• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR Disruption - 13 September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
I thought I'd start a new thread for any comments on the following, to save bunging up any others.

- 2R33 came to a stand over a person on the track in the Sutton area around 0948. This was not a fatality and lines opened fairly soon afterwards, but there is notable disruption around the Southern/TL South London Metro area.
- 1W15 stands (as I type) at Wivelsfield having struck a person, possibly attempting to cross the track. BML closed between Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill.
- 2O15 failed at Tring earlier, so there is some disruption to the already quite limited Southern service on the WLL and WCML, due to stock issues resulting from this.
- Some residual delays remain from the overnight overrunning engineering works between Three Bridges and Brighton/Hove/Lewes.

All in all, a bad start to a warm day. Obviously ticket acceptance is quite fluid so if anyone is travelling, it would be best to check the relevant websites.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To add to this - the morning peak on TL North (Bedford-London section) was heavily disrupted due to crew shortages, may in part have been due to staff not being able to get back to their 'home' depot last night after the issue at Harpenden.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
- 2O15 failed at Tring earlier, so there is some disruption to the already quite limited Southern service on the WLL and WCML, due to stock issues resulting from this.

Anyone know what the failure was?

The result[1] was that the 0713 BLY-EUS left people behind from Hemel southbound. WFJ passengers seem to have all but given up on this train.

[1] At least 20 more would have fitted on the rear coach I was in if inconsiderate people blocking the door area had moved down the wide aisle in the 2+2 bit which has ample space for two abreast standing. I was surprised the guard did not at least make an announcement to this effect, and also that people prefer to crush in the door area than move down where there was space.

sarahj

Established Member
I thought I'd start a new thread for any comments on the following, to save bunging up any others.

- 2R33 came to a stand over a person on the track in the Sutton area around 0948. This was not a fatality and lines opened fairly soon afterwards, but there is notable disruption around the Southern/TL South London Metro area.
- 1W15 stands (as I type) at Wivelsfield having struck a person, possibly attempting to cross the track. BML closed between Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill.
- Some residual delays remain from the overnight overrunning engineering works between Three Bridges and Brighton/Hove/Lewes.

All in all, a bad start to a warm day. Obviously ticket acceptance is quite fluid so if anyone is travelling, it would be best to check the relevant websites.

From what I've heard about the 2R33 incident, could be some questions being asked that could impact on a rather large thread in this forum. But only rumors at the mo.

Established Member
Anyone know what the failure was?

The result[1] was that the 0713 BLY-EUS left people behind from Hemel southbound. WFJ passengers seem to have all but given up on this train.

[1] At least 20 more would have fitted on the rear coach I was in if inconsiderate people blocking the door area had moved down the wide aisle in the 2+2 bit which has ample space for two abreast standing. I was surprised the guard did not at least make an announcement to this effect, and also that people prefer to crush in the door area than move down where there was space.
Unit running with cab safety system isolated.

tsr

Established Member
The detrained stock from the Wivelsfield incident had a fault but has just been able to move onwards towards Brighton. All lines are now open at Wivelsfield. Severe delays ongoing.

There is now a signalling fault at Balham South Jn affecting Metro services (trains can now be talked past the area though) and a shortage of crew on the Oxted routes...

As they say, on such warm days, it never simmers but it roasts...

Sunset route

The detrained stock from the Wivelsfield incident had a fault but has just been able to move onwards towards Brighton. All lines are now open at Wivelsfield. Severe delays ongoing.

There is now a signalling fault at Balham South Jn affecting Metro services (trains can now be talked past the area though) and a shortage of crew on the Oxted routes...

As they say, on such warm days, it never simmers but it roasts...

Balham South Junction? That's not a term that I've ever come accross or used.

Sunset route

Where the Crystal Palace lines diverge from the main line just south of Balham between which once stood the signalbox. Is this not called Balham South Jnc?

That's called Balham Junction, there is no "south" in the name.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Where the Crystal Palace lines diverge from the main line just south of Balham between which once stood the signalbox. Is this not called Balham South Jnc?

Yes.

That's called Balham Junction, there is no "south" in the name.

I've certainly never had a problem reaching a clear understanding with anyone when referring to it by that name. It's certainly something I've known local TOC control to use too. It's much more specific, as there are two junctions at Balham (the one to the North of the station is not the same), and IIRC it is taught as part of route learning material.

However, I shall in due course try to work out why the Sectional Appendix and local knowledge don't quite tally up...

BestWestern

Established Member
From what I've heard about the 2R33 incident, could be some questions being asked that could impact on a rather large thread in this forum. But only rumors at the mo.

