• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Groupsave validity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

captionextend

I recently purchased some Groupsave tickets for my family, travelling from Slough to Windsor&Eton Central.

They were dated today - 19 June 2021.
I tried two websites, both Thameslink and Railways were willing to sell them to me.

However I have just found this page on National Rail Enquiries - Groupsave calendar (linked from the detail of their groupsave page)
which lists a number of dates that groupsave tickets are excluded from use on GWR. (6 June to 5 July, no year specified).

Two of the dates listed are "Friday 19th June" and "Saturday 20th June".
If you are observant then you will notice that those exact days/dates don't exist in 2021!

So, I'm either looking at a leftover list of dates from 2020, or someone has made a mistake on the days of the week and the list actually applies to 2021.

If the latter, then there are at least 2 websites which seem unaware of this restriction and are quite happy to sell invalid tickets.

Does anybody know whether my ticket was actually valid or not?

Thanks!
Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mmh

Established Member
Surely your ticket must have been valid, regardless of whether they wanted it to be or not, simply because you cannot apply a date-based restriction on a date that doesn't exist?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I recently purchased some Groupsave tickets for my family, travelling from Slough to Windsor&Eton Central.

They were dated today - 19 June 2021.
I tried two websites, both Thameslink and Railways were willing to sell them to me.

However I have just found this page on National Rail Enquiries - Groupsave calendar (linked from the detail of their groupsave page)
which lists a number of dates that groupsave tickets are excluded from use on GWR. (6 June to 5 July, no year specified).

Two of the dates listed are "Friday 19th June" and "Saturday 20th June".
If you are observant then you will notice that those exact days/dates don't exist in 2021!

So, I'm either looking at a leftover list of dates from 2020, or someone has made a mistake on the days of the week and the list actually applies to 2021.

If the latter, then there are at least 2 websites which seem unaware of this restriction and are quite happy to sell invalid tickets.

Does anybody know whether my ticket was actually valid or not?

Thanks!
Peter
If you've been sold it, then it's valid. That's the base principle arising out of contract and consumer law.

Given that the stated dates and days of the week do not match, I imagine the restrictions are from a previous year. Hence they have not been put in the data for this year.

Mak1981

Wonder what the original date for england v scotland was in 2020?

That might be the reason for those dates being closed off last year?

alistairlees

Established Member
It's last year's dates. The TOCs and RDG are woeful at updating the GroupSave calendar, which is often a year or more out of date.

Class442Fan

Did you know there is a 'Contact Us' page on National Rail for if you spot something that may be incorrect and you want to check? It's at www.nationalrail.co.uk/contact.aspx under the 'Help & Support' tab in the main navigation.

Literally one click away from any page on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.