• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR tell passengers to tweet the RMT their disgust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Southern's customer relations genii have gone on twitter this morning to suggest to customers that they tweet the RMT their disgust at the omnishambles on the GTR lines.

It's going about as well as you'd expect.

If you need cheering up, here's the full thread:

https://twitter.com/SouthernRailUK/status/782827298642857984
Time to get back on track. Tweet @RMTunion & tell them how rail strikes make you feel. http://www.southernrailway.com/RMTStrike #SouthernBackOnTrack
The more polite responses compare Southern's management to Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars. The less polite? Well, I've learned some new sweary words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern's customer relations genii have gone on twitter this morning to suggest to customers that they tweet the RMT their disgust at the omnishambles on the GTR lines.

It's going about as well as you'd expect.

If you need cheering up, here's the full thread:

https://twitter.com/SouthernRailUK/status/782827298642857984

The more polite responses compare Southern's management to Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars. The less polite? Well, I've learned some new sweary words.

I am shocked by this awful unprofessional tweet. It just goes to show how awful and useless the people who run GTR are. This is getting the public to troll the RMT and is probably violating Southern's rules and Twitter's rules. The RMT have remained professional throughout these strikes but Southern have acted like little children. Myself and most other passengers fully support the strikes.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Apparently they had a full page advert in this morning's Metro newspaper too, saying the same thing, so they can't even blame this one on an over-eager intern.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I am shocked by this awful unprofessional tweet. It just goes to show how awful and useless the people who run GTR are. This is getting the public to troll the RMT and is probably violating Southern's rules and Twitter's rules. The RMT have remained professional throughout these strikes but Southern have acted like little children. Myself and most other passengers fully support the strikes.

Sorry, can't let that one through !! - how on earth can you say that the RMT has 'remained professional throughout' when most of their early comments on DOO were full of silly errors and ridiculous side-issues harking back to the Scargill era ?

tsr

Established Member
The RMT have remained professional throughout these strikes...

I think that's a bit far fetched.

Both sides have shown faults during this dispute, and this latest thread and Twitter issue show how deep the disputes and faults remain. I don't condone companies trying to "strike" the RMT or other unions on social media, especially via such a public medium, without really showing an understanding of the opinions of those they are broadcasting to.

I know some people who continue to support the RMT's actions because they consider it to be the only viable stance being taken against job security issues, safety issues and so on. Some of these people are rail workers, some are customers. A number of them have felt they've needed to make a very difficult decision which they did not want to make - a distraction from the operation of the passenger service which I think, in hindsight so far, is becoming less relevant in the short and medium term in the minds of those in control of it, the longer this dispute goes on.

However, I am also acutely aware of a number of people who do not think the RMT strategy was well-planned, including timing and use of negotiations, length of strikes, and hysterical press-releases. I know for definite that the RMT have lost members as a direct result of their public actions in this dispute, and for other reasons too, which may come into public knowledge eventually. What I haven't heard for certain is whether or not they've gained any members.

To some degree much of this can be seen in the DOO thread and other places on this forum and the web. The breadth of different feelings amongst GTR frontline employees possibly can't be seen, actually - although in one way or another, the discussions have still been useful.

This latest problem - this morning's Tweet - is a truly sad indicator of the fragmentation of the railway ecosystem. It's always been fragile, but this is the wrong way to go with that fragility.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
The RMT have remained professional throughout these strikes

I wouldn't call the comment by Mick Cash this morning calling Southern a 'basket case' to be that professional. True, maybe, professional, no.

The RMT don't even have to respond to this, Southern are doing the good work for them.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Having had a passing interest in the whole Southern saga how on earth are they still deemed fit to operate a railway?

They are just doing what the Government have told them to do (which is what we'd have under a nationalised railway).

Whether people agree with drivers pressing a button to open doors or feel that Guards need to be opening the doors to ensure safety, TSGN are sticking to the script given to them by the Government - they are only implementing (or trying to implement!) the measures that the Government clearly want them to.

