• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR 365 to storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Nice as the 365s are, there are now a lot of problems with the internal doors failing or sticking (both the mechanisms to slide and the motion sensors) and they still lack CCTV. The seat back tables are also looking rather worn.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Nice as the 365s are, there are now a lot of problems with the internal doors failing or sticking (both the mechanisms to slide and the motion sensors) and they still lack CCTV. The seat back tables are also looking rather worn.

I’ve noticed these things but they’re not the fault of the train. GTR simply need to be better at maintaining them. I suspect they’ve given up on the trains going into storage.

SprinterMan

Established Member
No 365s to KLN anymore, 100% 387s (excl. GA services). Still plenty of 365s to Ely though, which should last until May. AFAIK, from May, all Cambridge fasts will be 387s, with 365s doing Peterborough fasts. Baldock/Royston peak extras will be a mixture.

Adam :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
No 365s to KLN anymore, 100% 387s (excl. GA services). Still plenty of 365s to Ely though, which should last until May. AFAIK, from May, all Cambridge fasts will be 387s, with 365s doing Peterborough fasts. Baldock/Royston peak extras will be a mixture.

Adam :)

Thank you for the summary, much appreciated :D

jamieP

Thank you for the summary, much appreciated :D

Had a look the other night and there should be 2x3 car 387 services to and from Peterborough each morning and afternoon with the units stabling on the Nene Sidings each night.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Had a look the other night and there should be 2x3 car 387 services to and from Peterborough each morning and afternoon with the units stabling on the Nene Sidings each night.

3-car? I didn't realise there were 3-car 387s.

The other services being 365s then?

notverydeep

Have a look for yourself.

Thanks JamieP. I have posted a link to the "Great northern and Thameslink May 18 service changes" thread on the Allocations and Timetables part of the forum. If you have the metro equivalent, that would be very handy!

bramling

Veteran Member

The word everyone is looking for is maintenance...

Why is it that the railway nowadays seems to think it's acceptable to put a train in service, leave it for a decade and then do a 'refresh'? From a passenger point of view the age of a train *shouldn't* really make that much difference, not that a 365 is in any way old - they're roughly half-life, so should now be in their prime. I could understand the 365s becoming careworn up until last year as they were extremely intensively used, but their duty cycle is rather lighter now, and with units being released there's an opportunity to catch up on any backlog on the units being retained long-term.

London Underground is just as guilty of this - the likes of the 92, 72 & 73 stocks are in a pretty poor state nowadays - being pretty untouched since refurbishment, which in the case of the 72 stock was in the early 1990s! At least the 365s have had two refreshes during their time - even if in both cases it's tended to degrade the ambience.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
I’d hazard a guess that Eversholt haven’t stipulated the even numbered units be returned in an as-new condition..!

MatthewRead

On Moderation
The word everyone is looking for is maintenance...

Why is it that the railway nowadays seems to think it's acceptable to put a train in service, leave it for a decade and then do a 'refresh'? From a passenger point of view the age of a train *shouldn't* really make that much difference, not that a 365 is in any way old - they're roughly half-life, so should now be in their prime. I could understand the 365s becoming careworn up until last year as they were extremely intensively used, but their duty cycle is rather lighter now, and with units being released there's an opportunity to catch up on any backlog on the units being retained long-term.

London Underground is just as guilty of this - the likes of the 92, 72 & 73 stocks are in a pretty poor state nowadays - being pretty untouched since refurbishment, which in the case of the 72 stock was in the early 1990s! At least the 365s have had two refreshes during their time - even if in both cases it's tended to degrade the ambience.
1972 tube stock is already going through a second refurbishment and 1992 tube stock will get modernized in due course!

Silver Cobra

One of the 365s going into storage in the near future has fallen foul of the graffiti 'artists'. The front unit on yesterday's 1817 SVG-PBO, which has had the GN logos removed off it, had a nice big patch of graffiti on the side of one of DMOC B. Can't imagine Eversholt would be happy taking the unit back while in that condition.

Last edited:

Established Member
From the table linked earlier I've decided to make a separate timetable showing solely all 365 runs northbound atm, I'll try get round to the southbounds shortly. Indeed they only run as far as Peterborough and Royston (or Baldock / Letchworth Garden City), calling at selected stops only so even stations that see 365s all the time right now closer to London probably won't be blessed with this trains from May onwards.

Quite a sad time for these trains from my point of view, would much rather one over a 387.

Attachments

• Project Atelier_ West London Orbital - PM Peak towards Royston and Peterborough.pdf
    56.3 KB · Views: 43

lordbusiness

The graffiti on the ones stored at Potters is coming along nicely judging by what i saw earlier this week.

pt_mad

Established Member
This will upset certain forum members

to be fair they are great trains

My first experience of a 365 was in 2001 when I holidayed in Hunstanton. Caught one all the way to Kings Lynn with the windows open hurtling through the numerous tunnels on the ECML was quite an experience!

Could they be used on At Pancras to Corby. Or maybe 350/2s will be used there instead.

Domh245

Established Member
They could, but any bidder proposing them will suffer in the quality assessment of their bid vs those suggesting using modern EMUs (either off lease of new build)

MatthewRead

On Moderation
On the 153's to Scotrail thread someone said they've heard about the 365's being used on the GOBLIN line to cover for late delivery of 710's surely that can't be right?

Last edited by a moderator:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
On the 153's to Scotrail thread someone said they've heard about the 365's being used on the GOBLIN line to cover for late delivery of 710's surely that can't be right?
Probably wishful thinking. TfL have repeatedly said in meeting papers and responses to GLA members questions to the Mayor that there would be no interim EMUs, as it isn’t worth the training and maintenance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.