• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Chippy123

Congratulations! What depot? I've recently finished rules and traction and now waiting for an driver instructor to be available.
Thank you and a massive congratulations to you too! You must be so proud! I believe I will be at Hornsey. How about you, which depot were you based at? And what will they have you do whilst waiting for driving instructor availability?

Congratulations @Chippy123, how long were you in the pool?
Thank you @Porter , I was in the pool for a month. Are you also going through the Great Northern process?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Porter

Thank you and a massive congratulations to you too! You must be so proud! I believe I will be at Hornsey. How about you, which depot were you based at? And what will they have you do whilst waiting for driving instructor availability?

Thank you @Porter , I was in the pool for a month. Are you also going through the Great Northern process?
@Chippy123 A month is great :D!! Southern process for me, got my fingers crossed for a short pool residency.

Twotwo

Front end turns (travel up front with a driver) most likely.

Excatly that. Unfortunately there isn't much hornsey or inner link driver instructors available so I'll probably end up going with Peterborougher or Cambridge DI until a inner link driver becomes available.

REO Nate

Did a TL interview yesterday. Was asked if I wanted to do one as well as the Southern, just in case it moves quicker. Waiting for the result.

Luckyflames

Did a TL interview yesterday. Was asked if I wanted to do one as well as the Southern, just in case it moves quicker. Waiting for the result.

Hopefully that gives you a chance to get on a course quicker. Wish they’d asked me ‍♂️

Nothing for me from TL unfortunately.
Fingers crossed for the future. What are the depots for trainees for TL please ?

Tigerkenco

I passed my Mmi in January, had a medical today, then contract through by the afternoon and I start in July. So happy obviously! Just wanted to say a big thanks to all the contributors on this forum, the assistance was invaluable. And good luck to all.

REO Nate

I passed my Mmi in January, had a medical today, then contract through by the afternoon and I start in July. So happy obviously! Just wanted to say a big thanks to all the contributors on this forum, the assistance was invaluable. And good luck to all.

Congrats!

Which TOC and depot please?

ElisaHarkness

Well done!

Bloody brutal reading mind :lol:

Is that Thameslink?

Established Member
I'm not sure what the work is at welwyn but it cant be any worse then st albans.

Isn’t St Albans the only GTR depot that doesn’t sign north of Luton?

Agreed Sutton Loops are depressing - the drivers often look grim faced when I wave at them from the fasts, when they’re in the turn-back siding :(.

GN Boy

I'm not sure what the work is at welwyn but it cant be any worse then st albans.

Welwyn GC drivers sign King’s Cross/Moorgate to Cambridge via Hertford and Welwyn GC, with a mixture of 717 and 700 work. One of their links additionally sign via the Core to Sevenoaks via Catford.

mresh91

Isn’t St Albans the only GTR depot that doesn’t sign north of Luton?

Agreed Sutton Loops are depressing - the drivers often look grim faced when I wave at them from the fasts, when they’re in the turn-back siding :(.

St Albans sign through to Bedford. And fret not about the Sutton loop, grim faces is the look of any driver once they've booked on, regardless of route/TOC.

Economist

How do we reckon the Sutton Loop compares to a Slade Green rounder? Surely the scenery can't be as depressing as the post-industrial hellscape of Woolwich and the concrete jungle of the Thamesmead estate?

ItchyRsole

Surely the scenery can't be as depressing as the post-industrial hellscape of Woolwich and the concrete jungle of the Thamesmead estate?
In a sick kind of way this excites me as I have a thing for urban / industrial architecture and feel

westcoaster

Established Member
What routes do Cricklewood drivers sign?
Bedford-London bridge
Blackfriars - Orpington
Sutton loop (plus a few ecs to London bridge low level)
Diversions
Crystal palace
Selhurst
West Croydon
London bridge LL via Peckham Rye + connection to high level to reach Blackfriars

ItchyRsole

Bedford-London bridge
Blackfriars - Orpington
Sutton loop (plus a few ecs to London bridge low level)
Diversions
Crystal palace
Selhurst
West Croydon
London bridge LL via Peckham Rye + connection to high level to reach Blackfriars
Interesting thanks a lot mate.

Do you know what working out of CRI depot is like in general as depots go?