• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Daysave Tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have a few questions about Daysave tickets.

Are the Thameslink Daysave tickets valid on Great Northern branded services? Im just a bit confused as on this page on the NRE website - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prb652dac35ce74101b69190b10455bf.aspx - it says that it can only be used on Thameslink services. But then it also says - "See the places you can travel to and from on the route map using a DaySave ticket." - and when you click on the route map it shows all Thameslink and Great Northern services. So this just confused me.

I have bought Southern Daysave tickets many times recently from the ticket offices at both Lewes and Dorking (which i understand is unofficial but they will normally sell you one if you ask). Can the Thameslink Daysave be bought at ticket offices as well if they agree to sell you one?

Also are Southern Daysave and Thameslink Daysave tickets available to be issued on Avantix machines from the Guard (again if they agree to sell you one)?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Officially, such tickets were only available online and at some tourist information centres. For almost a year it seems there has been no way to purchase the Southern DaySave online, so I doubt you will get much of an answer.

Perhaps more importantly, given the service on off on Southern these days could you really use a DaySave without going mad?

Officially, such tickets were only available online and at some tourist information centres. For almost a year it seems there has been no way to purchase the Southern DaySave online, so I doubt you will get much of an answer.

Perhaps more importantly, given the service on off on Southern these days could you really use a DaySave without going mad?

Yes true. Its hard enough just to travel one stop on a Govia run service without it getting cancelled!

sarahj

Established Member
This is from may, but some further info on the things:

Southern Daysave
From 15th May, Daysave Peak and Daysave Weekly will be withdrawn from sale. There has been a very small take up of these products over the last few years, so we have made the decision to remove them.
Customers will be able to purchase Daysave Peak and Daysave Weekly up to 3 months in advance of travel until Sunday 15th (retailed by headoffice and selected stations), therefore staff may still see Daysave Peak and Daysave Weekly tickets being used across the network until around mid August 2016.
Customers should be advised to purchase Anytime Day / Season tickets as suitable alternatives.
Daysave Off Peak and Daysave Group will remain at £18.50 and £37.00 respectively.

greatkingrat

Established Member
It is hardly surprising there is a small take-up if it is impossible to buy them! Does this mean the off-peak will become available on the website again, or will you have to go to Wick Tourist Office on the 5th Friday of the month?

jon0844

Veteran Member
It is hardly surprising there is a small take-up if it is impossible to buy them! Does this mean the off-peak will become available on the website again, or will you have to go to Wick Tourist Office on the 5th Friday of the month?

I thought that. I love it when companies make something hard to find/buy and then use that classic excuse that demand was low. Well, duh!

I know you could buy these from the tourist information in St Albans, but it isn't exactly convenient for me to get there. £4.50 return on the bus, or petrol + parking. And having to go when it's open, in advance. Yeah, bound to be popular that.

Status
Not open for further replies.