• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guards/TM's Talking to Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

diffident

I was on a journey from Birmingham to Euston the other day, and it had me wonder....

How often, if at all, in a normal journey of that length, would the driver be in contact with the guard/conductor/train manager?

Do both parties communicate often, or do they both just go about their business?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

74A

It's quite rare due to the fact it will be distracting to the driver. If you are running under green signals the driver will usually answer but they don't have to if the consider it unsafe to do so.

dk1

Veteran Member
Quite a bit usually especially like yesterday when there was a door issue. Then for a cuppa/ice cream/breakfast sometimes during the shift too if staying together. Doesn’t bother me answering even if on restrictive signals. I can multi-task.

O L Leigh

Established Member
In normal circumstances you wouldn't expect to be chatting with the guard at all, but if the wheels fall off then you could be chatting with them quite a bit. Obviously we'll have a natter at each end but once the wheels are turning then it becomes only as a matter of operational necessity.

craigybagel

Established Member
If you've got request stop working that will require a lot more interaction between the two one way or another.

Many of the jobs at my depot sees the driver and guard paired together for the entire shift which does make things better I reckon. You have your break together and if there's disruption at least you're both in the same boat.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
In normal running (assuming no request stops on route) there wouldn’t be much need. In some form of degraded working (say the bell buzzer isn’t working properly) or disruption (faults on board, special stops, running fast, infrastructure failure etc.) the comms would obviously ramp up. The guard would want to speak to driver to find out what’s going on to tell passengers (although some drivers will happily give this direct). It will vary by crew.

Established Member
I was on a journey from Birmingham to Euston the other day, and it had me wonder....

How often, if at all, in a normal journey of that length, would the driver be in contact with the guard/conductor/train manager?

Do both parties communicate often, or do they both just go about their business?

Where I am it’s considered good practice for drivers and TMs to confirm stops on each others’ diagrams at the start of each journey. We won’t then generally speak as a matter of course, unless something untoward happens. Usually TMs know more about why delays are happening than drivers do unless we have spoken to the signaller.

Some TMs ask if you’d like a cuppa, and when to bring it in to you. Of course there’s no obligation on them to do this, but it is always much appreciated on longer runs!

Mak1981

Driver to guard

"Can you check traksy to see why we are getting yellows"

"Can you bring me up a tea at xyz"

Guard to driver

"Control want to know if you will work your pass train home?"

"there's an earlier pass home on the cards as late running service but only got 2 minutes to get it"

"were terminating at xyz control want to know if you will shunt it there?"

Just a few I have had this week, lots of trivial messages etc

LowLevel

Established Member
It depends. Quite often never. We are meant to confirm stops and any issues at the start of the trip/at a crew change but otherwise it's entirely down to what is going on.

I might call the driver at a convenient moment to say there's some disruption further along or a train fault (most of my traction requires some teamwork, it will tell the driver there's an engine out somewhere but that's it, the guard gets dispatched down the train to find out which!), or to relay a control instruction.

I don't do small talk, it distracts both of us from our job. I might at a push if we are running well ring up to ask if they want a brew fetching at a convenient location but that's it.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Its quite rare at my TOC to spend the day with the same driver. Also there's so many new ones it's hard to know which depot they're from unless you look on Genius.
On branch work you see the drivers when changing end so there's time for a quick hello when passing. However on the mainline it's quite possible to have no interaction with the driver at all especially if you're relieving a guard halfway but the driver works through.

dk1

Veteran Member
It’s such a pity they don’t really come up front anymore. It always helped me get through a monotonous late late shift.

dctraindriver

Quite a bit usually especially like yesterday when there was a door issue. Then for a cuppa/ice cream/breakfast sometimes during the shift too if staying together. Doesn’t bother me answering even if on restrictive signals. I can multi-task.
Never on a single yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.