• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GrimsbyPacer's Greek Easter Trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Hi everyone.
Me and my old mum were invited to Norwich for Greek Orthodox Easter at my brother's mother-in-law's. We decided to go by bus, here's the trip report (my first).

On a rainy Saturday morning in Grimsby we got the 10am National Express 448 towards London. About 4 passengers were onboard when the coach left Cleethorpes. An annoying beeping sound on the coach started after we left nearby New Waltham and again at the welcome to Lincolnshire sign. The coach stopped in Holton le Clay for 10mins while on the radio trying to solve it by slamming doors again. The hammers for glass breaking turned out to be the problem.

On our way through Louth I got to see how well preserved the old Rail Station and signal box with level crossing were. We then past Horncastle, Conningsby, Sleaford, Bourne and Market Deeping which all looked like nice places to shop, especially Bourne and Horncastle.

After 3 hours we arrive at Peterborough and have just enough time for Greggs and a loo break before hopping on another 3 hour bus ride to Norwich the X1. The bus had automatic voices which often got confused over which stop was next.

The bus went to Thorney, Wisbech which is odd in that Georgian style buildings are very common, King's Lynn which had a nice library, gateway and train station but... the bus station was awful, just a few shelters on a terraced street, hardly ideal. Swaffham was next then Dereham where I could just make out a class 47 (I think) when at the rail crossing.

In Norwich, we find that we can not get the bus to the area we want from the bus station and have to go near Rampant Horse Street!!
We had a good stay with other family members and a friend. In Norwich on Sunday a gaming fair was in the Forum and the arcade games were all free. We found St Peters church was not open which was disapointing.

Anyway today (Monday) we went back home. Delayed on the earlier than planned X1 we caught by constant waiting by the driver. The display said we were in Dereham when the engine restarted in Swaffham! We also found the shopping centre in Peterborough to lack a WHSmith or news agent. The 448 to Hull and Grimsby left late and went the wrong way. I got to see new electric sidings at Peterborough and the bus went through Grantham instead of Bourne on a much slower route.

Then at Sleaford around 16:09 a train to Nottingham delays us further.
There was also a slow moving lorry slowing us down upto Louth.
My Mum says she'll get the train next time!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.