• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Austin

Hi there Danny,

Your objective is to highlight patterns of 4 dots as quickly and as accurately as possible, whilst maintaining a consistent level of performance throughout.

In terms of controls for the software, use the right arrow key to scroll across, and up arrow key to ‘mark’ a group of dots.
The left arrow key will allow you to go back one space (only).

As the actual test is paper based, I recommend printing some practice papers off to give you a more accurate representation of the actual day. Use 5 sheets and give yourself 2 minutes for each.
In the paper based test, you strike-through your groups with a ‘/‘, and if you happen to notice you’ve made a mistake, strike-through again to make an ‘X’.

In my practice tests, I was getting about 10 lines down, with a maximum of a couple of errors/omissions across the test, and a row fluctuation of about 2.6.
I passed the actual test to East Midlands Trains’ Enhanced Standard.

If you’re finding you’re making a lot of mistakes, just slow down until you stop making so many, and work from there.
Accuracy and consistency across the sheets is key.

Good luck! :)

Hi there

Many thanks for the info and advice it now appears to be working, ive heard that accuracy instead of quantity is what they are looking for so just make sure to keep it slow but accurate

Cheers again

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-P_L

I currently have my head down practicing the SCAAT test using the OPC practice assessments you can purchase direct from OPC, that the free ones from the TOC directs you to.

Does anyone know what the actual tests ask you to look for as some on the practices are numbers, some letters and some symbols such as brackets etc?

Just wondering what to expect in the real thing?

Cheers

pompeyfan

Established Member
Out of interest, what would a normal pass be? I’m sure it’s probably a closer guarded secret than WMDs but worth a pop if anyone can gauge it.

Dynamonic

Out of interest, what would a normal pass be? I’m sure it’s probably a closer guarded secret than WMDs but worth a pop if anyone can gauge it.

No one knows the thresholds, but based on my own experience, if you're getting about 10 lines down each sheet with no errors in your practices, you're looking at Enhanced standard. :)

cameron bate

Hi guys can someone give a idea of what area in need to improve on my SCAAT?
Perception & Attention

Targets omitted-----3
Marked incorrect------none

Speed
Total cells------1966
Mean cell time --------0.354
Median cell time-------0.310

Completes rows-------74
Mean row time----- 8.868
Median row time-----9.085

Vigilance
Row fluctuation-------7.77

pompeyfan

Established Member
You’ll be better off printing the sheets out, because that’s how most TOCs run the assessments. Dots appears to be about 8/9 lines as a pass, I can’t say for shapes though.

Dot2018

What row time should I be aiming for on the printed version? 8 seconds?
Assuming the test on the day is also A4 paper this feels like a good thing to aim for

Dynamonic

If you can do it in that time consistently across all pages with no errors or omissions, then you should have no issues with the actual test.

In my practices, I was getting about 10-11 lines down each page (I reckon that’s just over 10 seconds per row), with a maximum of 1 error or omission overall across all pages and passed on the day to East Midlands Trains’ Enhanced Standard.

The first two main things with the Bourdon to focus on are accuracy and consistency.
Don’t make mistakes and ensure that you’re getting through roughly the same number of rows on every sheet.
Once you’ve got those sorted, you can then work on getting your speed up.

Good luck HarryBflower! :)

pompeyfan

Established Member
If you’ve passed, is it possible to see if you’re enhanced or not? Would that involve contacting the TOC or OPC?

Dynamonic

If you’ve passed, is it possible to see if you’re enhanced or not? Would that involve contacting the TOC or OPC?

Unfortunately, you are not permitted to know exactly how you have scored. (The pass marks are secret)
When you apply for different TOCs, they will check with the OPC to see if your score meets their standards.

When you first do the test, if the TOC you have applied for has an Enhanced Standard, when you get your results, you’ll be told whether you’ve achieved their Enhanced standard.
If you didn’t, they’ll typically at least tell you if you passed to the National Standard, so you can potentially use your score with other TOCs after six months.

The ‘Enhanced Standard’ will also be different between different TOCs.

Hope this helps. :)

pompeyfan

Established Member
Unfortunately, you are not permitted to know exactly how you have scored. (The pass marks are secret)
When you apply for different TOCs, they will check with the OPC to see if your score meets their standards.

When you first do the test, if the TOC you have applied for has an Enhanced Standard, when you get your results, you’ll be told whether you’ve achieved their Enhanced standard.
If you didn’t, they’ll typically at least tell you if you passed to the National Standard, so you can potentially use your score with other TOCs after six months.

The ‘Enhanced Standard’ will also be different between different TOCs.

Hope this helps. :)

Okay, that’s interesting. I wonder why everything is so hush hush, and how you can have 1 score as the national pass, but have several scores as an enhanced. I’d assume each part eventually works down to a raw score number, which is then averaged out across everything. Interesting, if not a little frustrating that it’s not transparent.

Dynamonic

Okay, that’s interesting. I wonder why everything is so hush hush, and how you can have 1 score as the national pass, but have several scores as an enhanced. I’d assume each part eventually works down to a raw score number, which is then averaged out across everything. Interesting, if not a little frustrating that it’s not transparent.