Although nothing short of an epidemic of 'trap & drag' grizzly deaths on a massive scale is going to wake up the relevant people at Ivory Towers, regretfully :(

Still, if nothing else it does at least provide a sobering reminder to Drivers of non-DOO operations why it is they seriously don't want to start doing it.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member

Although nothing short of an epidemic of 'trap & drag' grizzly deaths on a massive scale is going to wake up the relevant people at Ivory Towers, regretfully :(

Still, if nothing else it does at least provide a sobering reminder to Drivers of non-DOO operations why it is they seriously don't want to start doing it.

From what I've heard about the incident from a very good source, I wouldn't be 100% sure that said rumours are correct. Just doesn't quite sound right, based on the circumstances I've heard about.

transmanche

Established Member

From what I've heard about the incident from a very good source, I wouldn't be 100% sure that said rumours are correct. Just doesn't quite sound right, based on the circumstances I've heard about.
Perhaps those in the know could enlighten the rest of us, otherwise this will become a very dull thread that devoid of any actual discussion if it's just full of comments along the line of "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you"! ;)

I appreciate that some may not want to discuss in a public forum, but the rest of us currently have no clue what the issue is.

W230

Established Member
Perhaps those in the know could enlighten the rest of us, otherwise this will become a very dull thread that devoid of any actual discussion if it's just full of comments along the line of "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you"! ;)

I appreciate that some may not want to discuss in a public forum, but the rest of us currently have no clue what the issue is.
Sadly it wasn't that exciting. Speaking with staff when I took a unit through there later in the day, the guy just jumped off platform 3 in to the path of a slow moving train. He bounced off the front and ended up walking out with ambulance staff later so wasn't too badly hurt at all.

By evening it was carnage again on TL though yesterday (I missed Mondays fun due to a days leave thankfully!).

Power failure near Herne Hill (staff at Tulse Hill said the tripping lit up the third rail like a Christmas tree!), tripping problems in the TL core, the two Person Hit By Train incidents still causing residual delays, problems on the St Helier lines between Wimbledon and Sutton and numerous breakdowns.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Yesterday's GTR journey home for me was as follows:

1638 from Blackfriars to Redhill. Left 1L and then stopped at Loughborough Junction for 45 minutes owing to a "power failure" at Tulse Hill. Doors released at LJ after 40 minutes for passengers to make other travel arrangements. I sat tight and the problem cleared five minutes later! Crawled to East Croydon, our next scheduled stop. Then proceeded more or less normally (but around 50L) to just north of Redhill, where we stopped two signals out from the station. After around 10 minutes we were told that a train had failed in platform 3 and therefore we would not be stopping there! This despite all three platforms there being fully bi-directional. We duly used the down fast through Redhill and called at Earlswood where we were told that a northbound train would be held for us. It was waiting there and left after about another 10 minutes, only to grind to a halt at the Redhill home signal for another 10 minutes. Eventually arrived at Redhill at about 1820 (compared with a scheduled arrival time of 1718), to then hear about a further incident to the south which was adding to the turmoil.

The driver of the 1638 ex-Blackfriars made exceptionally good announcements which were as informative as he could be, suitably apologetic and very honest about his abilities to improve matters!

This morning was poor too - my Betchworth to Redhill train was cancelled (hourly!), and I had to get a lift to Reigate, where I caught a Southern train to Redhill. Just as we arrived at platform 1 after a long signal stop outside, the ever-blinkered platform staff despatched a London train! The next train was another 20 minutes and was only a four car, which was full and standing leaving Redhill. An elderly blind couple and their two guide dogs were helped onto the train and told that they would be met at Clapham Junction. On arrival there, the SWT platform staff were strolling up the platform far too late and the blind couple had to be helped off by other passengers onto the crowded platform.

All in all a dire pair of journeys that amounted to a total of five hours!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sadly it wasn't that exciting. Speaking with staff when I took a unit through there later in the day, the guy just jumped off platform 3 in to the path of a slow moving train. He bounced off the front and ended up walking out with ambulance staff later so wasn't too badly hurt at all.

By evening it was carnage again on TL though yesterday (I missed Mondays fun due to a days leave thankfully!).

Power failure near Herne Hill (staff at Tulse Hill said the tripping lit up the third rail like a Christmas tree!), tripping problems in the TL core, the two Person Hit By Train incidents still causing residual delays, problems on the St Helier lines between Wimbledon and Sutton and numerous breakdowns.

And Police I hope!?

Status
Not open for further replies.