• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Groupsave

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
A quick question, is a groupsave ticket valid on Virgin Trains West Coast or Northern, as according to the information on brfares.com (see below), but according according to the restriction data for Groupsave
Code:
Not valid to depart any location at any time on NORTHERN
Not valid to depart any location at any time on VIRGIN WEST COAST

All stations in the fares cluster are served only by TOCs not accepting groupsave, as Ttanspennine Express don't either
upload_2018-12-12_17-51-28.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Neither of those companies consider GroupSave tickets to be valid on their services.

A Challenge

Established Member
So there is no way to use this ticket (or presumably other similar ones exist) to its destination?

A Challenge

Established Member
I've just realised I never stated what the ticket that I showed the prices and GSV statues for. It was Woking to Windermere, though it is also available for other stations in the North West.

alistairlees

Established Member
GroupSave is a discount, like a railcard. It changes the status of the ticket, if it can be applied. It's generally a SE England thing, though has over the years been extended to include (for example) all of GWR. Neither VT nor Northern have ever (to the best of my knowledge) been part of GroupSave. They do, of course, have group discounts and group products - but these are not GroupSave.

alistairlees

Established Member
I've just realised I never stated what the ticket that I showed the prices and GSV statues for. It was Woking to Windermere, though it is also available for other stations in the North West.
The brfares.com website does say:
GROUPSAVE
Groupsave offers a discount for three or more adults travelling together.
The results of a fares query will show GroupSave as available for all journeys, however it is only available if the entire journey is made on services of one or more of the following train companies:
  • Great Western
  • Chiltern
  • London Midland
  • Thameslink & Great Northern
  • Abellio Greater Anglia
  • c2c
  • London Overground
  • Southeastern
  • Southern
  • South West Trains
In addition it is not available on certain services on certain days; see the GroupSave Calendar from National Rail Enquiries for details.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are any retailers selling a Woking to Windermere ticket with GroupSave discount?

Wallsendmag

Established Member
GroupSave is a discount, like a railcard. It changes the status of the ticket, if it can be applied. It's generally a SE England thing, though has over the years been extended to include (for example) all of GWR. Neither VT nor Northern have ever (to the best of my knowledge) been part of GroupSave. They do, of course, have group discounts and group products - but these are not GroupSave.
Close but no Banana, ScotRail sell groupsave as a ticket type that weirdly states one passenger which makes it exceptionally difficult to retail from TVMs

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I guess the answer is that they should not be issued... but if they are, the retailer is at fault and the passenger should not be charged/penalised.

That said, it is very difficult for retailers to get things like this right, as the concept of GroupSave is ridiculous and the data (or rather lack of) is appalling.

A Challenge

Established Member
In what way? I think the concept is good - indeed I think it should be rolled out nationally (removing the ceiling of 9 which can't be enforced anyway) replacing all other group travel schemes.
Surely if you have a group of 10 you travel as two groups of 5 together (and so on)?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Two or more groups of between three and five people may combine to form one party on a journey.

A party that consists of more than one group of individuals is still considered to be separate groups for the purposes of ticketing, but may still travel together, interact with each other, etc ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.