• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Groupsave: Southampton Central to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiffer850

Hi

Hopefully i'm posting this in the right place apologies if not, new here!

Some of my friends are trying to book a Groupsave 4 Off Peak Return from Southampton Central to London for travel on 17/03/12.

The south west trains website is refusing to offer groupsave, the customer services assistant says that its a glitch and to buy them from the station.

We suspect that the groupsave option is deactivated on the SWT website on certain days to certain destinaitions, when and where Southampton FC are playing away from home.

Of course, if they were to turn up on the day of travel and are not offered groupsave at the window, they'll have no option to buy full price tickets

We suspect that it has happened in the past, the dates and destinations all corresponding with Southampton FC's fixture list, but don't have any concrete proof

Are there a limited number of groupsave tickets or does this smell fishy? I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this, thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lemonic

I can find GroupSave tickets for your journey on the South West Trains website. You just need to make sure you select a journey itinerary that doesn't include CrossCountry as GroupSave is not valid on CrossCountry.

There is a GroupSave calendar which shows routes/dates when GroupSave is not valid but this appears to be mainly on First Great Western and Arriva Trains Wales services; there is no restriction mentioned for South West Trains on 17 March - see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/groupsave_calendar.html

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I can find GroupSave tickets for your journey on the South West Trains website. You just need to make sure you select a journey itinerary that doesn't include CrossCountry as GroupSave is not valid on CrossCountry.

There is a GroupSave calendar which shows routes/dates when GroupSave is not valid but this appears to be mainly on First Great Western and Arriva Trains Wales services; there is no restriction mentioned for South West Trains on 17 March - see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/groupsave_calendar.html

Same here. First Great Western website is giving me the discount too.

kiffer850

Thanks for the swift response guys

What price did you get for that? I've put 4 adults in, with groupsave and its giving me £136.80 in total which is not a groupsave discount. Definitely only selected SWT services too. Do you have to be logged in?

Apologies if I am being thick and missing the obvious. Thank you again for your help

EDIT: I've just been on the FGW website and it offered me the groupsaver straight away, with exactly the same info

clagmonster

Established Member
Possibly a silly question. Are you selecting Groupsave 4? If you select Groupsave 3 by mistake, the discount won't be applied.

kiffer850

yep definitely. very confused now!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You have to click 'add railcard', whereas on the fgw it knows you're adding it when you choose groupsave.

Thank you for your help and making me realise i am a fool, got there in the end!

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Not a fool at all. The fools are the people who designed the booking engine!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Not a fool at all. The fools are the people who designed the booking engine!

I echo this. Some of the software engineers employed don't seem to understand what their product is.

@OP. Glad you managed to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.