Guess the Station...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Archive time again then... while this is obviously somewhere on the Southern area, where exactly is it...?

Attachments

• Peter Archive 2513.jpg
    Peter Archive 2513.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 33

steamybrian

Established Member
Archive time again then... while this is obviously somewhere on the Southern area, where exactly is it...?
Peter,

Sorry- I query whether your photograph was taken at Ashford.
The old layout prior to rebuilding in 1990 were two island platforms the present platforms 1, 2, 3 and 4. Platforms 1 and 2 (upside) as now. Platforms 3 and 4 (downside) which subsquently became the Eurostar platforms. Platforms 5 and 6 were new platforms built after 1986. Between platforms 2 and 3 were the two fast lines as now.
Can you re-examine your records as one member plus myself are convinced it is Sevenoaks.

ls2270

Peter,

The old layout prior to rebuilding in 1990 were two island platforms the present platforms 1, 2, 3 and 4. Platforms 1 and 2 (upside) as now. Platforms 3 and 4 (downside) which subsquently became the Eurostar platforms. Platforms 5 and 6 were new platforms built after 1986. Between platforms 2 and 3 were the two fast lines as now.
Can you re-examine your records as one member plus myself are convinced it is Sevenoaks.
I was very surprised when my Sevenoaks answer came out as wrong as I was pretty convinced that’s where it was and that footbridge is quite distinctive. I only then went for Ashford as I knew it had a footbridge in pre International days but couldn’t remember exactly what it looked like.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Peter,

On it.... Gimme 5 mins....

Right... the photo before that is definitely Ashford, taken at 13.53. The photo after it is definitely Orpington, taken at 15.28.

The time I have written down for the picture in question is 14.09; I suspect that it is indeed Sevenoaks ( in which case it should be ls2270's floor ) and I must have the time wrong as well... 15.09 would make more sense wouldn't it?

I think you must be right and I will amend my albums and database immediately, and apologies to all.

I'll do a picture of the album page in a minute on my phone and add it in here for context - with the amendment made! ( Done - don't know why it's come out sideways, and apologies for the lack of sharpness - had problems with reflections from the skylights and windows and ended up having to hold the page at a funny angle and try using the phone with one hand... but the preceding and subsequent images are clearly Ashford and Orpington. )

Attachments

• IMG_20210114_121829.jpg
    IMG_20210114_121829.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

ls2270

On it.... Gimme 5 mins....

Right... the photo before that is definitely Ashford, taken at 13.53. The photo after it is definitely Orpington, taken at 15.28.

The time I have written down for the picture in question is 14.09; I suspect that it is indeed Sevenoaks ( in which case it should be ls2270's floor ) and I must have the time wrong as well... 15.09 would make more sense wouldn't it?

I think you must be right and I will amend my albums and database immediately, and apologies to all.

I'll do a picture of the album page in a minute on my phone and add it in here for context - with the amendment made! ( Done - don't know why it's come out sideways, and apologies for the lack of sharpness - had problems with reflections from the skylights and windows and ended up having to hold the page at a funny angle and try using the phone with one hand... but the preceding and subsequent images are clearly Ashford and Orpington. )
Thanks for such a comprehensive explanation! Don’t worry we all
make mistakes...especially when it comes to something from 34 plus years ago!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks for such a comprehensive explanation! Don’t worry we all
make mistakes...especially when it comes to something from 34 plus years ago!

Thank you. I most likely made the error right back then when I put the photo in my original scrapbook albums and simply copied it over when I moved the pictures into proper photo albums about ten years ago - and then of course into my database last week! :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

steamybrian

Established Member
Thank you. I most likely made the error right back then when I put the photo in my original scrapbook albums and simply copied it over when I moved the pictures into proper photo albums about ten years ago - and then of course into my database last week! :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
Thanks for investigating and your replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks for investigating and your replies.
When the restrictions are lifted, perhaps I should invite you round to go through all my photo albums looking for similar blunders!

Seriously, though, I should be thanking you because otherwise I probably wouldn't have ever found it.