• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR to loan 6 387's to GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Is it a safe bet that Reading TCD will be their 'home' in terms of maintenance etc?

Edit: This is meant to cover all of the transferred stock, not just 201 & 203 :)

Its where the c2c sets are too, so yes Reading TCD will be the place for maintenance although they might occasionally be stabled at W. Ealing I suppose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yep currently working Newbury 2Zxx services and then planned to arrive into Paddington:

1K29 (1820 Newbury - Paddington) attachment at Reading.
1K58 (1935 Paddington - Newbury)
1K59 (2032 Newbury - Paddington)

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
387208 has received Great Northern logos, which even say 'operated by Gatwick Express' next to them in white text. Make of that what you will!
Southern trying to rinse more money without the Gatwick Express services and their premium!

JN114

Established Member
As I think I and @FGW_DID both put upthread

They have their own diagrams, which entail Newbury work through the bulk of the day then a couple of Paddington - Newburys at the end

But the red sets are fully compatible with the green ones, so there’s no technical reason they cannot turn up anywhere; and I’m sure they will in time.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
As I think I and @FGW_DID both put upthread

They have their own diagrams, which entail Newbury work through the bulk of the day then a couple of Paddington - Newburys at the end

But the red sets are fully compatible with the green ones, so there’s no technical reason they cannot turn up anywhere; and I’m sure they will in time.
How come the C2C sets aren't compatible then?

fgwrich

Established Member
There certainly seemed to be a number of them out and about today. At one point this evening Reading certainly didn’t resemble Reading, with 202+204 sat in Platform 7 bound for Paddington, and white 301 + 306 occupying the bay platforms.

I was also a little surprised to see a total removing of the GX branding, given that the C2C units still retain theirs.

superalbs

Established Member
I was also a little surprised to see a total removing of the GX branding, given that the C2C units still retain theirs.
Suppose that might cause confusion at Reading, where the train labelled 'Gatwick' doesn't go there, but the GWR one does!

banjo125

Had the Gatwick Branding been removed before they transferred from South of the Thames to Hornsey?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Suppose that might cause confusion at Reading, where the train labelled 'Gatwick' doesn't go there, but the GWR one does!
this happens at Cambridge. 379s in "Stansted Express" branding don't (usually) go to Stansted from there

JaJaWa

Established Member
Great Northern currently have some branded as “Great Northern operated by Gatwick Express” (should surely be “Gatwick Express operated by Great Northern”), wonder if the GWR ones will get the same.

Bayum

Established Member
Great Northern currently have some branded as “Great Northern operated by Gatwick Express” (should surely be “Gatwick Express operated by Great Northern”), wonder if the GWR ones will get the same.
The latter implies it’s a Gatwick Express service run by Great Northern, so that wouldn’t work.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

These were a bit bizarre but I wonder if it was being used as an internal GTR promotional thing, i.e. "look, this is what you can normally go to Gatwick on"?

I can't see the same context being relevant to GWR.

Fincra5

Established Member
These were a bit bizarre but I wonder if it was being used as an internal GTR promotional thing, i.e. "look, this is what you can normally go to Gatwick on"?

I can't see the same context being relevant to GWR.
Gatwick Express are a big fan of "The Brand", which is why all the SN services using GX Coaches are advertised as such and the OBS' announce it as so.

JN114

Established Member
How come the C2C sets aren't compatible then?

SDO Hardware differences mean the SDO doesn’t work properly if they are leading a multi-unit formation, so they have to either run solo or middle unit in a 12 car - hence why they’ve only been on Newburys; it’s the only pure 4 car work

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Had the Gatwick Branding been removed before they transferred from South of the Thames to Hornsey?

Yes it was definitely before arriving at GWR, at Hornsey I believe. No point going wild with rebranding / painting when they're only on loan to GWR.

fgwrich

Established Member

They are, in some cases not particularly very well but de-branded nonetheless. I did notice while walking alongside 202 + 204 last night that bits of white and Gatwick Express still remain.

Attachments

• 00A80950-F54F-4DB2-AF96-61FA6AF8F8B2.jpeg
    00A80950-F54F-4DB2-AF96-61FA6AF8F8B2.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 177
  • 143A6111-F717-47E1-BF5A-941FCE2A4402.jpeg
    143A6111-F717-47E1-BF5A-941FCE2A4402.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.