• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR recruiting again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wallicio

Very tough at the moment not being able to book holidays

I cancelled a holiday this year for fgw but I shouldn't have as no job came up

I get you can't have holiday during training which is fine but not knowing a start date does make planning difficult

Tried lastminute.com?
You know were gonna get at least 4 weeks notice?
#MiniBreak

RobSmith

Very tough at the moment not being able to book holidays

I cancelled a holiday this year for fgw but I shouldn't have as no job came up

I get you can't have holiday during training which is fine but not knowing a start date does make planning difficult

So we cannot book holiday at all during the training?? I accept that they will not allocate a start date for me due to a planned holiday in November, although this is technically going against worker rights and employment law.

If it is stated that we are not allowed to book holiday during our training this too is also breaking employment law regs as this is something you earn and are entitled to. I was told the training could take between 9 and 18 months dependent in your learning style and ability so there is a potential for no holidays for 18months if this is the case!?

Has anyone been issued a start date yet for the October intake?

theironroad

Established Member
Even when you are fully productive and driving you don't have total freedom of when you can take holiday as it is rostered in blocks. you may be able to mutually swap your block with another driver, but demand for school holidays/christmas is high. You will have a number of days ad hoc which you an apply for as you wish, subject to a maximum amount of drivers per day on leave.

You will get leave during your training, but only when it is convenient to the company in your training, but they will not let you run off on holiday in the middle of your rules course or traction courses.

RobSmith

So what do I tell the wife about booking holiday for next year!? lol, she's going nuts about it as she wants to start booking it up and the holiday system is not as restricted for platform staff as it is for drivers it seems.

I spoke to the recruitment team last week and they asked if I would be interested in Peterborough as I am reasonably close to there too.

Memetim

You can book holiday once you start your driving hours with an instructor which is after about 6-7 months of classroom training. Until then you can only take time off on the dates they have allocated to fit in with the training.

If you have passed the medical I would expect they will be likely to offer a position within the next year, in which case I would suggest you may have to miss a summer holiday next year, or have to book it last minute once you have finished in the classroom. It seems unlikely they would be paying for medicals if they weren't planning to offer the position relatively soon (a year is relatively soon on the railway lol)

Last edited:

Memetim

I'm pretty sure until you guys no one got a medical until after a job offer, so that's definitely promising for you all.

Yeh started last year, it's all far more fun once you get out of the training school! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.