• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

soxiez

Finishing the page on the group bourdon is irelevant, where somebody finishes on the page isn’t relevant either unless it’s very slow. A good indicator speed is making a strike every two seconds.

Several years after I qualified our company took part in a workshop with the OPC back in 2012 to talk about non-technical skills where we were able to look over our results and identify strengths and weaknesses. These tests get rid of so many applicants and the issues are always usually the following.

1. Being accurate but not being fast enough.

At the end of the day you are being timed for the vast majority of exercises. Don’t get hung up on making mistakes by trying to be overly careful. Move as briskly as you feel comfortable doing. If you’ve got time to rethink something you’re putting down then you’re probably going too slow.

2. Being too fast and making mistakes

The opposite of the above. Don’t get hung up on trying to finish the exercise. Fore most where are you are left to your own devices and being timed rarely anyone ever does unless they are a NASA super computer

3. spending too much time on an individual mark

This is the most common I think. People get thinking about an individual mark and waste a lot of time trying to put an answer down when in that time they could’ve answered another 3. That’s three marks lost overall. You don’t lose marks for not being able to answer a question. if you feel that is taking too much time move onto the next one to leave it blank.

4. Not understanding what is required in the first place

Don’t be afraid to ask the examiner if you don’t understand what is required from you. Ask them five times if you have to. Nobody is going to think you’re stupid. Seen it enough times where people feel embarrassed to say something.

5. Going back to correct things.

Goes back to spending time. If you have finished the exercise and have time to do this then fine. If you get three questions down and then have doubt that you’ve messed one up don’t even think about it, keep moving. Because if you go back and correct it and still get it wrong not only have you lost the mark of the question you’re trying to correct but you also lose potentially another two marks you spent in the time trying to correct your error.

Remember time versus accuracy. A strong pass is somebody who understands how to balance these perfectly and is efficient in how they utilise the time given to them to complete a task within a margin of accuracy.

Hopefully to those of you that haven’t done the tests or are in the process of taking the tests this information is useful. Obviously not everything is timed but generally stay away from these errors and you have a good chance. Now I wanna see a thread of everybody saying they’ve passed! :D
this is all super helpful advice to anyone going into their assessment day. and to get the ball rolling on the last part of your message - i ended up passing! personally i found slowing myself down the key, but everyone is different as you said. big relief to get those tests out of the way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

this is all super helpful advice to anyone going into their assessment day. and to get the ball rolling on the last part of your message - i ended up passing! personally i found slowing myself down the key, but everyone is different as you said. big relief to get those tests out of the way.
Well done

PlayerOne

Morning,

Apologies if this has been asked already but does anyone have a contact number or email for GTR Thameslink at please ?
Applied a while back and had absolutely no correspondence apart from the confirmation email of receiving my application.

Any contact details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LCC106

Established Member
There’s a number on page 3 but no idea if it’s correct. They have most likely received literally thousands of applications so try to sit tight!

Morning,

Apologies if this has been asked already but does anyone have a contact number or email for GTR Thameslink at please ?
Applied a while back and had absolutely no correspondence apart from the confirmation email of receiving my application.

Any contact details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I was in the same situation but received an email out the blue today with a rejection.

Chao888

I have just got a email confirmation that I successful with Thames Link and I need to do the GTR1 questionnaire but the only thing is I have already pass with Southern and is waiting for a assessment date does anyone else got through with more than 1 applications?

Hustlequeen

If I passed an SJT in June 2019 with another toc do I still need to do the SJT with thameslink? I thought if it’s under 2 years anything you’ve passed counts. Just been emailed to do it

dth

If I passed an SJT in June 2019 with another toc do I still need to do the SJT with thameslink? I thought if it’s under 2 years anything you’ve passed counts. Just been emailed to do it
Yeah you have to do it regardless. Same applies to the mini scatt, you'd have to complete that again also.

Quin79

Yeah you have to do it regardless. Same applies to the mini scatt, you'd have to complete that again also.
What about if on same application round I. E passed it all in Feb with Southern and today get a Thameslink email ?

dth

What about if on same application round I. E passed it all in Feb with Southern and today get a Thameslink email ?
I wouldn't have thought so but I would get a confirmation from HR directly.

