• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess The Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
I came up with this one on the way back from the Cross. It might be a bit tough but there's always the FCC journey planner!

To start with, someone names a terminus/high importance station. HST services have to stop at or start there. For example, London Kings Cross, Stevenage, Peterborough, whatever....
If it's not then this will become to hard.

The objective is to guess the destination station. You must give clues, which include

A) Where the train starts
B) The time
C) A station it travels via

The service can be run by ANY train operating company. It just has to involve a terminus/high importance station or things will get too difficult. You can do companies that head into Europe as well.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
So, you mean something like this?

A)From Liverpool Lime Street
B)To Stalybridge
C)Calls at Manchester Piccadilly
D)Departs Lime Street at 22:30

This whole thing seems a bit too easy for me!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
At least remove the time I would suggest as you could just go to a journey planner and find the answer that way!

Ivo

Established Member
A different idea: Dump the destination. Looking on the Journey Planner is cheating and is usually banned from things like this. If you drop the time, there could potentially be multiple answers (e.g. PLY - PNZ could in theory be XC).

To showcase it, I'll do an easy one without the destination, but you will see the difference:

London Liv St
12:13
via Romford

What I would then suggest is that the destination becomes the answer, and not the TOC. The TOC could be added to the clues if required.

Ivo

Established Member
If you go with the idea I proposed, then Southend Vic is correct. Otherwise, NXEA is correct.

Why has this thread gone so quiet...? Have I sabotaged it by proposing a change that makes it harder? Sorry :(

17 posts within the thread's first hour isn't too shabby. Have some patience!

If you want, here's one for you

London Paddington
04:42
via Southall

TOC or destination or both - whatever you prefer.

Ivo

Established Member
Just had a look in the TT...

It gets to Heathrow before HX even start!

The other problem is though is that I was fairly sur that xx12 is an FGW slow path, so Reading seemed a sensible answer. I shall remember that one! :D

Ivo

Established Member

Marlow?

Actually, scratch that; Bourne End? It just occurred to me that most peak trains to Marlow are shuttles from Bourne End and that the few PAD trains run to Bourne End...

Status
Not open for further replies.