• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR or Southeastern advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

evoice

Hi guys. Need your help. I have already been offered a trainee driver job with southeastern starting in July pending medical which I am not worried about.
I have also been invited for a managers interview with GTR. I am a bit confused as to attend this interview or not.
Both companies have similar pay. Dartford is only 20 min drive with metro routes only whereas for blackfriars or kings cross is different and I have to travel by train (40 min total travel time). Both are owned by govia.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iWantIn

evoice, If you're not concerned about the pay then i'd personally go with the ones thats closest to you. If anything goes wrong e.g delays to you're travel etc... you can still get there within 20 40 MAX. If in future you want to change company as your are part of the same group they may accommodate you.

Id suggest Southeastern.

Aictos

Established Member
One thing to consider is the working day when you take the commute to work into account, yes GTR is a mix of Metro and Non Metro workings but South Eastern is a shorter commute with just Metro workings so end of day, SE have already offered you the job it's up to you if you accept.

I'm just saying you might want to consider the commute when deciding which TOC to go with.

evoice

One thing to consider is the working day when you take the commute to work into account, yes GTR is a mix of Metro and Non Metro workings but South Eastern is a shorter commute with just Metro workings so end of day, SE have already offered you the job it's up to you if you accept.

I'm just saying you might want to consider the commute when deciding which TOC to go with.

Thanks everyone. Might call GTR to withdraw my application then.

As HLE said about commute, even during my interview the managers did told me that if any incident occurs, your commute is also taken into account. So thanks for reminding me again :)

Aictos

Established Member
Thanks everyone. Might call GTR to withdraw my application then.

As HLE said about commute, even during my interview the managers did told me that if any incident occurs, your commute is also taken into account. So thanks for reminding me again :)

No worries, glad to be of some help.

Class2ldn

If you like working sundays then southeastern, if you like your sundays at home having roast then gtr as sundays are not compulsory. No need to find cover either, 1 weeks notice and thats it.
I came over from southeastern and the terms are far better at gtr. Downside is slightly longer days at gtr ( 10 hours vs 9h15 at se.
Taxi agreement at gtr so any 5am starts you get a cab in and after midnight a cab home aswell.
Remote signing on at gtr aswell.
Se have key card signing on so you have to be there at the set time even you don't do anything for 5/6 hours.
At gtr, 1 phone call and it's "yeah just come in when you need to".
Plenty of people jumping ship from set at the mo.

Last edited:

evoice

No we don't. There is a large disparity with wages and conditions.

I was told 48000 annually with SE after 2yrs because of the new pay deal which kicks off this year. But not sure how true it is.

ComUtoR

Established Member
£48k after 2rys is incorrect
Dartford doesn't have full London Allowance (I think)

Basic rate is a bad comparison as other factors (like sundays) also affect your pay.

Class2ldn

At gtr we are on about the same money as se and we dont do sundays. Se do. If we work a sunday then it's extra pay but doesn't go towards your pension as it's not in the working week.
Se don't currently have a 4 day week, that's coming in next year i believe as part of the deal.
Gtr long weekend every 3 weeks. You get allocated 5 weeks holiday with one of them being a floating week that you can cancel and take the days individually.
Not sure of its still the same at se but they take 20 days off your annual leave so you lose the rest days if you have a good week booked as AL.
They also require you to use 2 of your annual leave days for Xmas/ boxing day so if you book all your days up and forget you'll be short at the end of the year. At gtr we get given them days as lieu days I believe, not taken away from us. (il have to double check lol)
Se are still living in the dark ages and it's a mystery how they've got away with it for so long

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
At gtr we are on about the same money as se

GTR are on more and if you factor in the % rise from future pay deals we will continue to drop behind you. It may appear close now but the gap will widen.

We know where we will but until 2018 and I suggest that anyone considering joining SE or if your comparing remuneration look at those numbers first.

Crossrail is also on our doorstep and when they recruit for the depot planned at Plumstead...

Class2ldn

Then slade green is in trouble.

The difference isn't great in money at the mo but we've not got our pay deal for this year yet. Se is good enough to get your foot in the door and I wouldn't turn them down without a cast iron offer from someone else. However once your ready to move on then there's plenty other firms who are better.

Clip

Established Member
I would go for GTR.

What and turn down a perfectly reasonable job with the chance to gain experience and in the role with a chance to jump ship later all for the sake of an interview with no guarantee they will get offered a job?

Right.

Aictos

Established Member
What and turn down a perfectly reasonable job with the chance to gain experience and in the role with a chance to jump ship later all for the sake of an interview with no guarantee they will get offered a job?

Right.

Pretty much what I've been thinking about the replies above, least you have posted with common sense!

notadriver

Established Member

Right.

It's not until July so personally I would do the GTR interview and then make a choice?

evoice

Thanks guys for the response. Very helpful.
Apologies if I may have confused anyone. Well the topic was GTR or SE just to know the positives and negatives.
Also, my question was whether I should attend the interview with GTR?

Thanks notadriver

Class2ldn

Thing is gtr may offer you the job quicker. They are recruiting alot of drivers so may push you through quicker

EazyGuy

Any chance GTR will open recruitment again soon then? I just missed the last round.

notadriver

Established Member
Dartford I believe only has metro routes. GTR will be a mix of stopping services and speeds of 90 mph towards Gatwick and Brighton and up to 110 (?)mph on the midland main line between St pancras and St Albans. And GTR will of course get ATO and the new clsss 700s.

Do 387s attain 110 on this section ?

W230

Established Member
From an outsider but companies will seem the same anyway. I'd go with the local job I've been offered (SET). Or go to the interview and see what happens if you get offered both.

But in your position (and location) i'd still go with SET (and that's from a GTR driver ) :lol:

evoice

First of all I would like to thank each and every individual who took their time and responded. This forum has been the backbone for my success.
I got my contract offer from SE yesterday which I will be accepting it. I also had given the interview for GTR which I did pass. I went for the interview so that I have a back up in case anything went wrong with SE. Which eventually didn't and am very happy about it.

Just a quick review of my success.. I started applying from 2011. Had my first ever assessment in 2012 in Manchester with FTPE. I failed in the CBI back then. Was kind of disappointed but didn't give up. Kept on applying. Applied for SE in 2013 for any depot as most of the depot are within 40 min drive. Had the assessment in august 2014. Passed and was kept in the waiting list until in 2015 got a letter for the DM interview. In 2015, I went for lorol as well but failed in the VSE. Destiny and hard work took me towards SE TOC only 15-20 min drive from me.

I would like to thank this forum and the members of this forum once again for playing a huge role.
I would also like to wish every success to everyone who are still in the process or even thinking of it.
Hard work eventually pays off.
Thank you again and good luck to all.

W230

Established Member
Congrats! When you're getting out of bed at 4am you'll definitely realise you didn't want anymore time travelling to work in your day! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.