• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Group tickets to London, assistance needed please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Established Member
Hi Guys

The challenge is a group of 5 adults and 14 children, 11 children are aged 10 or below, three are aged 11, traveling up to Trooping the Colour from Bridgend on Sat 8th. They need train travel to and fro on the same day and tubes around centre of London.

Without starting into split tickets (it'll do the leaders head in, and I'm worried about this affecting reservations), what's the best way they can do it without starting into Advance tickets?

Family and friends railcards can be purchased as required.

Best combination I can come up with so far in theory (I can't get prices for this combination off the FGW site, I'll try when I get my hands on an Avantex tomorrow) is

Five adult travelcards BGN - All zones with Fam discount
Three Child travelcards Bgn - All zones with Fam discount
Eleven child Bgn-Pad with all zones discount
Purchase four Fam Railcards.

The other alternative is buy three Fam railcards, and two Adult BGN-Pad with Fam railcard discount for two of the under 11's to travel on.

I'm right that 4 children under 11 can travel free with each adult on the Tube?

I can't get prices to come up for the group total, the mixing desk won't let me do it, and it's doing my head in!

Thanks in advance! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
How about groupsave?

According to this:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/48462.aspx

Groupsave is not available on 8th of June on journeys to Newbury before 18:15.

In practice it appears it's available on the 13:00 and later trains to Paddington. I'm not sure what connection this has to Newbury, or whether you could get a groupsave discount otherwise?

Flamingo

Established Member
I'm not sure what Newbury has to do with it? :D

I was wondering about groupsave, I've put the guide leader in touch with the group booking people, I was just trying to work out if there was any alternative involving the judicious use of railcards, etc.

Simon11

Established Member
With a group of that size, give the FGW group booking hotline a buzz.

barrykas

Established Member
How about trying GroupSave for the majority, rather than a Railcard?

By my reckoning:
8 "Adult" (4 Children travelling on Adult tickets) Travelcards : 8 * £40.50 = £324.00
8 "Kids for a Quid" Travelcards : 8 * £1.00 = £8.00
Sub-Total : £324.00 + £8.00 = £332.00

That leaves:

1 * Adult Family Railcard Travelcard : £53.45
2 * Child Family Railcard Travelcard : 2 * £15.40 = £30.80
1 * Family Railcard : £28.00
Sub-Total 2 : £112.25

Giving a grand total of £444.25

IanD

Established Member
Assuming Sat 8th June!

Doing the maths (as best I can), the cheapest I can get for walk up super off peak 1 day travelacrds is if you split your group thus:

2 adults + 6 Children (Groupsave4) x2 @ £166 = £332
1 adult + 2 children + FF Railcard (get some free ones from the daily mail this week) = £84.25
Total = £416.25

Approx £22 per person including travelcards.

(Total is about £25 less without travelcards but buying travelcards would cost about £36 I think using a couple of F&f railcards).

Or ring the group sales people and see if they can better it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Blimey, my maths matches BarryKas! Just get the free railcards this week as mentioned in the Special online offers thread.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
Thanks guys, that's great! I'll make sure the leader knows who the credit goes to!

Given that 11 of the kids don't need travelcards, being under 11, would that make a difference?

Great tip about the free FAM railcards, I wasn't aware of them!

IanD

Established Member
I think it's £5.60 per adult for a travel card with F&F railcard plus £2 for each child over 11. (you'd need 2 F&F cards)

That would be £34.

The non-travelcard rail tickets would only be £25 cheaper so you'd end up paying £9 more buying the travelcards seperately.

barrykas

Established Member
Given that 11 of the kids don't need travelcards, being under 11, would that make a difference?

The eight using GroupSave "Kids for a Quid" would pay £1.00 each whether they had a Travelcard or not, and it saves having to hunt down barrier staff all the time.

The two travelling on the Family Railcard could save about a pound by not getting a Travelcard...but there's no guarantee of a clerk selling the Adult ticket with a Travelcard and child ones without.

Incidentally, Chiltern WebTIS sells GroupSave discounted tickets now, so the FGW implementation may do so too, though you'd need to book in three tranches (2* 4Ad+4Ch w/GroupSave, 1Ad+2Ch FAM).

Flamingo

Established Member
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. The Brownies will be pleased :)

Status
Not open for further replies.