• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimsby to the Medway Towns - this Fri

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Hi,

I have a very quick one. I need to get from Grimsby Town to the Holiday Inn Rochester (which isn't really in Rochester) leaving Grimsby at 16:36 on Friday.

I'm returning on Sunday afternoon, or possibly Monday. As my plans aren't totally fixed, I'm looking, I'd imagine, at Off-Peak Return.

Any cheeky splits? Time is of the essence on the outward. I have almost sixty quid in Tesco vouchers, so I can cover the standard fare, but I wouldn't mind not spending the lot.

Thanking you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blakey1152

Not sure of any cheeky splits..but Southeastern currently has a 25% off offer on its weekender tickets providing of course you're returning on the Sunday rather than the Monday.

Might knock a few pence off the fare on the Southeastern leg.

Blakey

DeeGee

I've found Super Offpeak Return GMB-Grantham (Hull Trains+TPE Only) and Super Offpeak Return Grantham-RTR at £31.50+£67.70 = £99.20, and all Hull Trains stop at Grantham so it should be OK if I'm prepared to restrict myself to Hull Trains. Need to double-check the timetable first.

Any other suggestions? I'm happy going via Sheffield if that can be cheaper.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As you are travelling off peak, it is unlikely that "splitting" is going to be cheaper, at least not for walk-up travel.

DeeGee

I'm finding that. Occasionally I can find something fun for the more unusual journeys with several possible routes, but this one seems relatively straightforward.

Given some of the journeys that I do are in the Network Railcard area, I'm not averse to buying a Network Card, then splitting to profit from that, but that then excludes me from VTEC, doesn't it?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm finding that. Occasionally I can find something fun for the more unusual journeys with several possible routes, but this one seems relatively straightforward.

Given some of the journeys that I do are in the Network Railcard area, I'm not averse to buying a Network Card, then splitting to profit from that, but that then excludes me from VTEC, doesn't it?
(Assuming no Season is held) if you split at Stevenage, then it restricts you to a small number of VTEC services, if you split at Huntingdon (tht furthest north you can get on that Railcard) then you're restricted to the stoppers operated by GTR (technically you could get VTEC to Stevenage, GTR to Peterborough, then VTEC again but that'd be pointless)

Network Area map: http://www.railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/files/map.pdf

An SVR Huntingdon - Rochester +Any Permitted is £29.50 with a Railcard.

It's £71.90 for Hull - Huntingdon (it's arguably not worth the 20p saving to restrict yourself to "Hull Trains Only" as far as Grantham!)

DeeGee

That Holiday Inn is closer to Chatham Station than Rochester.

Straight up the Maidstone Road and also on a direct bus route from outside the station.

Cheers, wasn't 100% certain. As luck would have it I was just looking it up.

Is it only the 101? How late do they run?

extendedpaul

The final 101 on a weekday leaves Chatham Station at 23.39. The previous departures are 22.39 and 22.09 - there's no 23.09. About a 10 minute bus journey. Usually plenty of taxis outside the station otherwise.

That is the only bus route there.

DeeGee

I have a quick additional question. I'm just going to go for Grimsby Town to Chatham SSR at £104 (although I quite fancy Cleethorpes as an origin).

I've noticed that the flow also contains stations on the Medway Valley Line as well as Barming. My parents live in Aylesford.

As I'm now leaving earlier than planned, if I wanted to surprise my family (if timings allowed) by dropping by for tea, would it be possible to get a ticket to, for instance, Aylesford instead of Chatham, but then, if my plans changed, to excess it overdistance from Strood to Chatham? Or would that be awkward?

Romilly

Established Member
I think that you mean making an outward Grimsby-Strood-Aylesford-Strood-Chatham journey on one day and a return Chatham-Strood-Grimsby journey on a subsequent day.

You will have a Grimsby-Strood-Aylesford-Strood-Grimsby ticket and so would need an extra ticket for Strood-Chatham-Strood. A Strood-Chatham single is £2.70, but if you are returning on Sunday (not Monday), a Southeastern Strood-Chatham weekender return is £3.70 but if bought no later than Friday from Southeastern's website is only £2.80 (special 25% off offer).

And at that price, if you don't in fact go via Aylesford it may be that it is simpler to buy Strood-Chatham-Strood tickets rather than trying for excesses.

DeeGee

Thanks,

I was half thinking Grimsby - Strood - Aylesford on Friday, and Chatham - Strood - Grimsby on the other, with the journey between AYL and CTM done in my dad's car.

Although, actually, now I think of it, I'll be returning from Ebbsfleet. Bear with...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Right, now I've called in favours and such like, I'm looking at the following itinerary:

Friday: Cleethorpes-CTM
Saturday: Ebbsfleet-GMB

Obviously, I can do a ticket with an origin of CLE, but I'm guessing the £104 SSR from CLE-CTM would still be cheapest?

Romilly

Established Member
Hard to see anything cheaper than the £104 Cleethorpes-Aylesford ticket.

NB that the departure times are 1626 from Cleethorpes, arriving/departing Grimsby town at 1633/34 (not 1636)

paul1609

Established Member
(Assuming no Season is held) if you split at Stevenage, then it restricts you to a small number of VTEC services, if you split at Huntingdon (tht furthest north you can get on that Railcard) then you're restricted to the stoppers operated by GTR (technically you could get VTEC to Stevenage, GTR to Peterborough, then VTEC again but that'd be pointless)

Network Area map: http://www.railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/files/map.pdf

An SVR Huntingdon - Rochester +Any Permitted is £29.50 with a Railcard.

It's £71.90 for Hull - Huntingdon (it's arguably not worth the 20p saving to restrict yourself to "Hull Trains Only" as far as Grantham!)

I think the OP was travelling from Grimsby which is £56.80 SVR total of £86.30 using a Networkcard for the Huntingdon -Chatham leg.
Obviously there would be a timet penalty of around 30 mins changing to GTR at Peterborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.