• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grimsby Town to Oxted query

Status
Not open for further replies.

les.

I often do the trip Grimsby Town to Oxted as my brother lives down there. Every time I have been in the past it is Grimsby to Doncaster, Doncaster to London Kings Cross, Tube to Victoria, then Victoria to Oxted.

I have just booked tickets for next month but this time my itinery is Grimsby to Doncaster, Doncaster to Stevenage, Stevenage to East Croydon, East Croydon to Oxted.

I have looked at later dates and it is always this itinery. I'm just curious as to why. Is it something to do with VTEC losing the East Coast mainline or are they just trying to stop people travelling into London if there is an alternative route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I often do the trip Grimsby Town to Oxted as my brother lives down there. Every time I have been in the past it is Grimsby to Doncaster, Doncaster to London Kings Cross, Tube to Victoria, then Victoria to Oxted.

I have just booked tickets for next month but this time my itinery is Grimsby to Doncaster, Doncaster to Stevenage, Stevenage to East Croydon, East Croydon to Oxted.

I have looked at later dates and it is always this itinery. I'm just curious as to why. Is it something to do with VTEC losing the East Coast mainline or are they just trying to stop people travelling into London if there is an alternative route.
Its because there is now a frequent direct service from Stevenage to East Croydon as part of the new Thameslink timetable, so it's quicker and easier.
Well, that's the theory - you may have seen the problems mentioned in the media :). Fortunately, while the service is disrupted your ticket is valid from Stevenage onward via the route you are used to, or from St Pancras Thameslink to East Croydon.
I would check a few minutes before you get to Stevenage to see if there is actually a connecting train and if not stay on board. Come to think of it, stsy on board anyway.

Berneylegs

I know it’s not your query, If you fancy a change of route you could travel Grimsby - Lincoln - Peterborough then onwards.

Also Grimsby - Sheffield - Derby/Nottingham - Leicester/Corby - London St Pancras then onwards, or change at Luton/Luton Airport Parkway for Thameslink cross London to East Croydon then onwards.

Lots of variety.

les.

I know it’s not your query, If you fancy a change of route you could travel Grimsby - Lincoln - Peterborough then onwards.

Also Grimsby - Sheffield - Derby/Nottingham - Leicester/Corby - London St Pancras then onwards, or change at Luton/Luton Airport Parkway for Thameslink cross London to East Croydon then onwards.

Lots of variety.

Tickets already booked with reserved seats up to Stevenage so won't be possible to divert from that route I don't think.

I do have the National Rail app on my phone so I'll make sure I check for times of trains leaving Stevenage before I get off there.

Berneylegs

Tickets already booked with reserved seats up to Stevenage so won't be possible to divert from that route I don't think.

I do have the National Rail app on my phone so I'll make sure I check for times of trains leaving Stevenage before I get off there.

Hope journey goes well

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

What type of tickets have you got. If it’s an Advance then you should follow your booked itinerary.

If it’s an Off Peak or Super Off Peak ticket then you’re not obliged to use the seat reservations. You may take any Permitted route.

Status
Not open for further replies.