• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Groupsave restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

TOC's often ban Groupsave tickets on certain routes on days due to big events.
If I buy groupsave tickets well in advance, and a TOC subsequently bans groupsave on the journey for which I've bought tickets, in advance, in good faith, probably with seat reservations what is my position? Are the tickets valid?

Secondly are groupsave tickets restricted for journeys to a particular station, where the event is being held, or for all journeys on a particular route or train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If I buy groupsave tickets well in advance, and a TOC subsequently bans groupsave on the journey for which I've bought tickets, in advance, in good faith, probably with seat reservations what is my position? Are the tickets valid?

Secondly are groupsave tickets restricted for journeys to a particular station, where the event is being held, or for all journeys on a particular route or train?
The restrictions on Groupsave tickets depend entirely on the TOC. They cannot bar Groupsave tickets from a service after you have already bought the tickets - or rather, they cannot refuse to accept the already-bought tickets on the services for which Groupsave was specified as being valid at the time of purchase. A binding contract is made at the time of purchase, and the consumer is entirely within their rights to reject any proposed variation of the terms (e.g. a reduction of the validity) by the TOC.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The restrictions on Groupsave tickets depend entirely on the TOC. They cannot bar Groupsave tickets from a service after you have already bought the tickets - or rather, they cannot refuse to accept the already-bought tickets on the services for which Groupsave was specified as being valid at the time of purchase. A binding contract is made at the time of purchase, and the consumer is entirely within their rights to reject any proposed variation of the terms (e.g. a reduction of the validity) by the TOC.
Would the TOC be allowed to refuse the contract and pay them back the money for the ticket or do they have to honour the contract come what may?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Would the TOC be allowed to refuse the contract and pay them back the money for the ticket or do they have to honour the contract come what may?
I'm not a solicitor, but I don't see that they are permitted to do so, absent a clause in the contract explicitly giving them this right. A binding contract is formed and neither party may withdraw (as the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 don't apply to contracts for travel).

If legal proceedings began before the journey in question, I suspect the consumer's remedy would simply be the rescission of the contract (i.e. a refund). However, I doubt a TOC can act quickly enough - and actually contact the consumer, especially if a ticket was bought in person at a ticket office - such as to effect this, especially with the limited advance timetable periods currently available. Attempting to rescind the contract at (or just before) the point of travel would probably leave the TOC without any remedy if the consumer travelled 'in breach' of the restrictions.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes; the validity of any ticket at the time of purchase is what counts. I am sure a good retailer would be prepared to back you up, in the event of a dispute.

Both the itinerary on your booking confirmation, and your reservation coupons, are good evidence of the contract you have with the relevant train company.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
When we remove groupsave tickets due to events we will honour any tickets purchased prior to their removal. In fact we will honour groupsave tickets sold in error even after the ban. I would assume that other TOCs would follow suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.