• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon - Notes on a Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

chartsengrafs

Hi all

I hope this of some use to those of you preparing for the GB test...

I searched on here, and asked train drivers, but couldn't find the answer to my question which was, basically, how well do you need to perform to pass GB?

The constant response always, "Be fast and accurate". But how fast? And how accurate?

I've been a teacher for 17 years, and the idea of sitting a test where you have no idea of the benchmark needed to pass just seems ridiculous, so, this is how I fared...

I passed with Freightliner, having thought I'd not done very well. I was also informed that Freightliner demand "enhanced passes", but not sure if this was for some, or all, of the tests. Does anybody know?

The practice tests I found myself wound up being nothing like the real thing. I've got a realistic set I'll upload here when home.

After several practices, I got from regularly getting 10 lines to 11/12. I have no idea how it's physically possible to do any more but one applicant told me they'd got to 14 lines on the day?!?

My accuracy was always pretty good, and seemed to get better by the 4th and 5th blocks of dots.

On the day..
I made LOADS of corrections compared to practice (maybe 10ish?), and it really slowed me down. I was back to 10/11 lines but, somehow, this was a pass!

Good luck to those of you with it all come.

Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dynamonic

I was getting 10-11 lines down in my practices with mostly no errors/omissions too, and passed to my TOC’s Enhanced Standard on the day! :)

HJohnson088

Hi all,

Thanks for the great info, much obliged.

Quick question - do you get given a practice sheet before the real test, to familiarise yourself with the format? Or are you thrown straight into it, as it were?

Thanks in advance

Dynamonic

Yep, you will get practice examples on virtually every test you do to make sure you understand the instructions. This is the time to ask questions if you’re getting stuck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.