• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Groupsave on GWR - Totnes to Cardiff return

Status
Not open for further replies.

alastair

Advice please. A member of my family accompanied by 4 others so 5 in total needs to travel from Totnes to Cardiff on mid-morning of Thursday 30 June and return mid-morning Friday 1 July. Having spent a while fruitlessly searching websites he consulted me and I suggested Groupsave using the SVR fare of £70 so £46.20 each. It appears to be impossible to replicate this fare on-line possibly due to the Severn Tunnel being closed on 1 July thus meaning bus substitution from Newport to Bristol Parkway.

If he just buys these tickets at Totnes station am I missing any reason why they would have any issues travelling as above? I am aware Groupsave is only valid on GW not on XC. Is there some way of buying on-line and having e-tickets which they would prefer?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Trainsplit will happily sell this. You need to specify avoiding XC in Advanced options. E-tickets are available. Total fare £231.

As it's slower than taking XC, you may struggle to obtain this fare on TOC sites but I've not checked.

1656404493611.png

Argyle 1980

When I do similar (Plymouth-Cardiff) for anything longer than a day return I normally buy off peak returns Plymouth-Highbridge and Highbridge-Cardiff. Hazard these are only valid on the GWR services North of Taunton or on the direct Penzance-Cardiff service. You might shave more off it with split sites lumping advance fares together but for me the one split at Highbridge isn't too much trouble and can be bought on any TOC app or site fee free.

alastair

When I do similar (Plymouth-Cardiff) for anything longer than a day return I normally buy off peak returns Plymouth-Highbridge and Highbridge-Cardiff. Hazard these are only valid on the GWR services North of Taunton or on the direct Penzance-Cardiff service. You might shave more off it with split sites lumping advance fares together but for me the one split at Highbridge isn't too much trouble and can be bought on any TOC app or site fee free.
Many thanks @Argyle 1980 , that's a small but worthwhile saving on the through fare, particularly as 5 people are involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.