• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR staff benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello_world

Hello forum,

I'm considering applying for a role with GTR, but am concerned about the cost of commuting from my home. I read online that GTR offers free travel on its network. How does it work in practise, are you let through the gate with your staff card? Are there limits such as journey distance/ frequency? Are there any restrictions on this for part-time workers? Are the benefits limited to certain roles?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThatGuy349

Hello forum,

I'm considering applying for a role with GTR, but am concerned about the cost of commuting from my home. I read online that GTR offers free travel on its network. How does it work in practise, are you let through the gate with your staff card? Are there limits such as journey distance/ frequency? Are there any restrictions on this for part-time workers? Are the benefits limited to certain roles?
Hello,

With a GTR staff pass there are no restrictions on journey distance or frequency. You get a staff key card which will work at most stations manned by GTR so that's all Southern, Gatwick Express, Thameslink, Great Northern and Southeastern stations. If it doesn't work just show your key card or staff ID and they will open the gate. Of you're part time you get the same benefits as a full time member of staff. You also get a travel pass for any dependents( under18 or under 21 if in full time education) or Sprouse (living the same address).

You will be issued your staff pass straight away and after 6 months of service in the company, you will get your PRIV card which is 75% travel of all UK train operating companies The travel pass for a family member will only be valid on GTR services. So all of the above except southeastern.... And is only to be used for education or leisure travel and you will also be eligible for this after 6 months

Last edited:

whoosh

Established Member
Yes you have a smart card to touch on the gate reader. It will have a passport style photo of you on it.
No limits to how often or far you travel on the GTR network. It will be valid for 'residential' travel (that means to and from work), and 'leisure' travel.

Something to bear in mind, is that GTR currently is Great Northern, Thameslink, Southern and Gatwick Express. At the end of the franchise, these might be split up again, and it will only be the part or parts remaining that you work on, that you will get this benefit with - although sometimes there are reciprocal agreements between TOCs.

I think this benefit is the same for part time workers yes - hopefully someone else can confirm for sure though.

If it's employment directly by the company, not agency work, then it should apply to all roles.

Established Member
Yes you have a smart card to touch on the gate reader. It will have a passport style photo of you on it.
No limits to how often or far you travel on the GTR network. It will be valid for 'residential' travel (that means to and from work), and 'leisure' travel.

Something to bear in mind, is that GTR currently is Great Northern, Thameslink, Southern and Gatwick Express. At the end of the franchise, these might be split up again, and it will only be the part or parts remaining that you work on, that you will get this benefit with - although sometimes there are reciprocal agreements between TOCs.

I think this benefit is the same for part time workers yes - hopefully someone else can confirm for sure though.

If it's employment directly by the company, not agency work, then it should apply to all roles.

Worth noting that SE staff get free travel on GTR TOCs. I’d imagine (but can’t say for for sure) that also works the other way around.

joshuan542

I work for GTR, and the above is accurate.

Travel is unlimited and depending on location ifyou lived on another TOC line you can be granted an extra residential pass, for example on Thameslink north a lot of TFL and East Midlands crew commute via us so they are granted a pass.

who is your local TOC ?

choochoochoo

Established Member
I work for GTR, and the above is accurate.

Travel is unlimited and depending on location ifyou lived on another TOC line you can be granted an extra residential pass, for example on Thameslink north a lot of TFL and East Midlands crew commute via us so they are granted a pass.

who is your local TOC ?
i thought TfL staff only got to travel free as far as the London Oyster Cards read. I wasn't aware of any free travel reciprocal agreement between Tfl/GTR. Although you can get a PTAC Oyster which gives you 75% off Underground/Overground/TfL rail services (not TfL buses though).

Don't know much about the EMR reciprocal agreement, but I believe LNER/GTR have one for Between London - Grantham on LNER / Peterborough on GTR-GN for residential/duty travel.

Josh.1

Off track slightly, still GTR related. Would anyone know what Southern Engineering Grade Pension Scheme is for new entrants coming through. What percentage Is and is final/ Average salary and would this differ between different grades on the RPS Scheme.

