• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR First Class Legal Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I have read in 'Live Rail' (the magazine of the Southern Electric Group) that a passenger has won a legal case against GTR for 'mis-selling of a first class ticket'. His premise was that first class in GTR trains is not to a standard that warrants the description and fare of first class, being identical to standard class except for an antimacassar.

I wonder if this victory will see any improvement in GTR's long-standing attitude to first class and the quality thereof, or will they simply pay out to individuals who bring legal cases? My initial thought is that this ruling opens the door to a potentially massive series of similar claims from disgruntled first class fare-paying passengers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Or perhaps those TOCs with sham First Class could just abolish it.

That may happen, but GTR/Southern tried to do so in about 2003 when the 377s were being specified, but pressure from some passengers meant it was retained. Southern have sulked about it ever since, and I wonder whether there is a case for retrospective claims, given the deluge of complaints made about first class over the years. GTR cannot hide behind a lack of knowledge about how passengers felt, and have had every opportunity to improve the accommodation OR try to abolish it again. Cynically, they've done neither.

Aictos

Established Member
GTR however wasn’t around in 2003, Govia was responsible for the Southern franchise which they took over from Connex from 2001 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.