• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KJCross1983

On the Southern side. I have heard that after the current lot at training school, there will be no more intake of trainee drivers for two years. :frown:

Class2ldn

I know at three bridges the roster has been reduced recently as there's just not the work to sustain that amount of lines. Still plenty of uncovered work though.

REO Nate

Southern only recently re-advertised for BTN and VIC. I was led to understand this is because there are more projected vacancies that will need filing in the next 12 months; because of people are moving on/retiring etc.

If it’s true there will be no Southern courses for 2 years, that will leave them miles behind their recruitment needs and will leave even more gaps on the roster.

I don’t think anyone truly knows exactly what’s happening, but I hope that’s not true and that they start running courses again soon.

REO Nate

If the rumours are true re:southern. I’m gutted.

It’s a little disheartening. Fingers crossed for a course soon. At my DMI they told they’re looking at the next year to year and a half. That was June last year. So I’ll give em until Dec :)

I had my DMI at the beginning of October and was told 12 months ish, so that ties in with what you were told. Obviously I accept things can and often do change.

It’s certainly disheartening when almost daily you see Southern services being cancelled due to availability of crew. :'(

I was talking to a Southern DI a few nights ago and he said there are plenty of DIs available, so it’s not that, which is causing an issue.

Luckyflames

I had my DMI at the beginning of October and was told 12 months ish, so that ties in with what you were told. Obviously I accept things can and often do change.

It’s certainly disheartening when almost daily you see Southern services being cancelled due to availability of crew. :'(

I was talking to a Southern DI a few nights ago and he said there are plenty of DIs available, so it’s not that, which is causing an issue.

I’m not sure. Just eagerly awaiting the monthly update email. To which I haven’t received one this month, you ? And how many of there are us awaiting a course for Southern do you think ?

REO Nate

I’m not sure. Just eagerly awaiting the monthly update email. To which I haven’t received one this month, you ? And how many of there are us awaiting a course for Southern do you think ?

Not had the monthly email yet. I suspect it will probably be late this week or early next week. Trudy seems to be inundated with work at the moment.

I honestly have no idea. I know of at least 5 for Brighton.

Kay_M

Does anyone know what the state of play is with regards to the Ashford extension. I can still see on some maps that it has the Ashford extension on it with broken lines surrounding it.

GN Boy

Does anyone know what the state of play is with regards to the Ashford extension. I can still see on some maps that it has the Ashford extension on it with broken lines surrounding it.

Do you mean the TL Cambridge to Maidstone/Ashford service? If so, it’s as dead as a can of spam.

REO Nate

Yes that one. Is that service not going ahead now?

TL Binned it entirely. Southeastern were going to pick it up instead and recruited a load of people, but it’s now all on hold again.

Not sure it will ever go ahead in its current format, we are waiting to hear.

Kay_M

TL Binned it entirely. Southeastern were going to pick it up instead and recruited a load of people, but it’s now all on hold again.

Not sure it will ever go ahead in its current format, we are waiting to hear.
Fair enough. That is a shame to be honest

Jaguar

Work your answers now in the star method. Write them out and memorise. You won’t go far wrong. And what they’re looking for on each of the 6 answers. I’ll message you.
Hi been looking all over the forum for the 6 questions for MMI and what they are looking for any chance you could point me in the right direction?

Jaguar

1/ When have you been relied upon to do a job well in the face of difficulties?

2/ When have you had to work and it was important not to make a mistake?

3/ When have you had to follow rules and procedures?

4/ When have you taken control of a pressurised or emergency situation?

5/ When have you had to persevere to learn?

6/ Describe a task that you have done that is similar to that of a train driver.
I cannot thank you enough.

1/ When have you been relied upon to do a job well in the face of difficulties?

2/ When have you had to work and it was important not to make a mistake?

3/ When have you had to follow rules and procedures?

4/ When have you taken control of a pressurised or emergency situation?

5/ When have you had to persevere to learn?

6/ Describe a task that you have done that is similar to that of a train driver.
Can any of you guys who recently done the assessment or any one in fact remember anything about the trainability test (memory) test and how it looked? And can anyone explain to me pretty much how the perception test looks?

Last edited:

Haru

TRP part 1 was read a passage and also listen to a recording of it, had five minutes to make notes, everything taken away then answer multiple choice questions.

JamieMg

Hi all. I had my assessment day in May (which I thankfully passed) and have just received the date for my DMI for GTR. Can anyone who has been through the process recently give me an idea of what to expect in terms of the process and the types of questions they might ask? Thanks

Sly Sloth

Hi all. I had my assessment day in May (which I thankfully passed) and have just received the date for my DMI for GTR. Can anyone who has been through the process recently give me an idea of what to expect in terms of the process and the types of questions they might ask? Thanks
My mate had an interview with southern recently and said it was very customer service orientated…. When have you gone the extra mile to help others? When did you last work with a team member to assist a customer? When did you last strive to improve a customers experience? Plus the usual, what do you know about GTR?

Mman1500

Had mine recently. Very nice nice relaxed. Do your research about the company and let your personality shine. You‘ll be fine.

JamieMg

My mate had an interview with southern recently and said it was very customer service orientated…. When have you gone the extra mile to help others? When did you last work with a team member to assist a customer? When did you last strive to improve a customers experience? Plus the usual, what do you know about GTR?
Thanks Sly, great insight, appreciate it. Will definitely help me focus

Had mine recently. Very nice nice relaxed. Do your research about the company and let your personality shine. You‘ll be fine.
Great stuff, thanks Mman!