• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guards Role Interview Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthWalesSam

Hello all,

More out of nerves and feeling the need to be prepared as much as possible for my interview tomorrow i'm looking for advice on if I have any gaps in what I have prepared for.

I have a guards interview with Transport for Wales and so far have learnt all I can and refreshed my knowledge of Transport for Wales including the South Wales Metro improvements,
I have practiced interview questions and answered some STAR example questions I found around the internet
I am lucky in my current job as I have been able to speak to some conductors on train services in my current role regarding their role and what I can learn from their advice
I have also looked at the role on NCS as well as the advertisement I responded to which I found the role as
  • check the carriages are clean before the start of a journey
  • Safe dispatch of the train at stations
  • make sure equipment, doors and controls are working properly
  • walk through carriages during the journey to check tickets and travel documents
  • answer passengers' questions about routes, arrival times, and connections
  • make announcements over the public address system
  • make sure passengers get on and off the train safely
  • deal with unexpected delays or emergencies, for example, a passenger falling ill
  • Excellent customer service and helping passengers with any passenger assistance
  • Be on the lookout for vulnerable or distressed passengers
  • Ensure the safety of the train at all times in accordance with the rule book and training
  • Using the railway protocols (I am aware of what they are but won't divulge here as I'm not sure if they are for public domain) for unattended packages, and suspicious behaviors.
  • Reporting all lost property and dealing with it in accordance with company protocol
What if anything am I missing!? I know it's last-minute but anything I can brush up on if any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WombleGuard

Sounds like you've done a terrific amount of research.

Make sure you have Star examples of working under pressure, changing priorities, working as part of a team successfully, dealing with hostility.

Remember safety always number 1, followed by on time performance

Let us know how you get along and best of luck.

SouthWalesSam

Sounds like you've done a terrific amount of research.

Make sure you have Star examples of working under pressure, changing priorities, working as part of a team successfully, dealing with hostility.

Remember safety always number 1, followed by on time performance

Let us know how you get along and best of luck.

Thank you!! I have had another look at my star examples (Put them in a word document and answered in writing/bullet points) and on reflection think I should have another example of some working as part of a team and changing priorities to better cover those points (Thank you for that!) Luckily I already work for a TOC so am used to some hostility and resolution, hate it at the time but I suppose experience is good!

Good to see priorities are the same everywhere! Always drilled in safety first!

Thank you for your reply! Glad to know I have done a good amount, and good to know about the examples range (I used generic ones and questions I had been given for my current role)

Thank you again, I shall update when I know more! Also the SCAAT tool on the forum was a diamond in helping me pass!

SouthWalesSam

Not sure yet, haven't heard back, a bit too early yet, think the nerves got the better of me at the start definitely, prepared for everything bar the nerves! I thought of a couple of things after I didn't mention but there you go! Besides that I did my best and am hopeful!

Rover77

Can't do anymore than your best. Good luck my fingers are crossed for you.

Rj89

Passed my interview! Now in a Talent pool waiting for a start date :D Thank you both for the luck wishing and reassurance!
Congrats Sam! I'm waiting in the pool myself for conductor in rhymney station been 2 months Tuesday haven't heard anything yet! Let me know if you hear something.

Last edited:

Rich.16

Hey

Can anyone tell me the type of questions you got in your interview?

Where the people nice and made you feel relaxed or was it very full on?

Got an interview next week so any help would be great!

Thanks

Rj89

Hey

Can anyone tell me the type of questions you got in your interview?

Where the people nice and made you feel relaxed or was it very full on?

Got an interview next week so any help would be great!

Thanks

Hi rich
My interviewers were brilliant made me feel at ease because I was very nervous. The interview was broken down into a few sections customer service etc but best advice I can give you is make sure you use the STAR technique, loads of videos on YouTube regarding it, but the questions I prepared for wasn’t the questions I got, but most are example based questions. Really hope this helps you and goodluck let us know how you get on!

Last edited:

Rich.16

Hi. Many thanks for your reply and thanks for your advise

Had the interview and yes the two interviewers were really good! Definitely made it alot better and calmed my nerves.
I was the same I practiced alot of different scenarios to different questions and then they throw in one iv never even heard of! So was stuck so thought id messed it all up but got a call today and I am in the talent pool!! Can't believe it!!

WombleGuard

Had the interview and yes the two interviewers were really good! Definitely made it alot better and calmed my nerves.
I was the same I practiced alot of different scenarios to different questions and then they throw in one iv never even heard of! So was stuck so thought id messed it all up but got a call today and I am in the talent pool!! Can't believe it!!
Congratulations!

HST274

Thank you first time applying for any role on the trains so wasn't expecting it as seen so many people having to apply and apply after knock backs so I'm well chuffed
Congratulations! May I ask what previous experience you have had that may have helped you?
Robert

Rich.16

Congratulations! May I ask what previous experience you have had that may have helped you?
Robert
Thank you
Previously I have worked for Rolls Royce on there inspection team and also Bus driver for First Group.
So the safety part from both of them I believe helped me, I maybe wrong but that's all I can think of.

WombleGuard

Thank you
Previously I have worked for Rolls Royce on there inspection team and also Bus driver for First Group.
So the safety part from both of them I believe helped me, I maybe wrong but that's all I can think of.
You should be chuffed, it's a great achievement. We heard at work today that there are no guards courses planned until Q2 2022 now so prepare yourself for a bit of a wait. But it's so worth the wait

Rj89

Excellent news rich! I was the same I thought I’d messed up the interview got stuck on a couple of questions but found out 2 days later I was in the talent pool!! Amazing feeling! Which depot did you apply for?

Rich.16

Awww nice congrats!

Yh when you really want a job and then you get thrown a curve ball question it hits hard after wen you think its all over lol
I actually tagged into this chat as it was about Conductors ect but I'm actually going with gwr.
Does anyone know about shift patterns and holidays ect?

Jacob Didcote

Awww nice congrats!

Yh when you really want a job and then you get thrown a curve ball question it hits hard after wen you think its all over lol
I actually tagged into this chat as it was about Conductors ect but I'm actually going with gwr.
Does anyone know about shift patterns and holidays ect?
What depot did you go for at GWR? I've applied for a conductor position as well!

Rich.16

What depot did you go for at GWR? I've applied for a conductor position as well!
I first applied for Gloucester but they said it was to far to travel so they said when Bristol Temple Meads came up I could get an interview there so now in the talent pool for there. Where did you go for?

Jacob Didcote

I first applied for Gloucester but they said it was to far to travel so they said when Bristol Temple Meads came up I could get an interview there so now in the talent pool for there. Where did you go for?
Ah i've got an interview for Gloucester in 2 weeks!

Rich.16

Ah i've got an interview for Gloucester in 2 weeks!
Awww nice!! Good luck! Yh I applied there in 2019 passed everything but didn't interview me due to travel time but gave me the opportunity in Bristol so was really happy.
Let me know how it goes mate!

Jacob Didcote

Awww nice!! Good luck! Yh I applied there in 2019 passed everything but didn't interview me due to travel time but gave me the opportunity in Bristol so was really happy.
Let me know how it goes mate!
I definitely will do. Heard they are only taking on one! Put me through all the assessments within a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.