• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grindleford-Liverpool, return via Dore

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Buxton-Stockport still disrupted by landslip, Grindleford is in many ways the least-bad option for those in the Peak District heading to Manchester and beyond.

But the evening service is horrible, with a two-hour gap: you can return to Grindleford at 1949 or 2146 but there is nothing eastbound stopping at Grindleford in between.

Helping a young person heading to Liverpool for the day (Friday), I spotted that there is an option of returning to Grindleford at 2051 by doubling back at Dore.

But is there any way around the horrendous hike in fares for a ticket that would cover this journey?

Grindleford-LIV with u25 is £14.70 day return, and Grindleford-Dore is £2.30 day return. But Dore-LIV is priced as Sheffield at £23.30

By definition the "double-back" intinerary sees travel through Grindleford without stopping, so simply adding tickets will not work. There appears to be no easement allowing such a double back (which would seem a simple win for the railway: very little problem of capacity, no loss of revenue and more attractive journey times helping boost demand).

Any ideas to reduce the cost of travelling from Grindleford on a ticket that would allow the double-back if necessary?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
There are no easements permitting a double back from Grindleford to Dore or Sheffield. I've researched this before after a passenger said it was his quickest way to get to one of the Hope Valley stations. You can double back to Sheffield from Dore but no other stations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Another silly case of passenger-unfriendliness in the fares system. The sensible answer would be to allow a double-back to Sheffield at the Sheffield fare (same as would make sense with Bletchley-Euston via MKC), as this allows the required travel without introducing a fares anomaly. Yet the railway prefers to tell the passenger he can't do something.

It would work perfectly well as a standard rule - if you have A-B-C where the passenger wishes to travel A-B via C for any reason, the relevant fare is a walk-up fare from A to C, but issued as A to B route C, unless the fare A-B is less than A-C in which case it would be the A-B fare.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I don't think I would pay so much extra for the benefit of being home at a sensible time. It's intensely frustrating that they like to make it so difficult. I might even consider trying to convince the guard to let me off 'just this once' too, if I only needed to go there once for the foreseeable future.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Dore to Widnes Off-Peak Day Return is only £14.45 with a railcard; could you make use of that maybe?

Haydn1971

Established Member
I'm confused - why would you travel from Buxton to Grindleford to Manchester ? Surely you'd use Chinley or the Rail Replacement Bus ?

I'm confused - why would you travel from Buxton to Grindleford to Manchester ? Surely you'd use Chinley or the Rail Replacement Bus ?

To clarify - faced with a bus journey around the landslip, travel from Buxton (normally the best option) looks less attractive. For those from the Matlock/Bakewell area, Grindleford becomes a potentially better railhead for travel to the North-West.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I don't think I would pay so much extra for the benefit of being home at a sensible time. It's intensely frustrating that they like to make it so difficult. I might even consider trying to convince the guard to let me off 'just this once' too, if I only needed to go there once for the foreseeable future.
Been there, had that, issued a new ticket for over riding.

unlevel42

For the over 60s and other ENCTs a solution could be to use the Derbyshire Wayfarer (after 09.00) @ £6.20.
+New Mills Central/Liverpool £11.50 day return or £11.55 monthly return.

ie £17.75 would allow for travel via Sheffield or Dore

New Mills Newton to Liverpool costs £3.75 more than from New Mills Central.

Rail Ranger

Or you could purchase a Greater Manchester Wayfarer from the conductor (£12 , £6 for anyone aged 60 or over) which would be valid from Grindleford as far as Warrington Central, then a return to Liverpool. GM Wayfarer is valid on any train after 0930 on Monday to Friday or any time at weekends.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although of course you couldn't double back via Dore with a GM Wayfarer. You could buy a Grindleford-Dore off-peak day return (but the train would of course have to stop at Grindleford which is not true in this case). The Derbyshire Wayfarer would also not be of use in this case because the return train would not call at New Mills Central.

Last edited:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Both Wayfarers will see a nice Anytime Single issued onboard TPE and EMT services, I've had endless discussions with people about whether they are valid or not and I carry a map around. I've also had tickets split at New Mills Central on the last Hope Valley stopper, although in those circumstances I prefer discretion as it's the only stopper to run via Stockport, and the Northern Guards seem to automatically split ticket for Hope Valley shacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.