• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guard announcing connecting services to other operators' stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flitwickbeds

I have yet to hear announcements in a foreign language, however...
The Chiltern Railways trains automatically announce arrivals into Bicester Village (and normal alighting messages - "ensure you take all your luggage with you", etc) in both Arabic and Mandarin.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My party trick is "Gleis dreizehn für die anschlusszug nach Manchester Flughafen Bahnhof" but I don't get much opportunity to wheel that out of late :lol:
On ICE services prior to arrival at stops the screens list several connections and platforms, including notes if the connection is being held (or can't be held) in the event of the service you're on being late. These notes scroll between German, French and English (and possibly others depending on location).

As per the thread title, it would surely be more odd if a guard only announced connections with the same TOC and omitted other operators?

Aside, the auto announcer on GWR says on approach "change at Swindon for Kemble, Stonehouse and Stroud", anyone spot the potential for error there ? !!!
I've noticed that before. "Change at Swindon for Cheltenham Spa, Gloucester, Kemble, Stonehouse and Stroud". For some reason it is in alphabetical order rather than the order of the stations down the line.

sd0733

Established Member
ATW/TfW never announce(d) connections at Crewe or Warrington, despite nearly everybody alighting needing a connection.
It isnt Never announced as I certainly announce connections at Crewe for other Tocs as well as Stockport, Shrewsbury, Hereford and Newport.

When i was at my old TOC a regular passenger once came to me saying they had booked a flight out of Stansted because of my connection announcements as she didnt realise how easy it was to get to from her local station until I announced it, so even in the days of Apps and internet planners it can still come in handy even if its not there and then.

Steddenm

At Nuneaton I had a XC guard announce other TOCs.

"We will shortly be arriving at Nuneaton. Change here for London Northwestern Railway services to Rugby, Northampton, Milton Keynes Central, Watford Junction, London Euston, Tamworth, Litchfield Trent Valley, Rugeley Trent Valley, Stafford and Crewe; West Midlands Railway services to Bermuda Park, Bedworth, Coventry Arena, Coventry and Leamington Spa; Avanti West Coast services to Liverpool Lime Street, Chester, Prestatyn, Rhyl, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junction, Bangor and Holyhead and local CrossCountry services to Hinckley, Narborough, South Wigston and Leicester. Upon departure from Nuneaton the first stop on this service will be Leicester. Thank you for travelling with CrossCountry."

I must say the guard was really nice too. I was travelling to Luton and on arrival at Leicester he announced what platform the Luton train will be leaving from and the time.

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm not convinced that it's ever been of use to anyone, but I do enjoy approaching Ely and announcing "change here for services towards Kings Lynn and Norwich, and also for Liverpool Lime Street via Nottingham and Manchester Piccadilly". It's probably useless information but it just rolls off the tongue so easily!

When I bored as conductor I'd annouce for Ely as "Change here for connections to Peterborough, Kings Lynn, the Midlands, the North, the Southwest and Wales".

richw

Veteran Member
Wonder if Plymouth services have a guard on one of the locals eager to announce connecting services to Edinburgh or Glasgow!?
Have regularly heard on Penzance to Plymouth services terminated the platform numbers for onward services to Scotland, Paddington etc

Clansman

Established Member
Have regularly heard on Penzance to Plymouth services terminated the platform numbers for onward services to Scotland, Paddington etc
Interesting - must be a record on what has been mentioned distance wise.

Great to hear other examples of this, and fair play on all the staff on here who regularly go out their way to look up connections for passengers whom they know are continuing their journeys.

Established Member
The Chiltern Railways trains automatically announce arrivals into Bicester Village (and normal alighting messages - "ensure you take all your luggage with you", etc) in both Arabic and Mandarin.
Forgot about those. GTRs Gatwick Express branded trains announce in several languages onboard too when working a GX service.

Grecian 1998

Some XC guards announce connections including platform and times on the approach to Bristol TM. Others just announce the connections (anti bellum, no idea if they still do)
When XC guards do give connection information on approaching Bristol TM northbound, one of the first connections that always seems to be announced is for Portsmouth Harbour. This always seems rather odd given that there is no station on the standard XC SW axis calling pattern where Bristol is the obvious place to change for Portsmouth. I can't imagine many people travel from the SW to Portsmouth via Bristol.

Reading and London Paddington also sometimes get a mention even though in normal circumstances there is no apparent reason anyone would choose to take XC to Bristol and change rather than getting a direct service from Taunton or points west.

The other places XC guards usually mention are Cardiff, Bath, Swindon and Weymouth. The first three are logical, the latter is less odd than it might appear given how difficult it can be getting to Weymouth from Devon & Cornwall.

I did notice this week that the automated in-carriage announcements for southbound XC services at Exeter St Davids advertise changing for Exmouth, Barnstaple and Yeovil. 'Junction' is omitted, which might cause unwary travellers disappointment.

stuu

Established Member
When XC guards do give connection information on approaching Bristol TM northbound, one of the first connections that always seems to be announced is for Portsmouth Harbour. This always seems rather odd given that there is no station on the standard XC SW axis calling pattern where Bristol is the obvious place to change for Portsmouth. I can't imagine many people travel from the SW to Portsmouth via Bristol.
Connections at Westbury are disappointingly limited, going via Bristol is often the only practical solution. But I would agree the numbers involved who are going that way are pretty small. I guess it might often be the next train to Bath though, which will be useful for more passengers

WelshBluebird

Established Member
GWR tend to announce XC connections for Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway and TfW connections connections for Cardiff Central (the class 800s have auto announcements for some of it - was quite a surprise the first time I heard it say Treherbert!).

kez19

Established Member
Train services to and from Leuchars, the guards will announce Leuchars and mention the bus services to St Andrews.

