• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR recruiting again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Garyjames1701

PHP:
Nothing here...Perhaps they have filled those 3 days already?

Hi, I'm new on here but thought I'd let you know that I have a place on the assessment day for the 6th May. Completely different line of work for me as I'm currently a serving Police Officer but I'm looking for a change of career :)

Having read through the assessment prep it looks fairly tough, but I have nothing to lose and will give it my best shot!

Gary

Bearskills

Hi I had an email yesterday confirming test day 7th or 8th may. I'm currently a full time fire fighter looking at a career change. Good luck to all.

Garyjames1701

Hi I had an email yesterday confirming test day 7th or 8th may. I'm currently a full time fire fighter looking at a career change. Good luck to all.

It seems like we are both in similar positions. What depot are you going for? I'm hoping Bedford if I'm successful as I'm living near Huntingdon.

Bobbybox

With the assessment details it says if successful you could have interview same day, what I wondering is what are you mention to wear I.E. Suit or smart casual

Garyjames1701

With the assessment details it says if successful you could have interview same day, what I wondering is what are you mention to wear I.E. Suit or smart casual

I will be wearing smart trousers / shirt and tie. First impressions and all that, plus if you make it to interview you want to look smart ;)

W230

Established Member
What is funny is I'm successful with FGW waiting for offer with them and they didn't require this however they do require written communication test but they said it wasn't a problem I hadn't done it as it wasn't a 'core' test (passed my assessments with freightliner who also didn't require dfft)
Yeah it isnt (or at least, wasnt) a core test. Id also applied to Northern at the time and having completed all tests for FCC as it was then, Northern had me do the mechanical comprehension test and took no notice of the DFFT.

Garyjames1701

Could anyone recommend any apps to utilise as practice for the AC? I'm looking at brain training apps at the moment....

Jd12

I'm new here, I'm on the assessment day on the 6th, ordered that book the other day. Little nervous about some of the tests after reading through here and the practise materials they've sent out..

Garyjames1701

I'm new here, I'm on the assessment day on the 6th, ordered that book the other day. Little nervous about some of the tests after reading through here and the practise materials they've sent out..

You'll be there the same time as me. Don't worry yourself too much chap, I'm sure you'll be fine after reading through the booklet a number of times as well as getting some practice in.

I'm more concerned about the multi tasking assuments where you have to count words as well as trawling through a phone directory....best eat my Weetabix in the morning!

johndaniel007

Same here looking at the practice booklet, am more worried about the fault finding on the train, as i do not understand the pratice booklet, the rest i suppose has to do with how fast and quick we react and judge things, if anyone could help with how to study the fault finding it will be very helpful.

Jd12

You'll be there the same time as me. Don't worry yourself too much chap, I'm sure you'll be fine after reading through the booklet a number of times as well as getting some practice in.

I'm more concerned about the multi tasking assuments where you have to count words as well as trawling through a phone directory....best eat my Weetabix in the morning!

I'm gonna find a hotel somewhere close I think so I'm nice and fresh for the morning of staring at grey boxes and finding fault codes..

Garyjames1701

Same here looking at the practice booklet, am more worried about the fault finding on the train, as i do not understand the pratice booklet, the rest i suppose has to do with how fast and quick we react and judge things, if anyone could help with how to study the fault finding it will be very helpful.

The fault finding is fairly straight forward once you understand it. Read the two separate booklets a few times and look at the examples and you should start to get it!

Finding a hotel isn't a bad idea, I'll be travelling down from Huntingdon at about 6am, going to be an early start!

Bobbybox

I'm up for the assessment and is everyone wearing a suit or just shirt a tie,and theirs a lot of tests on the day going by the practice material.

Jd12

I'm up for the assessment and is everyone wearing a suit or just shirt a tie,and theirs a lot of tests on the day going by the practice material.

I'm just going for a shirt and tie. I've spent my weekend playing bopp it! The picture test is worrying my slightly. Are you on the 6th too?

Last edited:

Polar

I'm just going for a shirt and tie. I've spent my weekend playing bopp it! The picture test is worrying my slightly. Are you on the 6th too?

That was only useful for the old reactions test!

Bobbybox

I'm up on the 8th and will we be tested on everything seems a lot to be tested on in the day will we have enough time lol

Jd12

I'm up on the 8th and will we be tested on everything seems a lot to be tested on in the day will we have enough time lol

Yeah they've even said we may have the interview the same day too! I can see if we pass all the tests it being a long day!

Garyjames1701

Guys if we pass the assessment day and interview, what's next? I've been unable to find a detailed job description! Any idea where training will take place? I've booked myself into a hotel not far from the assessment centre to save me stressing out in the morning ;)

Sirgerbil

Guys if we pass the assessment day and interview, what's next? I've been unable to find a detailed job description! Any idea where training will take place? I've booked myself into a hotel not far from the assessment centre to save me stressing out in the morning ;)

If it's at the OPC you won't find out if you passed the MMI on the day. If you pass it you'll be scheduled for a DMI, passing that medical and start date.

Jd12

What date are you there and what hotel have you gone for? I'm going to book myself in on the Tuesday night.

Sgiot

Is there anyone who put in their application last week who has heard back yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.