• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess the station

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgantyreman

:newb: RIGHT, hello
heres how we play. I give some clues and you guess the station.
First one to get it right gets the next go, easy really.
RIGHT,
CLUE 1- I am a station with 2 platforms and a throught road at the back.

CLUE 2- I am regualy used by Northern 142's and 156's.

CLUE 3- I have terminating 158's

CLUE 4- I have 2 of my lines heading to the coast.
FIANLY
CLUE 5- I have fright running through me regualy

There will be more clues later if people need them.

ENJOY MORGAN

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh may I have a turn now?

Clue 1 - I have 5 bay platforms

Clue 2 - Platform 1 is mostly open air and is also extremely long

Clue 3 - The squark of a seagull may be a familiar sound

Clue 4 - There used to be a station halt just outside of me where trains would reverse back onto another line heading northwards

Where am I? (More clues to come if you need them)

EDIT: Sorry I have realised that I seem to have stolen the turn of theblackwatch. Hope you don't mind!

clagmonster

Established Member
From clue 4 it must be Scarborough, as I think that was unique. Seagulls and long platform 1 just confirm it.

morgantyreman

ok so we are prity sure that ists scarbrough so i want another go,

CLUE 1- I HAVE 6 PLATFORMS ( sorry 5, i got it wrong :cry: )

CLUE 2- YOU CAN GO 4 DIFRENT WAYS FROM ME

CLUE 3- YOU CAN GET TO THE S+C FROM ME

right thats your lot. More clues later if needed

THANKS MORGAN

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
danannis said:
Is it Preston???
I suppose it must be, as the 'DalesRail' service does the rare Hellifield-Chitheroe section on Summer Sundays so you can get directly from there to the S&C on occasion!

But you can go 5 ways out of Preston: North (WCML), West (Blackpool), East (Blackburn), South (WCML) and SouthWest (Ormskirk).
[EDIT]
Coxster said:
Carlisle? Can't remember the layout of it though.
Has 8 platforms.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've now been told it is not Preston - so I asked if an error had been made (as I severely doubt anywhere else would have fitted the description), and indeed it has. The station concerned only has 5 platforms. I cannot enter though as I now know the answer!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
danannis said:
Is it Bradford then???
Neither Forster Square (nor Interchange - although I realise you didn't mean that ;)) has that many platforms.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Yay! Ok, here goes!

Clue 1: I sleep now, but once I was busy.

Clue 2: When built I had all the amenities a passenger could require, including numerous waiting rooms, refreshment rooms, and even a ladies only tea room.

Clue 3:
I had twelve platforms. Four of them were through platforms, and the remainder were bay platforms.

Clue 4: My canopy had but three spans.

Clue 5:
I needed four signalboxes to control me, but only two of them to keep me working.

Clue 6: Trains to Derby, Skegness, Crewe, Newcastle, Bournemouth, York, London and Manchester, amongst other destinations, came through my platforms.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Clue 1: You can go 4 ways from me, but only 3 ways have direct regular passenger services.

Clue 2: Most trains don't stop here.

Clue 3: I have 3 platforms, at all 3 tracks, although there used to be 4 tracks.

Clue 4: One of my platforms is relatively new and is some distance from the others.

Clue 5: Trains overtake here, but only in one direction. A completely different arrangement for overtaking exists in the other direction.

Good luck!

morgantyreman

oooooo i know where this is but i dont know the name, let me do some research!

Maybe not, thought it was mirfield but you cant go 4 diffrent ways

Wait, it is mirfield,
Clue 1= Leeds,leeds,hudderfield way, and theres a branch line thing going off the huddersfield way.The quary i thinks
Clue 2= only stoppers stop here and theres 1 a hour but TPE'S run past here every 10 min or so.
Clue 3=theres a irland platform with 2 platforms and theres a new ish wooden platform on the other side, and down a bit.
Clue 5= TPE'S overtake the slows here

Tomnick

Established Member
Indeed, I'd have said Mirfield - you've got the main L&Y main line heading east towards Wakefield (Kirkgate) and west towards Hebden Bridge and the north west (that's your 'rare' passenger line). Going west, the Huddersfield line branches off to the left at Heaton Lodge, and to the east your line to Leeds via Dewsbury branches off at Thornhill LNW Jn. (though nowadays it's the 'main' line from that junction).

Aaaand, thinking about it (hence the edit!) - I suppose the 'overtaking arrangement' in the opposite direction is the reason Dewsbury's still got a loop on the down but not the up?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes it is Mirfield.

I knew TomNick would get it ;), but looks like you just pipped him to it Morgan! Well done, your go.
[EDIT]
Tomnick said:
Aaaand, thinking about it (hence the edit!) - I suppose the 'overtaking arrangement' in the opposite direction is the reason Dewsbury's still got a loop on the down but not the up?
Indeed. Is this stretch of track (Leeds-Hudds) unique in the way that overtaking is done so differently in one direction compared to the other, I wonder...

morgantyreman

Right,ermm

CLUE 1. This station has 2 platforms.

CLUE 2. This station has a level crossing out side of it ( north bound )

CLUE 3.
Trains always stop here apart from the odd early morning commuter express to london.

CLUE 4. The main line semifast go to london liverpool street.

CLUE 5. The level crossing bariers go down 4min and 21 seconds befor a train comes into sight ( not like that helps )

More clues to come if needed

enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.