At Perth train station: guards on Scotrail will announce connecting trains to Inverness

Not exactly a train service but on Newcastle's Metro the auto announcement will mention in areas on approach connecting bus/train services ie Newcastle Central.

Gathursty

Established Member
I wonder if any guard has challenged themselves at Shrewsbury, Llanelli, Swansea or Crewe to list all the Heart of Wales stations that can be a connection.

route101

Established Member
Train services to and from Leuchars, the guards will announce Leuchars and mention the bus services to St Andrews.

At Perth train station: guards on Scotrail will announce connecting trains to Inverness

Not exactly a train service but on Newcastle's Metro the auto announcement will mention in areas on approach connecting bus/train services ie Newcastle Central.

Interesting, I've never heard any guards announce connections on Scotrail services, even at Haymarket.

kez19

Established Member
Interesting, I've never heard any guards announce connections on Scotrail services, even at Haymarket.

I think it’s on the odd occasion it’s happened with me going to/from Glasgow, I think if it’s a Dundee local to Glasgow there isn’t much announcement made unless they have the auto announcer on, more than likely if train has came/going to Aberdeen.

I know LNER does as they do say at Haymarket other connections towards the west

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think what some XC guards might be doing is announcing the same list of connections without considering direction of travel? If you were arriving at Bristol from the north, then it would presumably be quite ok to announce Portsmouth. Another odd one I’ve heard approaching Basingstoke, “change here for Waterloo” which is fine northbound, but AIUI this would not be a valid route if coming from Reading. But they do often announce change here for Waterloo if heading south...

I don't do it unless I know we're running late and/or there is a specific connection I have a lot of people for. When I hear other Guards do it, half of them list random places or just miss some altogether and it just sounds weird.

TFN

I've heard a Southern OBS announce Thameslink connections approaching East Croydon.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I've heard a Southern OBS announce Thameslink connections approaching East Croydon.

Something I did at East Croydon before: "Change here for other Southern services to London Bridge/Victoria & services to Caterham, Tattenham Corner, Uckfield, East Grinstead / Brighton / Eastbourne / Reigate [delete as required] (or dependent on time of day "other Southern metro destinations"), Thameslink services to Blackfriars / London Bridge (after TL programme finished) and St Pancra, and Tramlink services from the front of the station"

There's so many potential changes at East Croydon which can also be made at either Three Bridges or Gatwick (going south) that the intention was to keep it reasonably brief. And also dependent on direction of travel makes some destinations more sensible than others!

vlad

I've arrived in Crewe on an East Midlands service and been given a long list of the next departures to all sorts of places, including time and platform. On the other hand I've arrived in Crewe on an East Midland service and had no announcement at all....

Sometimes though the well meaning guard can offer connections to stations after the last train has departed.
The last time I got a Northern service to Ravenglass there was an announcement to change there for the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway - only they weren't running that day. Given it was November I'm not sure when the next running day was!

SwindonBert

Reading and London Paddington also sometimes get a mention even though in normal circumstances there is no apparent reason anyone would choose to take XC to Bristol and change rather than getting a direct service from Taunton or points west.

The other places XC guards usually mention are Cardiff, Bath, Swindon and Weymouth. The first three are logical, the latter is less odd than it might appear given how difficult it can be getting to Weymouth from Devon & Cornwall.

I did notice this week that the automated in-carriage announcements for southbound XC services at Exeter St Davids advertise changing for Exmouth, Barnstaple and Yeovil. 'Junction' is omitted, which might cause unwary travellers disappointment.
It's odd they announce change at Temple Meads for Swindon when it's (nearly) always quicker & easier to change at Parkway

Clansman

Established Member
It's pretty common when on services through Perth.

"Passengers catching the XX:XX to Inverness can do so on platform 7".

I've only ever hear Haymarket connections being announced on busy Inverness-Edinburgh services when there's tourists on. One time we were running late and the guard tried to get a southbound Virgin service held by control for around 2 minutes so that a few passengers could make the connection - most notably a surgeon who needed to make the connection to operate on a soldier in Birmingham. Wasn't held, but yet again another amazing example on gaurds' concern for cross TOC connections.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
(You never quite get over that feeling of landing in Orlando and stepping off the air conditioned plane to that sudden impact of their temperatures!)

And the humidity.
Glasses instantly fogging up is a reminder you are in a different climatic zone!

Efini92

Established Member
I like the Northern PIS on the 195’s, it doesn’t seem to matter where you are on the network it will announce hebden bridge.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I like the Northern PIS on the 195’s, it doesn’t seem to matter where you are on the network it will announce hebden bridge.
Seemingly if you are actually at Hebden Bridge, it will announce incorrect information about the train being too long for the platform

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It isnt Never announced as I certainly announce connections at Crewe for other Tocs as well as Stockport, Shrewsbury, Hereford and Newport.
Would that be on a Marches service?
I'm normally on the TfW Chester shuttle, and mention of connections at Crewe is at best rare, in contrast to the Avanti equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.