellfire' from 6M60...

With regards to 56s, I never have seen one working properly in reality, seen clips of them on DVDs and stuff, but what I have seen there was nothing special. Indeed, the clip of 56097 (IIRC, might have been a different number) on the Nene Valley showed how badly the track wanted replacing IMO!

56s back on the mainline will be interesting, I'll be eager to see how well they work.

So to answer the poll question, as there is no suitable answer for me there, I'll have to say the 60s are the one freight loco class that almost guarentees hellfire performances. Indeed, coming off the incline on the Severn TJ side of the Severn Tunnel can get some interesting results, more so if it's held at the signal near the top of that incline! :D

Nick

Jim said:
Nick said:
Define hellfire and I may be able to answer.

Effing Brilliant. It clagged & noised well (my understanding anyway)

Ah must be the high levels of released Co2 which give a 'good feeling'

Jim

Established Member
That is why everyone goes home acting strangly after seeing a Wessex 31 starting :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.