• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

baz962

Established Member
If applying to other TOCS, what's the process?

Despite completing all of the assessments & interviews elsewhere, I'd imagine a new TOC would need to put you through a DMI & MMI or how does it work?
Depends. If you have psychometric test results that are high enough for that TOC , then DMI only. If the scores you have are not high enough for them , then you might have to redo some.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SGD5891

Just wondering if anyone on this thread that applied Dec 2020 got a start for Eastbourne depot? I know few people been given starts with Brighton….

Driver_wife

Just wondering if anyone on this thread that applied Dec 2020 got a start for Eastbourne depot? I know few people been given starts with Brighton….
In general it’s very doubtful anyone will get given a small depot like Eastbourne as a starting depot- you will most likely be able to put in for a transfer there from Brighton 3 years after you started driving.. But to actually start from Eastbourne isn’t really heard of as far as I know..

Quin79

In general it’s very doubtful anyone will get given a small depot like Eastbourne as a starting depot- you will most likely be able to put in for a transfer there from Brighton 3 years after you started driving.. But to actually start from Eastbourne isn’t really heard of as far as I know..
Not that easy to move once in though. You only get one move for the career with the TOC unless a clause move I believe

SGD5891

That’s what I was thinking to be honest, but I know the December 20 intake for trainees was advertising for Eastbourne as well as Brighton…. Which made me wonder if anyone has actually started a course and had Eastbourne as there starting depot when they pass out

JamieMg

Hi. I am due to sit the GTR trainee train driver assessment day later this month (May '22) and wondered if anyone has sat it recently and if there are any tips anyone feels they can share? I have been researching and practising the tests but any tips from what happens on the actual day would be really appreciated. For example, my assessment is the full day 10am-4pm so assume I will be sitting all of the tests up to the MMI? Has that been other peoples experience?

Sly Sloth

Hi. I am due to sit the GTR trainee train driver assessment day later this month (May '22) and wondered if anyone has sat it recently and if there are any tips anyone feels they can share? I have been researching and practising the tests but any tips from what happens on the actual day would be really appreciated. For example, my assessment is the full day 10am-4pm so assume I will be sitting all of the tests up to the MMI? Has that been other peoples experience?
You’ll sit all of the tests and answer the mmi questions but not the mmi interview. Get plenty of rest the night before, consider a hotel if you live miles away. It’s a long day so pack lunch and keep well hydrated

JamieMg

You’ll sit all of the tests and answer the mmi questions but not the mmi interview. Get plenty of rest the night before, consider a hotel if you live miles away. It’s a long day so pack lunch and keep well hydrated
Thank, very helpful, Sly. Regarding the MMI interview, does that mean I will be given the questions they want me to provide answers for but the actual interview covering those questions will happen at a later session on another day? And if I given the MMI questions to answer does that mean I passed all of the other tests on the day? Thanks

Sly Sloth

Thank, very helpful, Sly. Regarding the MMI interview, does that mean I will be given the questions they want me to provide answers for but the actual interview covering those questions will happen at a later session on another day? And if I given the MMI questions to answer does that mean I passed all of the other tests on the day? Thanks
Yes, if you pass all the tests on the day you’ll answer the mmi questions for a future interview should you pass the driver manager interview.

Porter

Hi all, recently passed MMI and joined the pool for GTR/Southern. Hopefully not a long wait, fingers crossed. Who's in there with me?!

Biscwit

Hi, I also have my assessment coming up….in approximately 15hrs!!!!!!o_O When I read the information provided it said you ‘may’ have your MMI. I took this as, if you pass everything throughout the day you would have it…on the same day.
Obviously if it is a definite that it won’t happen the same day then I would rather spend the remaining hours swatting up on other things. As right now I am going through questions.

Luckyflames

Hi, I also have my assessment coming up….in approximately 15hrs!!!!!!o_O When I read the information provided it said you ‘may’ have your MMI. I took this as, if you pass everything throughout the day you would have it…on the same day.
Obviously if it is a definite that it won’t happen the same day then I would rather spend the remaining hours swatting up on other things. As right now I am going through questions.
I’m not sure. As I sat my tests in May 2021. And the MMI was on
A different day. Really need someone who’s taken them recently to respond.

Was due a monthly update week commencing 16/5/22. Anyone heard anything ?

Last edited:

Porter

Thank you!! @Luckyflames. So you've been waiting a year?

@Biscwit I'm pretty certain it won't be same day as the DMI comes first and that isn't at the same place and is definitely not on the day. With GTR the MMI is the final stage, not including medical.

Sly Sloth

You won’t sit it. Youll answer the MMI questions but not the interview. These answers can be changed on the day you sit the MMI so you could write anything!!

Luckyflames

You won’t sit it. Youll answer the MMI questions but not the interview. These answers can be changed on the day you sit the MMI so you could write anything!!
I would advise against this 100%. Answer the questions as you would. Lots advice on here. And the 6 questions you’ll be asked

Biscwit

Hi, Thanks for that. I got 4 of the 6 questions I thought I would. Luckily I was able to think of examples for others. What I did struggle with on them is that I thought you were supposed to use the STAR method for them too. That was pretty impossible as you were only supposed to write about 25 words.

Luckyflames

Work your answers now in the star method. Write them out and memorise. You won’t go far wrong. And what they’re looking for on each of the 6 answers. I’ll message you.

Carl98k

Hi, Thanks for that. I got 4 of the 6 questions I thought I would. Luckily I was able to think of examples for others. What I did struggle with on them is that I thought you were supposed to use the STAR method for them too. That was pretty impossible as you were only supposed to write about 25 words.
Bullet points will do.

choochoochoo

Established Member
if i remember correctly, you don't have to answer the written part to STAR format. You're just letting the interviewer know what situation you're going to talk about. When it comes to the interview you then use the STAR format to elaborate.

FITZ-G

Evening all,

Got my assessment coming up next week for Southern and was just wondering if some members can give me an idea of a few of the competency based questions they were asked?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Biscwit,

Hope your assessment Centre went well. I have my assessment in Croydon next week. Just wanted a heads up on what the structure of the day was and also some of the questions you were asked in your interview?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Luckyflames

Update received. No courses for Southern available for me next update 13/6/22. Anyone luckily enough to be offered a course ?

Chippy123

Update received. No courses for Southern available for me next update 13/6/22. Anyone luckily enough to be offered a course ?
Sorry to hear that. I’m very fortunate (and grateful) I’ve been offered a course for July. But I’m with Great Northern. I don’t think there are many Great Northern Poolers on here though.

baz962

Established Member
Thank you!! @Luckyflames. So you've been waiting a year?

@Biscwit I'm pretty certain it won't be same day as the DMI comes first and that isn't at the same place and is definitely not on the day. With GTR the MMI is the final stage, not including medical.
Although it was five years ago. I had my dmi last with gtr.

Twotwo

Sorry to hear that. I’m very fortunate (and grateful) I’ve been offered a course for July. But I’m with Great Northern. I don’t think there are many Great Northern Poolers on here though.

Congratulations! What depot? I've recently finished rules and traction and now waiting for an driver instructor to be available.