• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guard Route Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillita

A friend of mine has an interview for a commercial guard position in the next few months. While preparing, they have stressed about the route learning aspect of the role, more specifically, what route knowledge is the guard meant to know, and how does that differ from the driver?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jlob2804

A couple of key things I think they have to know are all the stations in order of all the routes they'll cover.
Locations of starting signals, off indicators and banner repeaters etc (or lack of).
What facilities stations have e.g. Like if a disabled person can't get out on a certain platform due to no elevator access to the foot bridge.
The covered areas of signallers.
I think they might need to know bridge and junction names and where they could take you too but don't quote me on that.
That's a few things I heard from the ex guards on my course.
They give you route maps on the course though so just learn all the station facilities etc from them. Probably best to just start with the station names at first.

MiNi

A friend of mine has an interview for a commercial guard position in the next few months. While preparing, they have stressed about the route learning aspect of the role, more specifically, what route knowledge is the guard meant to know, and how does that differ from the driver?

Which depot has your friend applied for ?. They will not be expected to learn everything straight away. Like has been posted above,learn the basics first:sstations in order,accessibility for disabled persons etc.

J-P_L

Everything through from rules to traction to routes is structured and done in a way so it sinks in. From my experience the first route is the hardest to learn but once you’re into a routine and know what’s expected it becomes easier. When I learned my routes I used to write the key things down and memorise the list then put the location to the name and found that way worked for me.

At my TOC you need to know stations along the route (including ones not stopped at and dispatch arrangements for them in case you unexpectedly terminate etc), viaducts, tunnels (and lengths), junctions (and where they take you), crossings (and type), signal boxes and area
Controlled, type of signalling, direction of lines and if lines are bi directional, line names (up fast, down Normanton etc), OLE/3rd rail areas, station facilities, signals and off indicators, dispatch arrangements (RA/Flags etc).

It sounds a lot to learn but it all falls into place. I was dreading routes but once you do your first and sign it off, you’re in a routing and subsequent routes are
Much easier to learn.

dth

At my TOC you need to know stations along the route (including ones not stopped at and dispatch arrangements for them in case you unexpectedly terminate etc), viaducts, tunnels (and lengths), junctions (and where they take you), crossings (and type), signal boxes and area
Controlled, type of signalling, direction of lines and if lines are bi directional, line names (up fast, down Normanton etc), OLE/3rd rail areas, station facilities, signals and off indicators, dispatch arrangements (RA/Flags etc).

Thats was pretty much the same as me when I did my route learning for SWR. Although I didn't have to learn tunnel lengths.

Level crossings; there name, location and type is also important and PTI (platform-train interface) risks at each station too.

As said once you get the hang of it it does become easier.

Stigy

Established Member

I would personally not worry about this at all, and certainly not at this stage. As @J-P_L stated above, everything is structured so take it one step at a time.

I was a bit concerned about route learning too when I started my driving hours, but picked up a lot of it just through driving and I’ve not even started route learning yet. Admittedly it’s a bit different for guards, as it’s easier (for me anyway?) to retain information when you’re actually driving over a route than it is looking from a back cab or something, but I would imagine it levels itself out in terms of what drivers need to know and what Guards need to know?

Eccles1983

On Moderation

The guard and drivers knowledge is vastly different.

Drivers need to know everything regarding the lines, so linespeeds, gradients, loops, signalling systems and areas, Local instructions, diversion routes, junctions, tunnels and effectively anything operational on the line.

Guards don't need to know all of that in as much detail. What they do need to know is station related - such as dispatching oddities, location of ramps and accessable stations, starting signals platform lengths etc.

Each route is given a time to learn - defined by the Line of route risk assessment (LORRA) This can be ToC/FoC specific. Drivers have more risk to take care off and that's generally why drivers route learning is longer than guards.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.