• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group Bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

507 001

Established Member
Hi Guys,
Just a couple of questions about the Group Bourdon test.
Whats a good score on this?
Is there a set pass/fail mark?
How long do you normally get per sheet?
How far down the page should I be getting?
What does Row fluctuation mean?
I have my assessments next week and I'm not sure where to aim for!
Thanks In advance.
Rob

P.S. sorry for yet again bombarding you all with questions!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W230

Established Member
Not sure on what a good score would be as the pass marks are not published.

There is a set pass/fail mark but it's not openly known.

Two minutes per sheet.

I got to around 12 lines down when I did it and I passsed. However it will be dependant on how many errors you make also.

Row fluctuation is the difference in seconds between your quickest and slowest line. The idea is to keep this to a miniumum.

I practiced on the computer based version that can be downloaded from digital reality. When I took the test with a TOC it was on paper. I was completing around 1400 cells in practice on the computerised version with maybe 3 or 4 errors omissions, by the time I went for my test. My scores definitely improved with practice!

507 001

Established Member
Not sure on what a good score would be as the pass marks are not published.

There is a set pass/fail mark but it's not openly known.

Two minutes per sheet.

I got to around 12 lines down when I did it and I passsed. However it will be dependant on how many errors you make also.

Row fluctuation is the difference in seconds between your quickest and slowest line. The idea is to keep this to a miniumum.

I practiced on the computer based version that can be downloaded from digital reality. When I took the test with a TOC it was on paper. I was completing around 1400 cells in practice on the computerised version with maybe 3 or 4 errors omissions, by the time I went for my test. My scores definitely improved with practice!

thanks! I think I'm ok in terms of accuracy, I generally only get 2 errors, and they are omissions as opposed to wrongly marked tiles. I need to work on getting faster though, I'm only getting around 8 rows down :|
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Anybody else? All I'm after is a rough Idea of what other people have achieved on the test!

also, slightly off topic, what sort of maths would I be expected to do on the day, is it just basic addition and subtraction? possibly a few percentage inreases and decreases?

Thanks
Rob

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
507 001 said:
also, slightly off topic, what sort of maths would I be expected to do on the day, is it just basic addition and subtraction? possibly a few percentage inreases and decreases?
I didn't have any maths in mine - not sure if any of them do that test still?

Didn't have the mechanical compression test either although I believe this is still done by quite a few TOC's.

reapz

eight lines is fine as long as its 8-8-8-8-8-8 and not 8-3-8-2-5-6-8 if you know what i mean

Benbow

thanks! I think I'm ok in terms of accuracy, I generally only get 2 errors, and they are omissions as opposed to wrongly marked tiles. I need to work on getting faster though, I'm only getting around 8 rows down :|

Don't worry too much. I only got 8 rows down each sheet and I passed. My accuracy was pretty good though. I think they may weight the results to allow for age. You state your age at the start and I can't think of another reason for doing that. I'm 44 by the way :D

507 001

Established Member
W230:1001913 said:
507 001 said:
I didn't have any maths in mine - not sure if any of them do that test still?

Didn't have the mechanical compression test either although I believe this is still done by quite a few TOC's.
Is that for a driver or guard though?

Thanks for replying guys, your making me feel much better about my chances!

edit- just done another tes and it went 9-9-9-10-10 I seem to be getting better!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
hmmm, I recieved my briefing pack from TPE today and they don't appear to use group bourdon. The test they use is similar to SCAAT but with letters as opposed to shapes. seems easier in some ways!

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Im getting 9-10 rows down on computer without making any mistakes or ommissions consistantly..
I cant seem to go any quicker though even though im practicing like mad.

I am aiming for accuracy and half way down the page on the day.. I can only do what I can do

shirleyd286

I find a bit of difference on laptop version to paper version. 13 lines and imitting 2-3 on laptop but 11-12 lines on paper no omissions. Must keep practicing...

robcal

I find a bit of difference on laptop version to paper version. 13 lines and imitting 2-3 on laptop but 11-12 lines on paper no omissions. Must keep practicing...

When sitting the tests, is it likely to be on sheets of paper? If so, I assume it's worth printing out sheets to practice on, rather than solely using the laptop.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
When sitting the tests, is it likely to be on sheets of paper? If so, I assume it's worth printing out sheets to practice on, rather than solely using the laptop.

Depends where you are sitting the test? Doncaster do it on paper..

I am using tests from how 2 become on paper and using laptop for extra practice when I'm staying away in hotels etc. I will be using mostly paper practice sheets as I get closer :|

Status
Not open for further replies.