• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Engineering Apprentiship

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon396

Hi, Does anybody know anything about the GTR - Engineering Apprenticeship. I am a little older (35) but I would love a career in the rail industry. I have a degree in engineering Graduating in 2008. But the job I am currently in is about to come to an end after 10 years as the company is ceasing trading. Made even tougher that I got married last year and had my first child 4 months ago.

The apprenticeship is 4 years long you are paid £14k per year but the prospect of earning unto £45k on completion. Does anyone know the likelihood of getting a job after the 4 years or whether GTR would take you on. Also how is the course and what would you be doing on the course. The details are a bit lacking on the website.

Any points and advise would be welcomed
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bucephalus

@jon396
Just so you know, TFL pay £20k for their apprenticeships, here's one for non-destructive testing:

They did have other apprenticeships but they must have closed now.

Also, keep an eye out for the train maintainer position. That pays £40-50k, although tfl haven't given start dates for all the last batch yet(dec 2019)

Last edited:
Information I got: the salary goes up by £2k each year, final year will be £20k. At the end of the 4 years you are offered a position at that depot for £38k but can do a presentation which if you pass this you are at a higher grade for the £45k.

This was for Brighton depot so figures could change, I'm not 100% sure. Hope that helps somewhat.

jon396

Information I got: the salary goes up by £2k each year, final year will be £20k. At the end of the 4 years you are offered a position at that depot for £38k but can do a presentation which if you pass this you are at a higher grade for the £45k.

This was for Brighton depot so figures could change, I'm not 100% sure. Hope that helps somewhat.
Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

@jon396
Just so you know, TFL pay £20k for their apprenticeships, here's one for non-destructive testing:

They did have other apprenticeships but they must have closed now.

Also, keep an eye out for the train maintainer position. That pays £40-50k, although tfl haven't given start dates for all the last batch yet(dec 2019)
Thanks, I will check that out

Did you know details on what we did and what the hours would be. I think first year is the college course then the subsequent 3 years was at the depot

Status
Not open for further replies.