• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jules1970

I put mine in for Southern and TL on saturday and got a straight no from Southern this afternoon, not holding much hope for TL either now.

J97

Unfortunately they won’t accept it now, I’m internal and they have done this with me around a year ago too for a different post let alone driver (I’ve heard on the grapevine the volume of applications they got with this one and it’s a very scary number). Cv alone also won’t cut it as they require the application questions to be filled in
Thank you for replying & for a great insight. I will keep an eye out for any jobs in the future

Gorlash1886

Unfortunately they won’t accept it now, I’m internal and they have done this with me around a year ago too for a different post let alone driver (I’ve heard on the grapevine the volume of applications they got with this one and it’s a very scary number). Cv alone also won’t cut it as they require the application questions to be filled in
I must admit I'm curious as to the number you have heard, I can imagine it's going to be horrendous.

jezzer34

I must admit I'm curious as to the number you have heard, I can imagine it's going to be horrendous.
Well on this site alone this thread has nearly 10k views. they advertised it on social media which many tocs don't although should as it gets to the masses. Its also around the most populated area in the country and they accept relocation, so i would hazard a guess its in excess of 10k applicants minimum.

micker001

Well on this site alone this thread has nearly 10k views. they advertised it on social media which many tocs don't although should as it gets to the masses. Its also around the most populated area in the country and they accept relocation, so i would hazard a guess its in excess of 10k applicants minimum.
Wow. Its very difficult to get anywhere in life and its because when you see a good opportunity there are 10 thousand others that want the same thing.

I was hoping an online test would pop up after the application form but it looks like a lot are going to get eliminated on the application form.

LCC106

Established Member
Back in 2011 when I applied for a different TOC there were 750 applications per position. I should imagine you’re looking at much more than that now.

Joliver

Just an insight into potential numbers that have applied. When my London based TOC last recruited, they had in excess of over 30,000 applicants. It's a very sought after job.

Gorlash1886

I know on the assessment day I sat for the toc I work for we were told they had 1400 applications per position

Twotwo

I'm not suprised if it's in that number seeing as they advertised it on their social media such as twitter and Facebook. On twitter, some of their drivers were nice enough to share the link and help and encourage others to apply.

PlayerOne

Seems as though that’s the norm applications wise for such sought after positions. Sorry to hear of those who have had a no from Southern has anyone heard from TL out of interest ? And also does anyone have any idea of this is for a talent pool where if successful you could remain for a period of time or are they looking to fill positions ASAP ?

I know on the assessment day I sat for the toc I work for we were told they had 1400 applications per position
Like wise ! Although I am still awaiting a DMI. I’ve seen you’re name pop up a lot of these forums with advice And how persistent you’ve had to be to get where you are so congrats ! Out of interest is there a lot of distance learning due to COVID ? I’ve heard mixed things and also heard distance learning is how the training may well be heading in regards to the theory classroom based part of the training ?

Gooner265

Seems as though that’s the norm applications wise for such sought after positions. Sorry to hear of those who have had a no from Southern has anyone heard from TL out of interest ? And also does anyone have any idea of this is for a talent pool where if successful you could remain for a period of time or are they looking to fill positions ASAP ?

Like wise ! Although I am still awaiting a DMI. I’ve seen you’re name pop up a lot of these forums with advice And how persistent you’ve had to be to get where you are so congrats ! Out of interest is there a lot of distance learning due to COVID ? I’ve heard mixed things and also heard distance learning is how the training may well be heading in regards to the theory classroom based part of the training ?
I have applied for all three , did so last week not heard from any of them yet.

Gorlash1886

The training at my place has been a mixture to be fair some at home some in the classroom, it was really depending if they had enough space to accommodate all the courses. My group have moved onto traction now so a lot more yard oriented though

PlayerOne

The training at my place has been a mixture to be fair some at home some in the classroom, it was really depending if they had enough space to accommodate all the courses. My group have moved onto traction now so a lot more yard oriented though
Nice one thanks mate. Hope you’re enjoying the training. With a bit of luck I’ll be in the same position at some point next year. Hear many stories where people have been in a talent pool for three years or more and appear to have been either over looked or just lost into the ether. All the best buddy.

joshuan542

Nice one thanks mate. Hope you’re enjoying the training. With a bit of luck I’ll be in the same position at some point next year. Hear many stories where people have been in a talent pool for three years or more and appear to have been either over looked or just lost into the ether. All the best buddy.
This is correct I know far too many (internal) who have been sat in the pools for between 2-5 years and forgotten about its common across all TOCs too

I have applied for all three , did so last week not heard from any of them yet.
Emails have been slowly dished out from southern so far, the number of applications they have received have been insanely high this time I won’t disclose the number I’ve been told for fear of causing a heart attack

UnknownG

Ive heard nothing. Im assuming will know something before christmas

Does anyone know where i stand if i completed all the psychometric test and waiting for a DMI before the vacancy at that depot got pulled?

Last edited:

Ladder23

Established Member
I’m hoping now my current career is a firefighter I will potentially stand a better chance than my last attempt at this, I managed to update my CV just in time.... also no news for me yet!

IoM

Does anyone have any insight as to whether this recruitment drive was for a talent pool -where one could be waiting a long time if successful - or for current positions?

Does anyone have any insight as to whether this recruitment drive was for a talent pool -where one could be waiting a long time if successful - or for current positions?
I would assume it is a talent pool as people are still in the pool from the last recruitment drive

Need2

I would assume it is a talent pool as people are still in the pool from the last recruitment drive
I would not assume that.
Trainees can be taken on a long time after other candidates have been put in a talent pool.
Don't ask me why because I haven't the foggiest, you could quite easily pass these assessments,mmi etc and leapfrog those in a talent pool and get a start before them.