I wasn’t able to find a thread on this if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Jimbo12345

i thought TfL staff only got to travel free as far as the London Oyster Cards read. I wasn't aware of any free travel reciprocal agreement between Tfl/GTR. Although you can get a PTAC Oyster which gives you 75% off Underground/Overground/TfL rail services (not TfL buses though).

Don't know much about the EMR reciprocal agreement, but I believe LNER/GTR have one for Between London - Grantham on LNER / Peterborough on GTR-GN for residential/duty travel.

TfL staff can use their Oyster card on the following NR services:

Amersham-Marylebone
Finsbury Park-Moorgate
Fenchurch St-Upminster
Stratford-Liverpool St
Kentish Town-Elephant & Castle/London Bridge
Euston-Watford Junc

choochoochoo

Established Member
TfL staff can use their Oyster card on the following NR services:

Amersham-Marylebone
Finsbury Park-Moorgate
Fenchurch St-Upminster
Stratford-Liverpool St
Kentish Town-Elephant & Castle/London Bridge
Euston-Watford Junc

That's interesting to know as I thought TfL staff just had an oystercard that was accepted any route that accepted payg/season ticket oystercards.

So technically a TfL member of staff couldn't travel from St Pancras to Finsbury Park on a Thameslink service ? Or from Kings Cross to Crews Hill ?

I didn't expect them to be valid for the zones outside zone 6, but inside, I thought they had carte blanche.

joshuan542

That's interesting to know as I thought TfL staff just had an oystercard that was accepted any route that accepted payg/season ticket oystercards.

So technically a TfL member of staff couldn't travel from St Pancras to Finsbury Park on a Thameslink service ? Or from Kings Cross to Crews Hill ?

I didn't expect them to be valid for the zones outside zone 6, but inside, I thought they had carte blanche.
They do, however once the staff live north of Radlett now, they have a residential pass for TL

Anshm

Does anyone know about travel to second (non-rail) jobs on the GTR staff pass (rather than PRIV)? Thinking of getting one.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Does anyone know about travel to second (non-rail) jobs on the GTR staff pass (rather than PRIV)? Thinking of getting one.

Unless you're travelling in a non-gtr uniform, I can't see how any revenue inspectors would even know you're using your staff pass for residential travel for another job.

RJ

Established Member
I think there is some confusion creeping in here because safeguarded staff and new entrant staff have different sets of benefits. As the OP would be a new entrant, they would be entitled to the following benefits;

• GTR Staff Pass - valid on GTR and Southeastern services
  • TOC New Entrant Priv - 75% off residential season tickets and Anytime/Off Peak tickets for leisure travel
  • Priv Oyster discounts - 75% off TfL Only journeys and 75% off National Rail Only journeys
  • Free residential travel on the entire East Midlands Railway network
  • Free residential travel on LNER between London and Newark Northgate
  • Free travel on certain bus companies - bus company staff get free tickets as a reciprocal benefit
  • Reduced period tickets on non-TfL Go-Ahead bus operators - bus operator staff can buy discounted GTR only season tickets as a reciprocal benefit
  • FIP pass

TfL staff who are not safeguarded get the following;
  • Staff Oyster card valid without restriction on TfL modes within the Oyster area - except the cable car and river buses where a discount is given. Also valid on the National Rail routes shown in post #8.
  • 75% season ticket reimbursement on National Rail
  • Priv rate season tickets on GTR - GTR staff get the TfL Priv Oyster discount as a reciprocal benefit
  • Priv rate season tickets on LNER - LNER staff living in London get the TfL Priv Oyster discount as a reciprocal benefit
  • Fixed preferential fares on Eurostar - Eurostar staff get the Priv Oyster as a reciprocal benefit

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited:

choochoochoo

Established Member
I think there is some confusion creeping in here because safeguarded staff and new entrant staff have different sets of benefits. As the OP would be a new entrant, they would be entitled to the following benefits;

• GTR Staff Pass - valid on GTR and Southeastern services
  • TOC New Entrant Priv - 75% off residential season tickets and Anytime/Off Peak tickets for leisure travel
  • Priv Oyster discounts - 75% off TfL Only journeys and 75% off National Rail Only journeys
  • Free residential travel on the entire East Midlands Railway network
  • Free residential travel on LNER between London and Newark Northgate
  • Free travel on certain bus companies - bus company staff get free tickets as a reciprocal benefit
  • Reduced period tickets on non-TfL Go-Ahead bus operators - bus operator staff can buy discounted GTR only season tickets as a reciprocal benefit
  • FIP pass

