• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ground signals Wolverhampton side of Sandwell and Dudley

Status
Not open for further replies.

brick60000

Hi all,

Travelling from Smethwick Galton Bridge towards Wolverhampton just now, I noticed what appeared to be 2 aspect bulb (in design at least), unlit, ground mounted signals on the wolverhampton side of Sandwell and Dudley on the opposite direction line (up direction towards London). Does anyone know what their function is at all?

It's got me rather intrigued!!

Thanks,

Brick60000

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neilb62

They were something to do with the now defunct Albion Sdgs, probably backing signals for reversing in. I did ask about them whilst route-learning but no-one had much idea either!

Railsigns

Established Member
They are set back white lights, operated by a plunger when ground signal NS361 is 'off'.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Normal access was by travelling from the Wolverhampton direction and reversing into the Sidings. Although more trains travel via the Abbey Foregate Loop at Shrewsbury now, at the time that oil trains ran from West Wales they used to travel that through so as to be able to approach from Wolverhampton.

mikestone1952

That was the only way trains were allowed to access the sidings. The connection was relaid but almost immediately part plain lined. The planning application for the new EMR reclamation facility implied that they would be using rail, although it seems unlikely that any individual scrap yard would produce train-loads of recoverable material.

brick60000

Thanks for all the replies! I've never seem such a signal before so all very interesting!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The planning application for the new EMR reclamation facility implied that they would be using rail, although it seems unlikely that any individual scrap yard would produce train-loads of recoverable material.

EMR are significantly rail linked in the area, with Kingsbury, Smethwick and Landor Street all with sidings. I do agree though, this operation is unlikely to use this connection. I wonder what will happen during resignalling!

The Planner

Veteran Member
Will need to check but I think signalling into the siding is removed but space left in the interlocking.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
EMR are significantly rail linked in the area, with Kingsbury, Smethwick and Landor Street all with sidings. I do agree though, this operation is unlikely to use this connection. I wonder what will happen during resignalling!

Do EMR own the scrap yard at Beeston which is also rail connected?

Will need to check but I think signalling into the siding is removed but space left in the interlocking.

Believe it's still there on the panel at New Street, with reminder appliances, although 690A are partially plain-lined on the ground.

IIRC the three sidings aren't there anymore, in advance of the gate separating railway owned infrastructure and the sidings. I stand to be corrected, but I believe there are new industrial units in the area.

mikestone1952

See above - the former oil terminal is now a reprocessing centre owned by EMR for recycling non-ferrous waste from their other yards. The sidings themselves have been removed but there is a gate in the security fence and it appears that the area they occupied has not been built on.
;

The Planner

Veteran Member
Believe it's still there on the panel at New Street, with reminder appliances, although 690A are partially plain-lined on the ground.

IIRC the three sidings aren't there anymore, in advance of the gate separating railway owned infrastructure and the sidings. I stand to be corrected, but I believe there are new industrial units in the area.

I know its still on the panel now, I will be surprised if it survives phases 4 and 5 of New St resignalling in its current form.

Harbornite

Established Member
That was the only way trains were allowed to access the sidings. The connection was relaid but almost immediately part plain lined. The planning application for the new EMR reclamation facility implied that they would be using rail, although it seems unlikely that any individual scrap yard would produce train-loads of recoverable material.

I was neve aware of this plan, interesting!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The sidings were removed around 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.