• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guards on Penalty Fare routes selling tickets on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I agree. If a station is in a Penalty Fare zone, discounted tickets shouldn't be offered to those who have boarded without buying. Full stop. This ought to be made clear company policy and Guards expected to ahere to it (as I believe happens at SWT?). What is also required is far better publicity, stronger signage - displayed inside trains as well just on the platforms, so that staff can actually refer passengers to the information - sufficient that there is a general awareness and understanding amongst passengers.

The current situation in many areas is along the lines of 'you can buy on board unless Revenue are about', which is deeply unfair and, in any other legal context, would pretty much deem the whole PF system null and void, I would think.
Gatwick Airport is within a penalty fare zone but Great Western Railway do not operate a Penalty Farr scheme between Guildford and Gatwick Airport. They do however between Guildford and Reading.

A friend saw some people being dealt with for not having a ticket at Gatwick Airport. He on the other hand said he'd come from Dorking Deepdene, which just have a ticket machine but perhaps wasn't working that day. Thus he was sold a ticket and on dealing with for not having a ticket.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PermitToTravel

Established Member
The machine at Deepdene doesn't take cash, so it's fairly normal for a guard to then come round and sell tickets to 20+ people. It can't be unusual for some to be missed (and certainly isn't unusual for them to not come round at all)

Established Member
I'm actually with London Midland on this one , many people get educated by staff about these things without financial penalty but then carry on so therefore I think a £20.00 penalty fare , which is a charge for an honest mistake is appropriate. It is a fair point that train companies should invest in ticket facilities but passengers also need to remember - if there is a ticket office use it. Has the person in question done this before and ended up going there and back for free? If so a penalty fare should cover any previous fares lost.

BestWestern

Established Member
I'm actually with London Midland on this one , many people get educated by staff about these things without financial penalty but then carry on so therefore I think a £20.00 penalty fare , which is a charge for an honest mistake is appropriate. It is a fair point that train companies should invest in ticket facilities but passengers also need to remember - if there is a ticket office use it. Has the person in question done this before and ended up going there and back for free? If so a penalty fare should cover any previous fares lost.

But if a person has 'done this before', is it still 'an honest mistake'?! By definition, a Penalty Fare is not intended for cases of intentional fare evasion.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't think a charge (other than the fare due) is appropriate for an honest mistake. The original idea of the PF is that establishing intent is unnecessary. If that is going to be established each time, the PF should be abolished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.