• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shunter18

Hello folks, first time poster.
I have my TMs assessment coming up at the turn of the year so any help would be appreciated in regards to anybody who has passed or failed the GBDT

I know there is no definitive answer to the question on which is a pass or a fail but here is my last attempt

Targets omitted 6
Marked incorrect 0

Completed rows 49
Total cells 1286
Mean cell time 0.296
Median cell time 0.250

Row fluctuation 3.42

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Juliet Barvo

If I were you, I'd practise it a little everyday.

Whatever we tell you, Practise is the very best answer.

Don't overdo it. A little everyday is best. Remember to spend some time practicing the other tests as well.

The bit you can really be proud of is the Zero marked incorrect, as accuracy counts along with Speed.

jwc04

As TCA says, practice a little each day. I probably done about 15-20 mins of GBDT every evening for the three weeks leading up to my assessment date. After the 20 mins I would then practice one of the other assessments, rotating the other tests day by day.

Shunter18

As TCA says, practice a little each day. I probably done about 15-20 mins of GBDT every evening for the three weeks leading up to my assessment date. After the 20 mins I would then practice one of the other assessments, rotating the other tests day by day.
Did you pass? Can you remember roughly how many lines you got down each page thank you both for the feedback

Shunter18

I should have also mentioned I have passed a portion of the assessment and this is my second attempt.

I have the dots to do along with the flashing images and the interview I have passed the rest previously

jwc04

I did pass the tests. I can't honestly remember exactly how many lines I done per sheet, the only thing that stands out was a chap sitting opposite me was racing through it and I was thinking he must be doing well and I was too slow. Turned out he made missed some out and failed, so I was relieved my slow and steady approach worked.

Juliet Barvo

I passed the tests, Fast and Accurate he said. I'm a Driver now.

I got 2/3 of the way down each sheet.

The person sitting to my right for the Dots test did more lines than me but was out at the first sift.

I like to think that practice makes perfect.

Lee0901

Once you get good on the computer one start printing sheets out and get used to doing them on paper. I reckon I was doing 8-10 lines with no mistakes and I passed to an enhanced level.

Undiscovered

Speed is good, but consistency and accuracy are key too, not just on each page but across the whole test.

Fredytrains

I have my TMs assessment coming up at the turn of the year so any help would be appreciated in regards to anybody who has passed or failed the GBDT

I know there is no definitive answer to the question on which is a pass or a fail but here is my last attempt

Targets omitted 6
Marked incorrect 0

Completed rows 49
Total cells 1286
Mean cell time 0.296
Median cell time 0.250

Row fluctuation 3.42
Dont worry about mean cells or median time on the day its on paper..
Practice for as close Zero omissions as possible and 9-11 lines is enough to get you through. Speed is not everything but accuracy is, I defo missed some but passed on this test, The papers on the day are set out with 25 across but only 18 -20 down, if anything its easier than the tool on here as the dots are clearer but also fainter than the printed examples on here. Print pages off to practice. But remember There is more to the assessment than GBT. I failed recently on the Dials and cables and this was my strongest point in practice, The fact you have 4 dials rather than 3 threw me as I wasn’t expecting that setup and The first Dial is slightly different to the other 3 as it shows 1-20 the others I think show 1-100 but the theory is the same, priority from the left, there is a hand written example on here somewhere if you can find it. “By the time i had sussed it out time was against me, the tests leader did try their best to explain but for some reason i gone totally blank, you will get a sample of most tests before you start! If you don’t understand ask until you get it! I stupidly didn’t as I felt I was holding the group up, Now have to wait 6 months before I can apply again and have the pressure of only having one strike left. Ive No Doubt that next time I will pass as Ive done all inc computer test now and found them pretty straight forward TBH.. But having the opportunity is another thing. What ever you do dont leave that assessment centre having any regrets or saying If only. They are hard but if you’ve prepared yourself and have it in you you will be fine .

Shunter18

Thanks for the feedback folks, i have my assesments this coming week.
I have prepared as much as i can with the dots and the MMi interview just need to see how it goes on the day now.

DJB

I would definitely say practice is key. I remember my first few goes getting about halfway down the page and only getting about 50% correct. After a few weeks of practicing a few a day I was down to the last few rows but getting 100% give or take the odd error. Practice practice practice. Good luck.

Yau

Targets omitted 6
Marked incorrect 0

Completed rows 49
Total cells 1286
Mean cell time 0.296
Median cell time 0.250

Row fluctuation 3.42

Hi Shunter18, Just joined on here. Where can I find the group bourdon test to do? Thank you for your response in advance!

Yau

dan4291

I've been practising the paper tests from the Group Bourdon tool and I'm getting on average 11 lines done with either zero mistakes or only one missed, hoping that's decent!

Status
Not open for further replies.