• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess the Aircraft (Plane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
OK, new one, thought I'd start one for a change...

It must be a post 1945 aircraft (So young'uns have a chance!) and must have been able to have been seen regularly in the UK, Europe or North America, or still be seen regularly in the UK. (Soviet models must be specified if not ovious)

Rules Update:

Also Mr Nym could I request a clarification on the rules? Does the aircraft have to have been designed, tested and seen service after 1945? Or will you allow something that was designed and tested pre 1945 but saw service after 1945?

So long as the aircraft was in regular service post 1945, but some reasonable judgement could be used, eg. A Manchester Bomber wasn't used post war, but a Lancaster was... that kind of thing.

Also, "Mr Nym", feels like I'm being begged for a ride home after an event where I'm the only one not drinking...

Lets start with an easy one...

Attachments

• guesstheplane1.jpg
    guesstheplane1.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Slight rules change so I can have this one...

guesstheplane2.jpg

Should be rather easy...

Oh, and I've got endless possiblities of these, so guess away if you know it...

Yew

Established Member
by any chance would it be the F-117 Nighthawk

Nym

Established Member
It would indeed...

800px-F-117_Nighthawk_Front.jpg

Yew

Established Member
Yup, could you tell because its the best looking plane ever? (imagine if they never had the problems with the windows, it could have been what the 707 was)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yup, could you tell because its the best looking plane ever?

No, but it is a good looking plane (not the best ever in my eye however, that honour goes to the Avro Vulcan). I was able to get it because I know only a few jets that have that engine layout (a couple of Soviet and a couple of British) so I went for what my gut felt was the most likely.

(imagine if they never had the problems with the windows, it could have been what the 707 was)

Hmm, maybe but the 707 had a greater carrying capacity, range and speed. I think more likely is that had the Comet been really successful we would have produced a different plane that would have been a 707 beater (some sort of Super Comet perhaps).

Anyway that's the long way of saying open floor...

Nym

Established Member
Taken, this is not a european or american design, and if you know it, very easy...!

Attachments

• guesstheplane3.png
    guesstheplane3.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 16

Nym

Established Member
Correct, and found the picture I ripped it off from, well done to both, but ainsworth74 was first :)

To confirm it is... Антонов Ан-225 Мрія

Seen here with another aircraft that will be missed...

800px-Antonov_An-225_with_Buran_at_Le_Bourget_1989_Manteufel.jpg

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seen here with another aircraft that will be missed...

Spacecraft surely? ;)

Though I agree with the sentiments, then again at least the Russians are still in the manned space-flight business. They might not have got to the Moon but personally I think they won the long game when it comes to the space race!

Anyway onwards!

(Should be nice and easy)

Attachments

• guess.jpg
    guess.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 8

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it a post 1945 aircraft there Mr Ainsworth??

And I don't know it, not a clue on the early american stuff.

Most certainly! I'll throw you a couple of hints as I'm not wanting this to go on for too long, it's a jet aircraft that was used by the US Navy and was famous for being the last to use something as a primary armament.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
F1, f2, f3, f4, f5, f6, f7, f8, f9, f10, f11, f12, f13?

Damn spell checker, the're ment to be capital 'F's

Don't have to take any of these as the answer, I'm just spamming upto the F14 ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well it certainly isn't a Tomcat (I've always thought that the F-14 is a nice looking plane). But you're in the right range there with all your F's! Try something in the single figure range ;)

Okay let's make this even easier:

1) The French Navy (Aéronavale) also used this aircraft.

2) It's main service for the USN was in Vietnam (but it had been introduced some years previously in the 1950s).

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I dun know Pre F14 stuff...

Kids these days only focused on the modern stuff, don't know their history :roll:

;):lol:;)

Well your choice is to go try and find it (it shouldn't be hard with the clues I've given you) or to wait it out until someone else comes along.

Yew

Established Member
the F3? If I'm right, open floor as I'm off to bed. (I have one for tomorrow though :) )

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can see why you think that but no as it falls down on the French Navy clue.

deltic1989

Established Member
F8 Crusader?? If I'm correct I have one.

Also Mr Nym could I request a clarification on the rules? Does the aircraft have to have been designed, tested and seen service after 1945? Or will you allow something that was designed and tested pre 1945 but saw service after 1945?

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member

So long as the aircraft was in regular service post 1945, but some reasonable judgement could be used, eg. A Manchester Bomber wasn't used post war, but a Lancaster was... that kind of thing.

Also, Mr Nym, feels like I'm being begged for a ride home after an event where I'm the only one not drinking...

Kids these days only focused on the modern stuff, don't know their history :roll:

This kid these days needs to focus on modern stuff... The numerous books on avionics I have sat behind me show as to why I know about the modern things. (Off on a slight tanjent, why aren't I applying for a position at the University of Manchester Aerospace Research Institute (UMARI))

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This kid these days needs to focus on modern stuff... The numerous books on avionics I have sat behind me show as to why I know about the modern things.

Fair enough, I'm only kidding around anyway ;)

Also deltic1989 is correct with the F-8 Crusader also known as The Last Gunfighter due to it being the last US jet to use guns as it's main armament.

Attachments

• F-8E_VF-211_landing_on_CVA-31_1967.jpg
    F-8E_VF-211_landing_on_CVA-31_1967.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 8

deltic1989

Established Member
Yay!!!!! I got one of these quizes right :smile: .

Heres the next one should only take a few mins.

Attachments

• guess the aeroplane.jpg
    guess the aeroplane.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 12

Schnellzug

Established Member
Now, your first thought would be Lancaster, but that would be too obivous, and also some might quibble about the post-1945 rule. Therefore, I'd say Avro Lincoln.

Status
Not open for further replies.