• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR 365 to storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Probably wishful thinking. TfL have repeatedly said in meeting papers and responses to GLA members questions to the Mayor that there would be no interim EMUs, as it isn’t worth the training and maintenance issues.
Unless the 710s are so late that the 172s are about to go off lease and they have to do something...

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Apologies, I know this is quite irrelevant - I've not been on these trains but the first time I ever saw these trains was on the programme 'Tweenies' around the late 1990's !

D365

Veteran Member
Apologies, I know this is quite irrelevant - I've not been on these trains but the first time I ever saw these trains was on the programme 'Tweenies' around the late 1990's !

Really? I watched countless hours of that show in my younger years but never made the association...

As I'm completely unfamiliar with Ely Papworth sidings, could someone please tell me if the stored 365s can be easily viewed, either from rail or road?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As I'm completely unfamiliar with Ely Papworth sidings, could someone please tell me if the stored 365s can be easily viewed, either from rail or road?

I believe the sidings are next to the railway line unless I'm thinking of a different set of sidings.

gazr

I believe the sidings are next to the railway line unless I'm thinking of a different set of sidings.
There are two sets of sidings. One right as the line splits towards Norwich/Kings Lynn that is visible from the railways and where the 365s have been lately, and another set where the line curves around the back of the large building where MK3s have been lately (a larger complex) that is visible for a few seconds from passing trains if you know where to look.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There are two sets of sidings. One right as the line splits towards Norwich/Kings Lynn that is visible from the railways and where the 365s have been lately, and another set where the line curves around the back of the large building where MK3s have been lately (a larger complex) that is visible for a few seconds from passing trains if you know where to look.

So the 365s are in the more readily visible sidings.

twpsaesneg

As of yesterday, there's currently at least 5 sets in the sidings, an 8-car closest to the main lines, and then 3 further sets on the adjacent roads. The 3 sets may in fact be 6, as you can only see the ends from the train, and they are parked up in line so there's certainly room.

The graffitiists have paid a visit too :/

hwl

Established Member
Have all of the 21 that are leaving now left GTR either to storage or Scotrail?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hopefully they’ll be getting the rest out of storage soon. At least the drivers will be qualified to operate them and the passengers able to travel in a degree of comfort.

bramling

Veteran Member
Hopefully they’ll be getting the rest out of storage soon. At least the drivers will be qualified to operate them and the passengers able to travel in a degree of comfort.

I’ve always predicted GN will end up with more than 19. With the Thameslink fiasco I’d say this is now an eventual certainty. Politically there is no way certain locations are going to accept a 100% ThamesLink/ service. And if we’re not having through running then no need for the 700s. In any case, if it’s so impossible to terminate services off the southern at London Bridge, these will have to run through to the first available place on the midland where they can be terminated - all of which requires more trains.

D365

Veteran Member
In any case, if it’s so impossible to terminate services off the southern at London Bridge, these will have to run through to the first available place on the midland where they can be terminated - all of which requires more trains.

Was that not the point of the Canal Tunnels? Free up platforms at KGX and reduce the fleet requirement.

philjo

Established Member
I saw a DRS loco hauling 2 x 365 units through Letchworth this morning. 365501 was at the rear.
They appear to be going from Ely to Northampton.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K91329/2018/06/29/advanced

Must have annoyed the passengers waiting on platform 1 seeing an empty train pass through as the previous 0715 service into London was running about 50 minutes late this morning and the 0750 cancelled!

Dave91131

I saw a DRS loco hauling 2 x 365 units through Letchworth this morning. 365501 was at the rear.
They appear to be going from Ely to Northampton.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K91329/2018/06/29/advanced

Must have annoyed the passengers waiting on platform 1 seeing an empty train pass through as the previous 0715 service into London was running about 50 minutes late this morning and the 0750 cancelled!

365505 may well have been the other unit - 501 + 505 were the first pair to be dragged to Ely Papworth back in February, and 505 was the rear unit when they were dragged to Ely.

It appears an identical move took place yesterday with presumably the same loco and another pair of units - any info / assistance with ID's would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave91131

5Q70 on 29/06/18 is 57303 hauling 365501 and 365505

Thanks.

Hence yesterday's move, assuming it was another 2 units, must have been 2 from 503-507-515-527-535.

According to my notes 507+515 were taken to Ely together a few weeks ago, so could have been them on the move yesterday. The units that accompanied 503-527-535 on their respective drags to Ely are now either in or bound for Scotland.

Cheers.

Dave91131

Thanks.

Hence yesterday's move, assuming it was another 2 units, must have been 2 from 503-507-515-527-535.

According to my notes 507+515 were taken to Ely together a few weeks ago, so could have been them on the move yesterday. The units that accompanied 503-527-535 on their respective drags to Ely are now either in or bound for Scotland.

Cheers.

Reported elsewhere that 507 + 515 were indeed the pair to be moved yesterday.

This leaves 503 - 527 - 535 still at Ely Papworth.

Thanks.

bramling

Veteran Member
Reported elsewhere that 507 + 515 were indeed the pair to be moved yesterday.

This leaves 503 - 527 - 535 still at Ely Papworth.

Thanks.

Does anyone know the purpose of these moves? Further storage, preparing for a return to GN in time for 15th July, or something else in the offing?

E_Reeves

Established Member
I passed Ely Papworth earlier thid week and it was quite easy to get numbers, but I do have a camera. Graffiti has already been applied to one of the units :lol:

Dave91131

Does anyone know the purpose of these moves? Further storage, preparing for a return to GN in time for 15th July, or something else in the offing?

A return to the GN would be most welcomed. I (and a significant number of regular / daily travellers who I know) specifically choose which services to catch now so as to always (in theory) get a pair of 365's as opposed to one of those ghastly 700's.

Sadly though, I suspect further storage may be the most likely reason so as to free up space at Ely Papworth for more HST trailers and other stock soon to require somewhere to vegetate.

Purely a rumour but heard from more than one usually reliable source - is that LNWR want those surplus 365's to release 319's from the Euston - Tring / Northampton services for local work in the West Midlands which in turn will release 350's for strengthening other Euston services.

Lastly - forgive my ignorance, what's the significance of 15th July and GN?

Cheers.

Aictos

Established Member
A return to the GN would be most welcomed. I (and a significant number of regular / daily travellers who I know) specifically choose which services to catch now so as to always (in theory) get a pair of 365's as opposed to one of those ghastly 700's.

Sadly though, I suspect further storage may be the most likely reason so as to free up space at Ely Papworth for more HST trailers and other stock soon to require somewhere to vegetate.

Purely a rumour but heard from more than one usually reliable source - is that LNWR want those surplus 365's to release 319's from the Euston - Tring / Northampton services for local work in the West Midlands which in turn will release 350's for strengthening other Euston services.

Lastly - forgive my ignorance, what's the significance of 15th July and GN?

Cheers.

That's the magical date that the temporary timetable comes into play and when everything will get better....

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
GTR are introducing an emergency timetable on 15th July so the service should be more stable.

In theory....

Status
Not open for further replies.