• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess the railway line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nope. Under normal circumstances all services are operated by the same TOC.

gnolife

Established Member
This mostly non-electrified line is a branch off a 25kV electrified main line. Until very recently, there was a train running from the southern terminus to beyond the northern terminus, with an EMU running a part route. Now, all services on the line are DMU, apart from (sometimes) one evening peak service.

It clearly is the Buxton line. Gnolife has abandoned us. Lampshade's floor.

gnolife

Established Member
Sorry about that, I'd forgotten that I had one up on here, it is the Buxton line :(

Welshman

Established Member
OK, try this:-

This line used to connect with a trunk route whose closure has been much-lamented.
It is now mainly singled.
It runs over several interesting viaducts.

Welshman

Established Member
Not the Cambrian Coast line - sorry.

Let me give some clues:-

Services on this line now go through to one of the cities previously served by the closed trunk line, but by a more roundabout route, and to a different station in the city.

As mentioned, the closure of the original trunk route has been lamented on this forum.

It is in the North of England.

Hopefully, that will make it easier.

Welshman

Established Member
Sorry - the line from Liverpool to Manchester via Chat Moss is not mainly singled.

Welshman

Established Member
Sorry - no to both.

I'm not aware of the line through Giggleswick being mainly singled, nor of the Ormskirk to Preston line feeding into a new closed and much missed trunk line.

Welshman

Established Member
Yes - Penistone line it is. Well done!

The much-lamented trunk-line closure was of course that of the Woodhead line between Manchester and Sheffield via Dunford Bridge and Penistone.

There are also some fascinating viaducts on the Huddersfield-Penistone line, including Penistone Viaduct itself, which collapsed under the weight of a train in its earlier days!

Your floor.

(Sorry about the wait.)

*This line is now a small branchline.
*It used to be used for a much more important purpose.
*It may need to fulfill that purpose again in the future.

Nope.
*The reason it may need to be reused is because of nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.