Quin79

I wouldn't have thought so but I would get a confirmation from HR directly.
I wouldn't have either as same company in essence under GTR and to their standards. Interview coming up with Southern so getting my prep in

sei108

Anyone else applied for this hear anything ?
New to the forum first post! Been lurking for awhile before I joined. I also applied for this role but have heard nothing apart from acknowledgment emails for the initial application. I had thought there may be some contact before the closing date, but will probably have to wait till after the 31st.

Some of the replies I have seen have raised a question for me though, on such applications are we to hear back from all franchises separately or is a one size fits all with acceptances/rejections? Good luck to all!8-)

Twotwo

Bit of an update. I attended an assessment last week for great Northern and was required to sit the DFFT which I can say I've passed. Was quite difficult and I only managed about 8.5 lol. Just waiting for an interview now! Good luck to everyone.

Big dom

Bit of an update. I attended an assessment last week for great Northern and was required to sit the DFFT which I can say I've passed. Was quite difficult and I only managed about 8.5 lol. Just waiting for an interview now! Good luck to everyone.
Am pleased for you still waiting for assessment date . How many were on it and how many passed if you don’t mind me asking

Twotwo

Am pleased for you still waiting for assessment date . How many were on it and how many passed if you don’t mind me asking

I only had to come in and sit the dfft so we sat that first and I was allowed to go home so I don't know about the rest. There was 6 of us. As far as I know you sit everything except the mmi so it's a long day for those who need to sit everything.

Big dom

I only had to come in and sit the dfft so we sat that first and I was allowed to go home so I don't know about the rest. There was 6 of us. As far as I know you sit everything except the mmi so it's a long day for those who need to sit everything.
Thanks for that .Had you applied before the December date or had you passed at a previous TOC. Good luck on interview did they say how long it would be ?

Twotwo

Thanks for that .Had you applied before the December date or had you passed at a previous TOC. Good luck on interview did they say how long it would be ?

So I've the assessments with another toc. I applied around December time, same as everybody else. I think they recently readvertised to get more female applications. When I went on Monday they said they've been doing assessments for a few weeks now. No date for now which is good as it gives me time to prepare.

Quin79

Passed DMI and now final hurdle of MMI to go. Some good preparation I hope will pay off.

Good luck to everyone in whatever stage of the process they are in. Keep the faith

CurtisGodby

Passed DMI and now final hurdle of MMI to go. Some good preparation I hope will pay off.

Good luck to everyone in whatever stage of the process they are in. Keep the faith
Congrats ! May I ask do you remember the questions DMI consists of and do you have any advice? Currently waiting for a DMI date

Quin79

Congrats ! May I ask do you remember the questions DMI consists of and do you have any advice? Currently waiting for a DMI date
Would be wrong to provide the questions. All I would say is have some background knowledge of the organisation, be able to show your motivation for the role and think about safety and customer service in your examples. Good luck

JAlexander

Anybody else had an email over the past couple of days to say they are still waiting for Assessment dates?
Hopefully soon! (Southern)

Anybody else had an email over the past couple of days to say they are still waiting for Assessment dates?
Hopefully soon! (Southern)
Yes I received this today. I passed the online tests in January and have received regular updates to say they are waiting for assessment dates or they are already filled for the month.

Big dom

Yes I received this today. I passed the online tests in January and have received regular updates to say they are waiting for assessment dates or they are already filled for the month.
Can I ask how often you have the emails as I have had no updates yet and am waiting for assessment too

Thanks for that I only passed my online ones about 2 weeks ago but had hoped for an email just giving a rough date
I was initially told February dates were full and I’d be contacted to be booked in for a March date. Then I was told March was full and they were waiting for April dates. Then I was told April was fully booked as well.
I’ll just continue to be patient.

Big dom

I was initially told February dates were full and I’d be contacted to be booked in for a March date. Then I was told March was full and they were waiting for April dates. Then I was told April was fully booked as well.
I’ll just continue to be patient.
I agree fully but would just love a crack at the tests .