• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Spaniard

I have just had my assessment day for Thameslink. The morning was pen & paper tests and the afternoon was computer-aided tests. They marked us and gave us the results at the end of the day.

I passed everything except the Group Bourdon. I got 100% accuracy but not quite enough speed. The assessor said it was really close. Having passed everything else, including the more involved concentration tests, I'm absolutely gutted.

3 people from my test group made it through though which I'm really happy about because they were all really lovely people!

I'll try again in 6 months, I guess. Good luck everyone!
Gutted for you mate. Not the news we want to hear when we try very hard and revise for ages. Keep an eye out for new vacancies in the next few months as I've been told they'll do another recruitment drive.

Can I ask you what tests you had pls.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

utternoob

Applied for the (0746) position

Cricklewood, Hornsey, Train Crew Depot - Barnham, Train Crew Depot - Brighton, Train Crew Depot - Selhurst, Train Crew Depot - Victoria, Various, Welwyn Garden City

I live in Ilford anyone know the allowed travel times
Anyone else applied for this hear anything ?

Big dom

I have just had my assessment day for Thameslink. The morning was pen & paper tests and the afternoon was computer-aided tests. They marked us and gave us the results at the end of the day.

I passed everything except the Group Bourdon. I got 100% accuracy but not quite enough speed. The assessor said it was really close. Having passed everything else, including the more involved concentration tests, I'm absolutely gutted.

3 people from my test group made it through though which I'm really happy about because they were all really lovely people!

I'll try again in 6 months, I guess. Good luck everyone!
Sorry to hear that . Now that you have got this far you know what they are looking for and the assessment centre will be a breeze in comparison. How many were on the assessment if you don’t mind me asking ?

Chao888

I am still waiting for my test date they sent me a email to say April have been fully booked so have to wait for May

Big dom

I am still waiting for my test date they sent me a email to say April have been fully booked so have to wait for May
When did you pass mini scaat ? Just trying to work out how much notice we will have saying we can get an assessment

Chao888

When did you pass mini scaat ? Just trying to work out how much notice we will have saying we can get an assessment
I pass the Mini Scaat in Feb but they have been really good update with a email in terms of assessment date availability

Big dom

I pass the Mini Scaat in Feb but they have been really good update with a email in terms of assessment date availability
Thanks for that I only found out about mini scaat yesterday but would love a May assessment date

Stigy

Established Member
A post popped up on LinkedIn today saying GTR are advertising for trainees again across all their companies.

Quin79

A post popped up on LinkedIn today saying GTR are advertising for trainees again across all their companies.
Seems strange why when there are still so many people that haven't heard back yet re their applications from Feb. Especially when there are already people in talent pools that are still sat there. Wish we knew their plans re timescales

jacey

Yeah they have been i noticed a employee for GTR post a link on twitter for trainee drivers advertisement about 1 week ago. across the board.

I clicked the link it was definitely a live advert.

Stigy

Established Member
Seems strange why when there are still so many people that haven't heard back yet re their applications from Feb. Especially when there are already people in talent pools that are still sat there. Wish we knew their plans re timescales
Happens all the time, I’ve given up trying to understand why after such a (presumably) successful recruitment drive TOCs then re-advertise. The skeptic in me thinks it may have something to do with their quota of females (or other under-represented groups depending on the current climate/campaign) not being met?

Quin79

Happens all the time, I’ve given up trying to understand when after such a (presumably) successful recruitment drive they’re then re-advertising. The skeptic in me thinks it may have something to do with their quota of females not being met?
Could be that as does say in advert re females and BAME

387star

On Moderation
Happens all the time, I’ve given up trying to understand why after such a (presumably) successful recruitment drive TOCs then re-advertise. The skeptic in me thinks it may have something to do with their quota of females (or other under-represented groups depending on the current climate/campaign) not being met?
Yes this seems likely. Train companies are desperate to recruit females etc given the male domination in the industry

LCC106

Established Member
Regardless of female and BAME applicants they still need to get through the sift and pass the assessments and if they don’t pass, they don’t pass. I wonder if those who have applied simply aren’t meeting the criteria, no disrespect to anyone here.

Tiagobaltasar

Gutted for you mate. Not the news we want to hear when we try very hard and revise for ages. Keep an eye out for new vacancies in the next few months as I've been told they'll do another recruitment drive.

