• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimsby to York permitted route

Status
Not open for further replies.

les.

A couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer.

My best friend lives in York and I visit him fairly regularly but another friend has now moved to Newark. Out of Grimsby there are only 2 routes to connect you with the East Coast Mainline, either the TPE to Manchester Airport (change at Doncaster) which is the route I always go, or there is an East Midlands route to Newark.

My questions 1) Is Grimsby to York via Newark a permitted route (it will be a ticket bought on the day) and 2) Would I be able to break my journey at Newark.

If so I could then kill 2 birds with one stone without having to make 2 seperate journeys to visit my 2 friends.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
No, Grimsby - York via Newark is not a permitted route.

If you were wanting to do this journey, you could use a York - Market Rasen Off Peak Return which is valid for travel via Barnetby or via Newark, for £39.20, in combination with Grimsby - Barnetby tickets.

There may well be better value combinations of tickets out there that would allow you to make this journey, and I suspect the best options would vary depending on whether you wanted to do the journey in a day, or overnight, or if you were willing to book in advance (there are often very cheap Advance fares from Newark to York, for example).

les.

If you were wanting to do this journey, you could use a York - Market Rasen Off Peak Return which is valid for travel via Barnetby or via Newark, for £39.20, in combination with Grimsby - Barnetby tickets.

There may well be better value combinations of tickets out there that would allow you to make this journey, and I suspect the best options would vary depending on whether you wanted to do the journey in a day, or overnight, or if you were willing to book in advance (there are often very cheap Advance fares from Newark to York, for example).

I was intending to visit my friend in Newark during the daytime then travel onto York to stay at my mates there for a couple of days before coming home. I will look into the option from Barnetby, thanks.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
You and your York friend should look out for the Flying Scotsman this Saturday, it leaves Cleethorpes at 7:30am.

Ticket-wise, there might be a Rail Rover ticket that covers the area, but I doubt it.
Sorry.

Haywain

Veteran Member

I'm not sure that's right. Using the tickets suggested to travel from Grimsby means that the outward portion of the York - Market Rasen ticket would be used both before and after the return portion. The same problem would still arise with a Market Rasen - York ticket, which is probably what Cuccir meant. In conjunction with that a Grimsby to Market Rasen ticket would be required.

cuccir

Established Member
Yes, sorry you're right. On the plus side, there's no Off-Peak Grimsby-Barnetby fare but there is one to Market Rasen, so the cheapest single to MR is actually cheaper than it is to Barnetby!

Haywain

Veteran Member
So, assuming the time restrictions do not create a problem the appropriate fares would be:
Grimsby - Market Rasen Off-Peak Day Single £8.50
Market Rasen - York Off-Peak Return £39.20
Market Rasen - Grimsby Off-Peak day Single £8.50

Status
Not open for further replies.