• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR/1878 - Orpington Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saracen_83

trainee train driver role here

https://gtrailwaycareers.com/templa...E4B4E665A764C3958717A4D634D57477A754253303764

Job Reference: GTR/1878
Job Title: Trainee Train Driver
Training Salary: £28,427
Salary: £56,000
Hours of Work: Earlies/Lates/Nights
Job Expires: 18 Mar 2018 at 11:45PM
About Govia Thameslink Railway
The railway has always offered solid career prospects to hard working people, but you might be surprised by how diverse our team really is. Men and women from all walks of life drive our trains and influence how the business continues to grow.

On our Thameslink and Great Northern Routes, we’re modernising our train service and the way we operate our services for our passengers. As part of the UK’s biggest ever driver training programme, we’re looking for thoughtful, hardworking individuals to join our team of train drivers to help get our passengers get where they want to be safely and on time.

We’re looking for people enthusiasts, not just train enthusiasts to drive our trains. Our drivers make sure that our passengers are both safe and also well informed. We believe that delivering a high level of customer service is far more important than whether you can name every steam train that we ever operated.

So, what’s the job actually like? What’s in it for me?

• Our drivers work an average 35 hour week, a 4 day working week. Rosters are on a rolling basis, so you’ll always know when your days off will be, meaning you can plan in advance how work fits in with your family and other commitments.
  • Our train drivers are experts on their routes. Our initial training period runs for approximately 12-15 months. During this time, you’ll learn everything you need to know about your routes, and the trains you’ll be driving on them.
  • We offer a great starting salary and increases once you pass out and become a Qualified Driver, and an excellent pension scheme for your future. We’re passionate about ensuring that all of our staff have the opportunity to progress their careers and grow their skills with us.
Sounds perfect, what’s next?

We’re looking for people with a track record of providing excellent service, a positive attitude and flexible working hours when needed. So if this sounds like the career opportunity you’ve been looking for, if you’re friendly, a good communicator with a level head and able to handle a range of difference situations, click below to apply. Our recruitment process consists of several stages, starting with a series of assessments.

GTR are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age*

Due to safety regulations, you must be aged 21 or over when you begin your training.

Please ONLY APPLY if you live within 60 minutes of travel time to Orpington travelling both via Public Transport and Personal Transport or your application WILL NOT be considered

Good luck!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emmsie

I saw that, it only went on this afternoon so is only active for 60 hours

Nobby

The application form asks you 3 separate times to demonstrate how your knowledge, skills and experience are relevant to the role, and twice on the same page! - is this deliberate or is it just a badly formatted form? I've just spent several hours answering the question the first time. My heart sank when I saw it twice more. The form also says 'Southern' on it quite a lot. I know they are all part of GTR but still......

rhys37429

I would love to apply for it but unfortunately its rife for DOO on GTR, something I'm totally against.
Good luck to all that apply!

IKB

I would love to apply for it but unfortunately its rife for DOO on GTR, something I'm totally against.
Good luck to all that apply!

All of Thameslink is DOO, as is most of Southern. Other TOCs will go that way too, despite resistance from the RMT. If the DFT want DOO then they will eventually get it. You're mad not to apply for a drivers job just because its on a DOO TOC.

Garyhobbs

Gutted I was hoping this job was TL or northern. ☹️
Don't hesitate go for it.

Well the rule about 60 minutes by BOTH public transport and own is annoying. I am under 30 minutes driving, but around 90 by public transport.

Emmsie

Well the rule about 60 minutes by BOTH public transport and own is annoying. I am under 30 minutes driving, but around 90 by public transport.
I'm not sure you would have to do the whole journey on public transport in 60 mins but certainly have a station that you could cab to and get to work within 60 mins. If it was an entire journey in under 60 mins by public transport that would negate an awful lot of people not on bus routes

Jaydon Jay

Has anybody else completed there application for this position yet? I have completed mines but I have not yet received an email confirmation? When I check on the GTR website it informs me that my application is complete & received but I have not received an email confirmation as of yet. Should I be worried?

I'm not sure you would have to do the whole journey on public transport in 60 mins but certainly have a station that you could cab to and get to work within 60 mins. If it was an entire journey in under 60 mins by public transport that would negate an awful lot of people not on bus routes
Living north of the Thames makes that rather impractical. Even getting a cab over to Dartford would lead in to a 55 minute bus ride, or 50 odd minutes on a train. I don't think you can get over the bridge, and in to Dartford town centre in under 10 minutes!

Emmsie

Living north of the Thames makes that rather impractical. Even getting a cab over to Dartford would lead in to a 55 minute bus ride, or 50 odd minutes on a train. I don't think you can get over the bridge, and in to Dartford town centre in under 10 minutes!
To be fair you didn't mention where you were just that you were 30 mins drive away

utternoob

im in the RM13 area google is saying 32 minutes by car, not sure about public transport

axlecounter

I noticed that even if the 60 minutes rule is well specified then in the application still there is a “if you live more than 60m away tell us how you would get to work” field. I guess they’re not exactly strict about that rule?

Barry K

Ok, so I have 2 local stations, one (across the road) is 1hr24m, the other (A five-minute walk) 1hr01. A third station is also 1hr01
However, my mum lives a 37min bus ride from Orpington.
Do I apply from home, stating my intent to move, or do I apply from mum's?

ThatGuy

Ok, so I have 2 local stations, one (across the road) is 1hr24m, the other (A five-minute walk) 1hr01. A third station is also 1hr01
However, my mum lives a 37min bus ride from Orpington.
Do I apply from home, stating my intent to move, or do I apply from mum's?

I would just state in the section where it asks how you’d get to work if you live over an hour away that you can stay at your parents house when you have a shift. I mean you don’t have to, as long as you can get into work on time this shouldn’t be an acceptable reason. That’s what I stated anyway. Even if you bent the truth you’ll only be doing yourself a disservice.

MJG3

I'm from Manchester and willing to relocate, would GTR consider?

Emmsie

Not sure if Thameslink has the same system but with Southern you can nominate 3 stations to park in. As our base didn't have parking most of us nominated the next closest station, the station with the earliest trains (all night) and our closest station and then decided which station to use depending on start and finish times. Sometimes it was just easier to get a cab part way

Class2ldn

Unfortunately any new starters are not entitled to the taxi agreement so I'd think the 60 minutes is quite strictly enforced

Status
Not open for further replies.