• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guards Jobs Advertised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Arriva trains Wales and East Midlands Trains are advertising for Guards on thier websites at the moment if anyone is interested.

Based at Cardiff Central and Treherbert for Arriva. For East Midlands based at Lincoln and Norwich. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
Just fired off and e-mail to EMT about one of the posts in Lincoln. Could anyone give me an idea of the selection process? I would be grateful for any help. TIA.

( by the way I spellchecked my e-mail so hopefully my woeful spelling should'nt be a problem)

Established Member
I noticed ATW pulled the plug on the Holyhead Conductor advert...

Posted 3 Feb
Closing 20 Feb
- Advert pulled 9 Feb!??

So, did someone from Treherbert get a transfer north, and hundreds of applications were to no avail? Arriva's Crosscountry have always had habit of doing that, recently they advertised a job at Manchester four days after they had already offered it to a Bournemouth Guard, and left the advert up for three weeks. A friend warned me not to bother, but I'd applied anyway just in case.

I hope ATW won't sink to XC's standards.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I applied for Cardiff last time (valleys) Had the interview but didnt get a postion because i hadnt moved to Cardiff yet. Not looking for a move South anymore though.

Interestingly i didnt know that Cardiff depot is divided with Mainline Guards and valleys Guards. Interesting setup. Do you start as a valleys man then progress to mainline or is it two seperate jobs with no progression/promotion?

Bellwater

it's two different setups, on the Valleys Side all depots(Cardiff/Rhymney/Treherbert)sign the Valleys routes ex Cardiff Airport line.

Mainline you start doing Maesteg, Cardiff to Bridgend via Airport, Hereford and Cheltenham. then as you go up the links you gain more routes.

Scotrail84

Established Member
it's two different setups, on the Valleys Side all depots(Cardiff/Rhymney/Treherbert)sign the Valleys routes ex Cardiff Airport line.

Mainline you start doing Maesteg, Cardiff to Bridgend via Airport, Hereford and Cheltenham. then as you go up the links you gain more routes.

Thanks for the info. How far do these mainline men go? Whats the furthest destination they work a train to? :)

Bellwater

I stand to be Corrected:

Milford Haven
Crewe
Chester
Swansea(Local Stoppers)

Some will sign to Bristol and Pompey Harbour still i think.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I stand to be Corrected:

Milford Haven
Crewe
Chester
Swansea(Local Stoppers)

Nice bit of variety in there. I think a mainline guard at CDF would be a good job. Are there any on here that can let us know what its like working out of that depot?

Established Member
I noticed ATW pulled the plug on the Holyhead Conductor advert...

Posted 3 Feb
Closing 20 Feb
- Advert pulled 9 Feb!??

So, did someone from Treherbert get a transfer north, and hundreds of applications were to no avail? Arriva's Crosscountry have always had habit of doing that, recently they advertised a job at Manchester four days after they had already offered it to a Bournemouth Guard, and left the advert up for three weeks. A friend warned me not to bother, but I'd applied anyway just in case.

I hope ATW won't sink to XC's standards.
HHD was 10th Feb

tagzy

SWT are recruiting guards at numerous positions. Just got my application in online.

reapz

1st great western just put a load up internally normal 1 week after they go external

Established Member
Any Chester and Shrewsbury jobs without question should be given to the WSMR staff.

It's just wrong if ATW don't.

tempests1

Would be interested to know if they sign anything else than Gatwick-Reading and Turbos...

I had a freind that worked there. The money the FGW Conductors get at Redhill is very poor. The Southern Trains Guards are probably paid £6k more a year. I believe they also sign Reading to Paddington, & all the branches in between

Pumbaa

Established Member
Any Chester and Shrewsbury jobs without question should be given to the WSMR staff.

It's just wrong if ATW don't.

What if there's a better candidate? Or someone who has been out of work for over a year, rather thana few weeks?

Surely the job should go to the best candidate, regardless of background or circumstance?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member

Drivers still sign that neck of the woods, guards used to sign down to westbury iirc but seeing as it's been well over a year since ATW guards were utilised by FGW I doubt they still sign those routes.

BestWestern

Established Member
I stand to be Corrected:

Milford Haven
Crewe
Chester
Swansea(Local Stoppers)

ATW drivers still take FGW units to Brizzle, but not any further. Would just be too silly to use someone else's drivers to go that far I guess! Only slightly silly to use someone else's drivers to go to Bristol LOL

I'd have thought being based at Cardiff and stuck on the Valley Lines day in day out would be enough to drive anyone off the railway after a year or two....!! :cry:

Nick O. Teen

Would be interested to know if they sign anything else than Gatwick-Reading and Turbos...

Routes from Redhill are Gatwick - Reading and Reading - Basingstoke. Traction is Turbos only.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I had a freind that worked there. The money the FGW Conductors get at Redhill is very poor. The Southern Trains Guards are probably paid £6k more a year. I believe they also sign Reading to Paddington, & all the branches in between

Early turns at Redhill are quite lucrative, so I'm told. Also they get more Sunday work than us Reading folk. They don't sign Padd, that's a Reading job; Reading covers the Marlow branch, other branches being DOO.

airwolf21

I stand to be Corrected:

Milford Haven
Crewe
Chester
Swansea(Local Stoppers)

sorry to correct you further. Cardiff mainline have two links. Link one do crewe/chester, vale of glamorgan, maesteg, ebbw vale, cheltenham. Link two is the same but instead of crewe/chester they do carmarthen/milford haven

ATW conductor mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.