Any other bidder for TSGN would have done the same (rightly or wrongly).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The RMT have remained professional throughout these strikes but Southern have acted like little children. Myself and most other passengers fully support the strikes.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, the RMT have remained professional??? I think you'll find that this poorly advised tweet from Southern is simply them sinking to the level of the RMT.

That said, credit where it is due; the RMT have been a little less belligerent and more nuanced of late (has someone there been reading my posts?), so it makes the latest idiotic tweet from Southern even more inadvisable.

Someone at Southern needs to take a look at this.

tsr

Established Member
Two full pages, in fact!

What really makes me wonder is why they copy-and-pasted the bottom of it across 2 pages. OK and in some cases even beneficial if it's part of a series of ads several pages apart. But that sort of side-by-side layout was not something I was ever taught in my graphic design classes back in my college days...

jon0844

Veteran Member
It may have been intended to go in over two pages, but someone decided to change it on the flatplan to suit the paper. It certainly does look like these were designed as two individual ads.

Advertisers want right hand pages, and maybe the slots were all filled - so they pulled a page of editorial instead (relieving overworked journalists no doubt, or upsetting them if they'd already written copy that was taken out!!).

greaterwest

Established Member
The same two page ad is on the first two inside pages of the Evening Standard as well.

Bookd

Apart from questions of print quality, which is irreverlent (I have only seen the picture in this thread) the bullet points on the left hand page seem reasonable for the company to make in their defence. You may disagree - thousands of posts do - but if a company can't decide how it runs its business it might as well hand over the franchise to the RMT and let them get on with it. (Not nationalisation, as the Government makes the rules in the first place)
In any other business the company sets the rules, takes them blame if things go wrong, and if the staff don't like it they have the option of leaving (which I did in a previous career) - why should railways be different?

EM2

Established Member
In any other business the company sets the rules, takes them blame if things go wrong, and if the staff don't like it they have the option of leaving (which I did in a previous career) - why should railways be different?
Two points.
  • What happens after 2021?
  • What about the other functions that these staff carry out that aren't mentioned?

Antman

Established Member

And I can't let your final sentence go unchallenged. What makes you think "most other passengers fully support the strikes"? Ask them if they want a guard on the train most will say yes until they realise it doubles the chances of their train being cancelled because of staff being unavailable.

Bookd

Who knows what happens after 2021 - not GTR as they might not have the franchise. Why make their passengers suffer in the meantime? Really this suggests that the action is against government policy, for which the ballot box is designed.

KTHV

Ouch...

Mr Park & Ride - ‏@ProvVindicator
@SouthernRailUK hopefully when you get stripped of your franchise rights - Govia can concentrate full-time on mismanaging London Midland

racyrich

As a c2c commuter I don't really totally follow the minutiae of how Southern trains are staffed, but dare I ask, currently, are some trains still with guards and some already without? As is the case on c2c - 12 coachers have guards.

If the answer is yes, do any passengers who agree that no guard represents a safety issue therefore boycott such trains in favour of the ones with guards?

Caleb2010

And I can't let your final sentence go unchallenged. What makes you think "most other passengers fully support the strikes"? Ask them if they want a guard on the train most will say yes until they realise it doubles the chances of their train being cancelled because of staff being unavailable.

But, if Southern had a full compliment of staff, spares and holiday relief - it would reduce the risk of cancellations dramatically, wouldn't it?

Look at the tweet's to Southern - that doesn't give the impression that most people are against the union at all.

Yes, Southern are basically only doing what the government want them to but, they've handled thing in probably the worse way they could. Trying to turn passengers against its own staff, the very people charged with their passengers safety.

It's no wonder passengers and staff are of common though towards Southern - A bad workman blames his tools applies to management as well!

physics34

Established Member
Two points.
  • What happens after 2021?
  • What about the other functions that these staff carry out that aren't mentioned?

The new franchise will probably be able get rid of all guards and OBS, it's obvious that this is what the aim is. It happened on gatwick express

F Great Eastern

Established Member
From what I've heard a lot of the Southern drivers DON'T WANT full cover, They want more than there is now but not full cover because many are worried this would reduce their earnings through lack of overtime being on offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.