TfL staff who are not safeguarded get the following;
  • Staff Oyster card valid without restriction on TfL modes within the Oyster area - except the cable car and river buses where a discount is given. Also valid on the National Rail routes shown in post #8.
  • 75% season ticket reimbursement on National Rail
  • Priv rate season tickets on GTR - GTR staff get the TfL Priv Oyster discount as a reciprocal benefit
  • Priv rate season tickets on LNER - LNER staff living in London get the TfL Priv Oyster discount as a reciprocal benefit
  • Fixed preferential fares on Eurostar - Eurostar staff get the Priv Oyster as a reciprocal benefit

Hope that clears things up.

That's pretty helpful for the OP.

So just to confirm, a TfL Staff Oyster is not valid between New Barnet and Finsbury Park on the GTR/GN network ?

Anshm

Unless you're travelling in a non-gtr uniform, I can't see how any revenue inspectors would even know you're using your staff pass for residential travel for another job.

Perhaps through key card or other data/station monitoring? I’m not wanting to fall foul of the rules at all.

Aictos

Established Member

The LNER/GTR one is actually valid between London and Newark Northgate on LNER services and has been since GNER and WAGN days.

I know there was a leisure agreement on weekends for unlimited leisure travel on either TOC a few years back eg a Brighton staff member could travel to Edinburgh and back one weekend for free, think it is still in place but not 100% sure.

baz962

Established Member
Perhaps through key card or other data/station monitoring? I’m not wanting to fall foul of the rules at all.
I think the post you are quoting, meant that for all they know , you could be on a leisure trip .

choochoochoo

Established Member

But if there is nothing to suggest your commuting for another job (eg travelling wearing another uniform) I cannot see how anyone can tell/prove that you're not travelling for leisure purposes.

RJ

Established Member
The LNER/GTR one is actually valid between London and Newark Northgate on LNER services and has been since GNER and WAGN days.

I know there was a leisure agreement on weekends for unlimited leisure travel on either TOC a few years back eg a Brighton staff member could travel to Edinburgh and back one weekend for free, think it is still in place but not 100% sure.

That weekend/bank holiday leisure agreement ended when Virgin Trains took over the East Coast franchise.

Established Member
But if there is nothing to suggest your commuting for another job (eg travelling wearing another uniform) I cannot see how anyone can tell/prove that you're not travelling for leisure purposes.
You have to declare any secondary employment. It wouldnt be that hard to work it out.

SNDave

That's strange. There was nothing in my GTR contract that stated I needed to declare a secondary employment.
Snippet from a fairly recent GTR contract:

"SOLE EMPLOYMENT
You may not engage in any other occupation, profession or business either as director, officer, employee, agent, shareholder, partner, proprietor or otherwise either during or outside your working hours for the Company without first obtaining the written permission of your manager."

Last edited:

choochoochoo

Established Member
Snippet from a fairly recent GTR contract:

"SOLE EMPLOYMENT
You may not engage in any other occupation, profession or business either as director, officer,
employee, agent, shareholder, partner, proprietor or otherwise either during or outside your
working hours for the Company without first obtaining the written permission of your manager."

Must be a new addition. What section number of the contract is it in ? I can't find a Sole Employment section in the contract I signed with them

PupCuff

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a requirement to declare secondary employment, it tends to be fairly standard in the rail industry, that said if someone's role is not safety critical then I don't suppose there is an absolute requirement for it outside good practice. For people undertaking safety critical work there is a specific legal duty on the employer to ensure that they don't carry out safety critical work in circumstances when they are or could become fatigued and it's hard to understand how you'd make an effective consideration of that without checking if the staff member was doing other work, eg finishing their day as a train driver and then doing a night shift zero hours at a warehouse etc between shifts, or a driver driving for a heritage railway on their days off putting them in breach of Hidden. (Hidden is of course not fatigue management but that's for a different thread)

choochoochoo

Established Member
Totally agree that it should be in there. Which is why i'm confused as to why it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.