You are scored for each individual test.

Ultimately, you will have one score recorded for each test, which will either be below the national standard (fail) or above the national standard (pass).
To shrink the candidate numbers further, TOCs will often only progress candidates who scored above a certain mark on certain test, which they refer to as the ‘Enhanced Standard’.

Dot2018

Anyone know if most TOC's use a grid system to separate each set of dots? This version doesn't but I have seen some online tests that do use them.

Dynamonic

Anyone know if most TOC's use a grid system to separate each set of dots? This version doesn't but I have seen some online tests that do use them.

Hi there,

There is no grid system for the Group Bourdon test, so you’ll find the tool on this website to be quite an accurate representation of the actual test, provided you’re printing the sheets off.

mr double 77

You can contact OPC yourself, as it’s your information they are holding arecord of I’m a Qualified and when I did mine I got 14 lines per sheet there was 16 rows per sheet, the lady who did my MMI went through my results and said it was one of the best scores she had seen whilst testing

rajuv

Anyone know if the DLR PSA SCAAT test needs a mouse or if its uses left, right and up keys, only asking as I only have a laptop without a mouse

rajuv

Anyone know if the DLR PSA SCAAT test needs a mouse or if its uses left, right and up keys, only asking as I only have a laptop without a mouse
Just done and passed my DLR psa scaat test and I can confirm it was done with a mouse, you cannot use the arrow keys

Driver2B

Hi all,

Sorry, I don't quite understand.

I've clicked 'Help' and it just brings up three tabs of support.microsoft.com, which of course, isn't very useful!

On both the GBT and SCAAT, it shows the dots/shapes. The top-left-most shape has a blue box around it. When I click on other shapes, the blue box remains around that same (top-left) shape. Is it supposed to move to what I've clicked on?

I've used the "Real-time Error Count" feature and clicked on obvious errors and it doesn't seem to count them. I've tried double-clicking and right-clicking and it still doesn't work.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not working on my computer?

I know that I can print them out and this is how it is on assessment day, but I was going to start off on the screen first.

Also, I understand the SCAAT, but with the GBT, is it the dot pattern or number of dots that I'm supposed to look for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dynamonic

Hi there Driver2B,

A keyboard is needed for the Group Bourdon Tool. The controls are:

Right Arrow: Next group/symbol
Left Arrow: Previous group/symbol (You can only go back one)
Up Arrow: Select group/symbol

Just work through each page, and at the end, you will be given a summary of how you did.

As you have mentioned, it will be best for you to move onto paper printouts when you are ready, as that is how you will do the real tests.

Good luck with your preparation. :)

Driver2B

Hi there Driver2B,

A keyboard is needed for the Group Bourdon Tool. The controls are:

Right Arrow: Next group/symbol
Left Arrow: Previous group/symbol (You can only go back one)
Up Arrow: Select group/symbol

Just work through each page, and at the end, you will be given a summary of how you did.

As you have mentioned, it will be best for you to move onto paper printouts when you are ready, as that is how you will do the real tests.

Good luck with your preparation. :)

Thank you SOOO much! I thought that there was a problem with how the program worked on my computer!

Yes, the plan is to start on screen and move onto paper once I've got the hang of it!

Thank you for your help and good luck message! Much appreciated! :):):)

Cyclist

Personally I’d say go straight to paper. It’s slightly slower and more realistic

SA91

View media item 3118First time practising using the software provided is the results shown any good? Not sure what I should be aiming for? Thanks
Keep practicing and try and get the omissions and especially the incorrect ones to a minimum. Also would say to try and aim for around 9 rows per page to be on the safe side. I felt it helped me to recognise the patterns of the dots as opposed to counting them (quicker imo)

Dynamonic

Hi Alan smith,

As SA91 mentioned, try and slow down a little until you make no mistakes. You should aim for under 2 omitted targets or mistakes. Work fast but at a consistent pace, so you make it to roughly the same point on every page. (You know you've done this right if your row fluctuation is under 3.00)

Once you're comfortable at your pace and are making no errors, then you can work on your speed.
The actual tests are done on paper, so make sure you're practicing with paper too.

Good luck. :)

Alan smith

Thanks for the advice, I plan on practicing everyday was just unsure how I did on a first attempt cheers

redstars12

Hi

i work currently for Transpennine express and failed this test once already and it was the RAAT test any ideas of where i can get any help from as its stressing me out.

thanks
andy

Teddyward

Hi

i work currently for Transpennine express and failed this test once already and it was the RAAT test any ideas of where i can get any help from as its stressing me out.

thanks
andy
I recently took this test in the current round of freightliner recruitment. The only advice I can think of is don’t rush. There’s plenty of time to read the passage and go through each of the four answers one by one to eliminate which one is correct.

Vertigo

I'm due to sit this next week with SR, I have been getting on OK with the pc version and have moved to paper as this is what it will be done on. I just wanted to check the layout as there are many variations of the paper one I have sourced. I am right in thinking, no boxes, 25 columns, dot groups of 3,4 or 5 and 4 is always the target? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.