Can I ask you what tests you had pls.
briefly, you will hear and count how many specific sounds (there are high and low tones)
bourdon test
fault finding
memory test, read something then have a questionaire about it.
2 computer based tests.
you get through to the assesment you will be sent info, so dont worry

dzdoris

Regardless of female and BAME applicants they still need to get through the sift and pass the assessments and if they don’t pass, they don’t pass. I wonder if those who have applied simply aren’t meeting the criteria, no disrespect to anyone here.
Agreed. I've seen various females on this forum that have failed at certain stages.

It does sadden me when I see various comments on here that allude to females having a better chance because TOCS have to fill their quota for females. I can't say I've seen the same attitude directed towards BAME groups?

I also find it sad how applicants are grouped in this way. Shouldn't applicants be treated as applicants, regardless of their sex or skin colour?

Gs1

Yeah they have been i noticed a employee for GTR post a link on twitter for trainee drivers advertisement about 1 week ago. across the board.

I clicked the link it was definitely a live advert.
I didn't see this advertised on the website. What link was it

Stigy

Established Member
You are correct of course, but it may be that the required under representatives groups simply aren’t applying in the numbers they hoped their campaign would encourage.

hiccup88

I haven’t, but it doesn’t close until 31st March. Such an odd one given it’s only visible on a certain link and they’ve just done a huge recruitment drive.
Hi Trainmummy, do you still have the link? I've tried searching on linkedin and twitter but can't find anything live.

Thanks in advance!

Trainmummy

I don’t I’m afraid, I’ve no idea how to get back to it. It came up on Facebook and was a targeted ad for females in my area. It’s not visible on the careers site so I guess it only open to those targeted by their advertising. Sorry!

JAlexander

I received a further email last week advising that they were incredibly busy still and my Assessment Centre in Croydon will take place soon but no dates given. I am assuming it'll be May now.
Anyone else had any dates for May yet as April is all filled up.

20atthemagnet

i'm sorry to hear that. but, at least you know what you need to do to pass next time, and it sounds like you were very close so should be ok the next time round. sometimes it's just comes down to luck on the day. do you remember roughly how far you got down the page for the group bourdon?

Finishing the page on the group bourdon is irelevant, where somebody finishes on the page isn’t relevant either unless it’s very slow. A good indicator speed is making a strike every two seconds.

Several years after I qualified our company took part in a workshop with the OPC back in 2012 to talk about non-technical skills where we were able to look over our results and identify strengths and weaknesses. These tests get rid of so many applicants and the issues are always usually the following.

1. Being accurate but not being fast enough.

At the end of the day you are being timed for the vast majority of exercises. Don’t get hung up on making mistakes by trying to be overly careful. Move as briskly as you feel comfortable doing. If you’ve got time to rethink something you’re putting down then you’re probably going too slow.

2. Being too fast and making mistakes

The opposite of the above. Don’t get hung up on trying to finish the exercise. Fore most where are you are left to your own devices and being timed rarely anyone ever does unless they are a NASA super computer

3. spending too much time on an individual mark

This is the most common I think. People get thinking about an individual mark and waste a lot of time trying to put an answer down when in that time they could’ve answered another 3. That’s three marks lost overall. You don’t lose marks for not being able to answer a question. if you feel that is taking too much time move onto the next one to leave it blank.

4. Not understanding what is required in the first place

Don’t be afraid to ask the examiner if you don’t understand what is required from you. Ask them five times if you have to. Nobody is going to think you’re stupid. Seen it enough times where people feel embarrassed to say something.

5. Going back to correct things.

Goes back to spending time. If you have finished the exercise and have time to do this then fine. If you get three questions down and then have doubt that you’ve messed one up don’t even think about it, keep moving. Because if you go back and correct it and still get it wrong not only have you lost the mark of the question you’re trying to correct but you also lose potentially another two marks you spent in the time trying to correct your error.

Remember time versus accuracy. A strong pass is somebody who understands how to balance these perfectly and is efficient in how they utilise the time given to them to complete a task within a margin of accuracy.

Hopefully to those of you that haven’t done the tests or are in the process of taking the tests this information is useful. Obviously not everything is timed but generally stay away from these errors and you have a good chance. Now I wanna see a thread of everybody saying they’ve passed! :D

Last edited: